Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nomad974

2016 Big 33 MD Roster

73 posts in this topic

Guess some of those Dematha and Gilman players had other things to do. 

From what ive seen, unless the coaching staff is comprised of DeMatha/Gilman people, the players tend not to commit to this game.  

I understand.  Its late in the year and several players are doing other sports or have enrolled early

Wow...what a disappointing overall roster. Two qb's that have not committed anywhere and I know one of them doesn't even have an offer from anyone.....SAD. I predict a blow out, not that it will come as a surprise.

Wow...what a disappointing overall roster. Two qb's that have not committed anywhere and I know one of them doesn't even have an offer from anyone.....SAD. I predict a blow out, not that it will come as a surprise.

In fairness, PA players take this game much more seriously.  Add in the fact the majority of MD's heavy hitters choose not to play for various reasons puts them at a disadvantage.  However, despite that disadvantage MD has held their own the past 2 years.

Edited by nomad974

In fairness, PA players take this game much more seriously.  Add in the fact the majority of MD's heavey hitters schosse not to play for various reasons puts them at a disadvantage.  However, despite that disadvantage MD has held their own the past 2 years.

I think that 2 year run will come to an end this year!

Lots of WIse High School players as well

Thats to be expected with Coach Parrish running the show this year.  Players seem more open to playing in this game when their coach is involved.

Edited by nomad974

From what ive seen, unless the coaching staff is comprised of DeMatha/Gilman people, the players tend not to commit to this game.

I understand. Its late in the year and several players are doing other sports or have enrolled early

I know DeMatha won't let you graduate if you try to enroll early. I'm sure Gilman is the same, but not 100% certain.

Who would you replace them with?

I know DeMatha won't let you graduate if you try to enroll early. I'm sure Gilman is the same, but not 100% certain.

Really? Did not know that.  On the surface that seems counter productive. 

Really? Did not know that. On the surface that seems counter productive.

If you want to take a class or two at a college that outweigh the schools AP program then it's a full go, but leaving a semester early for college athletics has never been allowed.

DeMatha had 3 kids in the Under Armour game in Florida last month. I know there's a limit on post season games that you can play in so that may have something to do with it. Also, I've heard college coaches not being the biggest fans of these games and suggesting against them. I couldn't imagine UMD being cool with DJ Turner strapping it up in the Big 33.

Who would you replace them with?

I would replace Bliss with Wiseman from Perry Hall, I think Pierce is a good choice. Bliss has zero college offers, how does the coaching staff pick someone with zero offers when you have others that you had try out with offers or have committed? Im confused, are we really trying to win the game or just happy saying we participate every year. And im so tired of the political BS that comes with picking these teams....who you know who your parents are friends with, come on 6 Wise players give me a break!

Edited by jazzy0920

I remember DeMatha kids playing in the Big 33 back in the 80's & 90's.  Of course that was before we had all these other all-star games.

DeMatha had 3 kids in the Under Armour game in Florida last month. I know there's a limit on post season games that you can play in so that may have something to do with it. Also, I've heard college coaches not being the biggest fans of these games and suggesting against them. I couldn't imagine UMD being cool with DJ Turner strapping it up in the Big 33.

Others have limits on post season all-star games but it shouldn't apply in the case of the BIG33 because they will be graduates by then....

Edited by DayWalker

The limit of all star games is 2. Big 33 game does not count because it is after the kids graduate.

The limit of all star games is 2. Big 33 game does not count because it is after the kids graduate.

Nice. Didn't know high school graduation had anything to do with it. I thought it was a NCAA thing.

I would love more than anything to see DJ Turner, Haskins and Rawlings to name a few play, but I understand the risk vs reward factor. This game is suppose to showcase kids that have committed or been offered schollys. There are a handful of kids with no commit/offer playing on this team and many with commits/offers left off.....political BS!!!

I remember DeMatha kids playing in the Big 33 back in the 80's & 90's. Of course that was before we had all these other all-star games.

Yea same. It's very weird how they stopped in the 00's. Maybe something happened that McGregor didn't like and the mindset trickled down to Brooks then made its way up 95 to Gilman. Edited by Silverbullet

I think that 2 year run will come to an end this year!

Last year game was called at the half due to massive storm.

Yea same. It's very weird how they stopped in the 00's. Maybe something happened that McGregor didn't like and the mindset trickled down to Brooks then made its way up 95 to Gilman.

No guys...it wasn't weird.  The BIG33 was between PA and Ohio then and nothing about what McGregor liked or didn't.  The BIG33 didn't center around McGregor nor DeMatha.  Maryland just got back in wanting to play PA.

Edited by DayWalker