demopublican

Where will Maryland be ranked?

180 posts in this topic

On the ACC- the rationale for putting Cuse in the dance was complete BS

On the ACC- the rationale for putting Cuse in the dance was complete BS

Totally agree!

As much as I love March Madness, I really hate how smaller, deserving schools such as Monmouth and St. Bonaventure are squeezed out by some of the big name programs---most notably Syracuse and Michigan this year.

The biggest strike against the small schools is the strength of their schedules, but the big programs do them zero favors by flatly refusing to play them. Another reason why I almost always pull for the underdog come Madness.

Based on the entire season, I would add Vandy to that list before either Syracuse or Mich.

Vandy plays in the weak SEC (ie, only 3 bids), and they beat 2 teams (all year) that are headed to the dance. Unimpressive.

But yeah, I agree that it's tough for smaller schools to get noticed. I suspect some of this has to do with revenue....big schools have a huge alumni base. I just read the other day that the Big Ten, even excluding Rutgers and Maryland, have over 150,000 active alumni in the DC area. That usually translates into $$ when filling up stadiums/arenas.

Filling arenas isn't what's driving this..or at least it shouldn't be. It's about ratings. Monmouth had a better away record than nearly every D1 school, and they're on the outside looking in. To..placate Syracuse alumni? That doesn't wash. I mean, when you boil it down: it doesn't matter if it's Kansas, Kentucky, UConn and UNC in the final four or if it's Duke, Mich St, Texas and Monmouth. 

March Madness makes $ hand over fist. 

What gets me is that Syracuse were pretty forgettable this year for many reasons, but most notably: they failed to build a bullet proof resume on the two dozen opportunities they had to do so.

Teams like Monmouth can only play the schedule they fight to build. Any given season - you can circle the dates that will make or break their season. Syracuse? They get 30 chances and so long as they win 18 or so games... Meh. They finished tied for 8th in the ACC. They broke even. It's pathetic they're 'in'. 

Consider another item that goes against Monmouth given their limited opportunity to impress the committee: they need to win those games (and even when they're told to do it on the road), and when they win those games, they literally need those teams they've defeated to at least maintain their RPI. Disingenuous. Plain and simple.

"It's about ratings"

Of course. Name recognition is king, and TV ratings rein supreme.

But It's not about "placating" any alumni base. It's about balancing name recognition, fan support, with quality/merit of those under consideration. Idealistically, merit should rule....but basketball, like football is big business, so sometimes, merit doesn't win out. Business concerns do.

Last year, the revenue from March Madness was about $900mill. Most of that was from TV revenue, but $100 mil was due to ticket sales. Ultimately, the Nielson ratings set TV revenue. The fact that the NCAA makes $ hand over fist is irrelevant. More money, and reduced costs are always the business objectives.

That said, nobody will convince me that any school with zero name recognition, and a minuscule fan/alumni profile, can compete with a large school, with an alumni base approaching a million loyal fans....in generating higher viewership....on TV or at the arena. That alumni fan base impacts both butts in seats, as well as viewership.

Oh, and as an aside, alma maters even in getting that first job. Most large schools have alumni at all levels, in most companies. That can help in landing that first job. All things being equal.

Edited by slapshot

Terps might have the toughest draw in the tourney.......

I don't agree.  While Kansas is legit, Cal is very over seeded at #4, with a 22-10 record.  I have the Terps getting to the Sweet Sixteen, and losing to Kansas.  However, Kansas is a team they can beat if they have a good night and don't play stupid. 

Overall the ACC got hugely overvalued.  Duke as a #4?  Seriously?  Syracuse even in?  Virginia a #1? On the other hand I think the B1G got devalued.  MSU should certainly have gotten a #1 seed.  Iowa should have been #6 or even #5.  Purdue and the Terps probably #4, though #5 isn't too bad. 

I don't agree. While Kansas is legit, Cal is very over seeded at #4, with a 22-10 record. I have the Terps getting to the Sweet Sixteen, and losing to Kansas. However, Kansas is a team they can beat if they have a good night and don't play stupid.

Overall the ACC got hugely overvalued. Duke as a #4? Seriously? Syracuse even in? Virginia a #1? On the other hand I think the B1G got devalued. MSU should certainly have gotten a #1 seed. Iowa should have been #6 or even #5. Purdue and the Terps probably #4, though #5 isn't too bad.

Fair enough but many are picking sd for the dreaded 5 12 upset and Cal has underperformed with as much NBA talent as anyone similar to the terps......

One of the analyst on the selection show picked Cal for the final 4 .....

2 tough games to get to Kansas ....

Fair enough but many are picking sd for the dreaded 5 12 upset

Not in Vegas though...the line keeps getting bigger. Went from 7.5 to 9.5...

Just for fun, I sometimes fill out a bracket based on how the mascots would do in some imaginary fight/race/whatever, ie: the Tigers would likely beat the Hawks. There are problems with this system of course (what the heck is a Hoya? how can a Buckeye beat anyone?) but it can be fun. Anyway, in that system the Terrapins vs. the Jackrabbits shapes up as a classic.

As it should if they show up ......

Couple months ago it would have been 20 .....

USA Today (sorta) picks Terps to get to Final Four:

March Madness: Seven bold predictions for the NCAA tournament

"Of all the No. 12 seeds, South Dakota State seems the most unlikely to pull off an upset. So the path will be there, but Mark Turgeon's group will have to beat good teams to get to Houston — odds are Kansas and Villanova will stand in the way in the South Region. It's tough to foresee them doing that, but the talent is there and there have been flashes of how good the 'Terps can be. Some teams peak heading into the NCAA tournament. Some teams blossom right as the tournament begins. That could be Maryland."

Unfortunately, that writer picks KY to win it all, which would be annoying.

I think Turgeon would be wise to play up a "they disrespected us" bit even though it's not true.

I think it's in their best interest to play the underdog role now.

Anyone who has followed the Terps this year knows that (at least on paper) they have all the goods to go deep into March. But up to this point, with unfortunately few exceptions, MD has been less than the sum of their talented parts. Most notably, it boggles my mind as to how much Trimble has regressed over the past several weeks. We're talking about the preseason Big 10 player of the year, who might be only the 3rd/4th best player on his team right now.

But hey, Madness is all about a fresh slate. And if Melo can become what Melo was, this could get fun.

Anyone who has followed the Terps this year knows that (at least on paper) they have all the goods to go deep into March. But up to this point, with unfortunately few exceptions, MD has been less than the sum of their talented parts. Most notably, it boggles my mind as to how much Trimble has regressed over the past several weeks. We're talking about the preseason Big 10 player of the year, who might be only the 3rd/4th best player on his team right now.

But hey, Madness is all about a fresh slate. And if Melo can become what Melo was, this could get fun.

They definitely have the talent to do it .....

possible rd2 game against Cal worries me

possible rd2 game against Cal worries me

You should. I believe this will be a big challenge for the Terps.

At least we have the required 12 5 upsets in the book .....

Onward and upwards .....

The maryland Cal game should be a good game between 2 underachieving teams full of NBA talent ......

My bracket started off so well before that mess!

Cal about to go down.  MSU in trouble.  My bracket is about to get decimated.

Edited by Rob
removed profanity

Cal about to go down.  MSU in trouble.  My bracket is about to get decimated.

Yep.

Can't believe #4 Cal lost, convincingly to #13 Hawaii.

Now #2 MSU lost to #15 Middle Tenn. Wow. Bust everyone's bracket, for sure.

Edited by Rob
removed quoted profanity

Terps by 12 at the half. No inside offense at all or they would be up much more.