179 replies to this topic

#161 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:45 AM

There is plenty of finger-pointing we could do, but to me, the Terps got beat by a really good team playing really well, and could not reach down deep enough to overcome that. It was a good season and they went about as far as could be expected from the way they'd been playing. But it does feel like they fell short of expectations. I don't think any of them should be in a big hurry to leave for the NBA except for the seniors.

#162 Bowie-Bruce

Bowie-Bruce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,801 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:48 AM

The first half of the game suggested that we might have a classic on our hands. And the second half became quite familiar, particularly with those scoring droughts. The more I see Turgeon, the more I see the converse of Gary--great recruiter, not so great with the Xs and Os. So much talent this year, so little in results.
Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads.
--Thoreau

#163 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,495 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:28 AM

Tough draw facing a basketball school with the pedigree and tournament experience like Kansas. Sweet 16's are bad seasons for programs like Kansas.

Interesting story on the Kansas guard who was on track to go to Towson.

Did MD even recruit him?

Edited by Brohan, 25 March 2016 - 07:29 AM.

#164 stevez51

stevez51

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,877 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 01:49 PM

There is plenty of finger-pointing we could do, but to me, the Terps got beat by a really good team playing really well, and could not reach down deep enough to overcome that. It was a good season and they went about as far as could be expected from the way they'd been playing. But it does feel like they fell short of expectations. I don't think any of them should be in a big hurry to leave for the NBA except for the seniors.

Stone could be a top 10 pick still. Trimble needs another year to build some strength and work on his game.

#165 mcorioles

mcorioles

Hypocrisy Exposer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,408 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 03:26 PM

MD finished where their talent deserved.Final ranking between 13 and 16.No complaints.Now build on it.

#166 Guest_NCBirdfan_*

Guest_NCBirdfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:35 PM

I agree with you 100%. It could have been something special, but the team just had too many holes that were exposed in the Kansas game. Still, the Terps had a terrific season and hopefully they will find away to strengthen their bench and work on their weak tendencies.

#167 WhatintheHell

WhatintheHell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 02:43 PM

I'm no basketball expert here but I'm gonna give my opinion on their problems from watching the game. I felt they didn't have any players that couldn't hit 3 pointers at all. I think if they did they may have had a better chance to win that game and others too. 

#168 mdrunning

mdrunning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,562 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 12:21 AM

This team kind of reminds me of the 1980-81 Maryland team, which returned Albert King, Buck Williams, Ernie Graham, Greg Manning, et al, from a team which reached the Sweet 16 the season before. Like the 2016 Terps, the 1981 team was a consensus top 5 pick with Sports Illustrated even predicting them to make it to the NCAA championship game.

Instead, they slogged through a lackluster season, struggling to beat teams they should have handled easily, and were eventually blown out by eventual champion Indiana in the second round of the NCAAs. History may not repeat itself, but sometimes it does rhyme.

#169 demopublican

demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,397 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 March 2016 - 06:24 AM

MD finished where their talent deserved.Final ranking between 13 and 16.No complaints.Now build on it.

Well talent minus effort. I think they were who they were this year. A very talented team with a lot of potential that had a decent year.

A nice two year welcome back to relevance. As you said: let's see them build on it.

"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#170 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,006 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 08:25 AM

This team kind of reminds me of the 1980-81 Maryland team, which returned Albert King, Buck Williams, Ernie Graham, Greg Manning, et al, from a team which reached the Sweet 16 the season before. Like the 2016 Terps, the 1981 team was a consensus top 5 pick with Sports Illustrated even predicting them to make it to the NCAA championship game.

Instead, they slogged through a lackluster season, struggling to beat teams they should have handled easily, and were eventually blown out by eventual champion Indiana in the second round of the NCAAs. History may not repeat itself, but sometimes it does rhyme.

That was my Jr year and went to every home game game....

College bball was way better then and they lost to some really good teams .......

Uva with Sampson twice, a Louisville team defending the NCAA title, a UNC team that made the NCAA cha!pionship team that year, a top ten notre dame team with kell tripucka, Duke ......

Hardly slouches .....
They've got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#171 demopublican

demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,397 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:30 AM

Imagine how good this Maryland team could be if every player played all four years. I don't blame the individual players for moving on. The cash is too much. But how many think they are getting paid and don't get an education or a professional career? The NCAA game is much worse with all of the one or two and gone players

"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#172 alienrace

alienrace

Don't run - we are your friends!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,383 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:51 AM

Imagine how good this Maryland team could be if every player played all four years. I don't blame the individual players for moving on. The cash is too much. But how many think they are getting paid and don't get an education or a professional career? The NCAA game is much worse with all of the one or two and gone players

They would again be a top 5 team, with a chance to reach the Final Four.  Wiley would be healthy, and the incoming class is great.  Losing Layman and Sulaimon would hurt, but they have guys ready to step up. 

IMO, the only underclassman who is NBA ready *maybe* is Carter.  He does have the size and skills to be a high first round pick.  Stone I think is clearly not ready, and I am starting to think that some people might be able to convince him to stay another year.  He's probably played himself out of the lottery and he likely knows it.  Trimble is decidely NOT ready for the NBA, but I think he truly beleives he is and will be gone.  He is reminding me a bit of John Gilchrist, and we know how that turned out. 

It will be interesting to see where, or if Layman gets drafted.  He was the Terps best player by far down the stretch, and has the size, moves, and athletic ability to be a solid utility player in the NBA.

The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

#173 demopublican

demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,397 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 March 2016 - 12:45 PM

Layman is the question mark. But he will get paid to play somewhere

#174 Fumes

Fumes

Sir

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,020 posts
  • LocationPerry Hall

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:37 PM

Layman most likely NBDL or Europe

#175 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,495 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 05:15 PM

They would be about a 1/100th as good as Kentucky if all their players stayed 4 years.

#176 EnochRoot

EnochRoot

Money won't change me.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 05:25 PM

Maryland's biggest problem this year was Trimble assuming PG duties. Yes, it sucks when your leading scorer has horrendous nights shooting (42% for the season), but he's not a good point guard. Point guards win you national championships. He's got some growing into the position to help MD realize its potential next season. 

#177 demopublican

demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,397 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:35 PM

They would be about a 1/100th as good as Kentucky if all their players stayed 4 years.

You are just not smart.

#178 demopublican

demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,397 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:35 PM

Maryland's biggest problem this year was Trimble assuming PG duties. Yes, it sucks when your leading scorer has horrendous nights shooting (42% for the season), but he's not a good point guard. Point guards win you national championships. He's got some growing into the position to help MD realize its potential next season.

He will not be here next year

#179 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,495 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:51 PM

You are just not smart.

Says the guys who gave Ray Rice a standing ovation for knocking his wife out.

Edited by Brohan, 28 March 2016 - 09:51 PM.

#180 demopublican

demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,397 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 March 2016 - 03:30 PM

Says the guys who gave Ray Rice a standing ovation for knocking his wife out.

far worse offenders are playing today. Suggs is worse. I would say someone you cheer for is worse but you don't cheer for anything. Just against.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users