Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steveg85321

Internet advertising pop-ups

3 posts in this topic

I'm just curious. Has anyone in the history of the internet ever purchased anything from random ads that pop up in front of what you're trying to look at? I'm not even referring to the ads on the actual web site (like at the top of this page). I get kind of a kick how well targeted they are to my browsing history, and I may have even opened one of them from time to time. What is interesting to me is the totally random ones that pop up on some sites, like a collection of women's swim suits which I obviously would never have any interest in.

I just can't believe it is worth the hackers' time to even put them out there. Has anyone ever bought from them?

Specifically, I have one called Playtopus that I apparently caught trying to download some music torrent (which I have never figured out) and I cannot for the life of me get rid of. It is so freekin intrusive. The people who think that is a valid form of advertising should be in prison IMO.

As an Ex-Webmaster, what you get is a certain amount from the advertiser for each click through. Size of the pop up matters too. if you have any amount of traffic just a few ads can bring a bit of pocket change. Depends on the number of people that make the click. Big sites like CNN, and others can pull in quite a bit of money from National corporations. Small sites may get like .01 per click from some small co but a car manufacturer will pay much more to a site like CNN or ESPN or someone else. If there wasn't money in them, you wouldn't see them.

As an Ex-Webmaster, what you get is a certain amount from the advertiser for each click through. Size of the pop up matters too. if you have any amount of traffic just a few ads can bring a bit of pocket change. Depends on the number of people that make the click. Big sites like CNN, and others can pull in quite a bit of money from National corporations. Small sites may get like .01 per click from some small co but a car manufacturer will pay much more to a site like CNN or ESPN or someone else. If there wasn't money in them, you wouldn't see them.

good answer (:-