Purdue vs Maryland

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_slapshot_*

Guest_slapshot_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:22 PM

Purdue 83 - Maryland 79, final

Exciting game. Home team keeps serve. Vegas is happy, spread was 4.

Edited by slapshot, 27 February 2016 - 06:28 PM.

#2 alienrace

alienrace

Don't run - we are your friends!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,383 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:40 PM

Home team got some home cooking at the end.  Some bad calls going both ways in the second half, but two really bad calls took any chance the Terps had to pull it out away.

The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

#3 Guest_slapshot_*

Guest_slapshot_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:53 PM

Home team got some home cooking at the end. Some bad calls going both ways in the second half, but two really bad calls took any chance the Terps had to pull it out away.

And home cooking happens in all games. One reason why Vegas usually spots the home team 4-8 pts. That said, Purdue fans were complaining about who the refs would be before the game ever started, so nobody was happy.....

Regardless of how the refs called things down the stretch, fact is, Maryland never lead at anytime in the game. Not for one second.

Edited by slapshot, 27 February 2016 - 06:55 PM.

#4 demopublican

demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,397 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:02 PM

What a terrible start. Maryland closed both halves strong but (once again) spotted the other team quite a healthy lead to start the game.

"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#5 Guest_slapshot_*

Guest_slapshot_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:15 PM

Prototypically, Purdue usually gets out to a fast start and then collapses or barely holds on at the end of games.

I believe They've lost a couple of games this year, having a 15-17pt lead at half.

I felt the game was pretty exciting, with the score close the entire 2nd half.

This win gives Purdue two wins over top 10 teams in the past week. They are off anybody's "bubble" list.

Edited by slapshot, 27 February 2016 - 07:19 PM.

#6 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,383 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:24 PM

Trimble played a little better.  Really the game was lost on the boards.  Some of it you can't fault the Terps, some of Purdue's misses were such clankers that they were taking wild rebounds, but still, they got beat up pretty bad there.

The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

#7 Guest_slapshot_*

Guest_slapshot_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:42 PM

Game synopsis from Purdue (web site) perspective:

"This had all of the hallmarks of another Purdue letdown. Purdue up early? Check! Purdue dominating on the boards early? Check! Purdue up by double digits with the opponent slowly chipping away? Check! Purdue being pressed and crumbling? Check! But somehow Purdue did survive. Purdue pulled off another win over a top #10 team and improved their NCAA tournament resume."

Yep, this is all true.

#8 bernieb.

bernieb.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:55 PM

Still makes you wonder what Maryland team is going to show up for the Big10 playoffs and the NCAAs.  Can't keep on playing catchup.

#9 Guest_slapshot_*

Guest_slapshot_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:59 PM

I think Maryland will fair better on a neutral court, away games are tough.

#10 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,383 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:29 PM

I think Maryland will fair better on a neutral court, away games are tough.

Yeah, honestly I thought Maryland accounted for themselves well today, this was going to be a *very* tough game for them to pull off. 

#11 Guest_slapshot_*

Guest_slapshot_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:07 PM

Yeah, honestly I thought Maryland accounted for themselves well today, this was going to be a *very* tough game for them to pull off.

Yep.

Purdue was just coming off a close loss against their arch-enemy and hated rival, Indiana, so with a week off, expected they would be very hungry/motivated for a win. And they were.

#12 Guest_slapshot_*

Guest_slapshot_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:23 PM

Folks here might get a chuckle from a Purdue fan. His last comment is priceless, and spot on for how most Purdue fans feel after a loss:

 Went over toTestudotimes to look around.
- Lots of complaints about the officiating.
- The coach didn’t have them ready to play, he can’t make adjustments.
-The team is underachieving on his watch.
- Should have pressed earlier.
- There is no consistency from the players, they don’t play hard and lack emotion.

Felt like home.

Edited by slapshot, 27 February 2016 - 09:23 PM.

#13 mcorioles

mcorioles

Hypocrisy Exposer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,408 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:47 AM

At this point MD shouldn't be ranked.Most overrated team in the NCAA and yes I am a MD fan.

#14 Guest_slapshot_*

Guest_slapshot_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:47 AM

At this point MD shouldn't be ranked.Most overrated team in the NCAA and yes I am a MD fan.

I think that's an over-reaction. This team is still better than (at least) half of the top 25.

Winning away is not an easy thing to do against another talented team. Purdue has only lost one game at home this year, and that was against Iowa, when they were unstoppable. The fact that the Terps came back from getting blown out, shows promise and something to build off of headed into the tourney's.

Finally, I would like to see them knock off Indiana @Bloomy. I think they can, and if they do, that's great momentum....

Edited by slapshot, 28 February 2016 - 11:49 AM.

#15 mcorioles

mcorioles

Hypocrisy Exposer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,408 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:23 PM

I think that's an over-reaction. This team is still better than (at least) half of the top 25.
Winning away is not an easy thing to do against another talented team. Purdue has only lost one game at home this year, and that was against Iowa, when they were unstoppable. The fact that the Terps came back from getting blown out, shows promise and something to build off of headed into the tourney's.
Finally, I would like to see them knock off Indiana @Bloomy. I think they can, and if they do, that's great momentum....

I say that solely based on the record 6 losses.They have beaten 2 ranked teams lost 3 games to ranked teams.If they haven't lost those to un ranked teams I would be ok where they are at.

The teams potential doesn't carry any weight IMO.

#16 Guest_slapshot_*

Guest_slapshot_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2016 - 03:53 PM

I say that solely based on the record 6 losses.They have beaten 2 ranked teams lost 3 games to ranked teams.If they haven't lost those to un ranked teams I would be ok where they are at.
The teams potential doesn't carry any weight IMO.

I'm gonna reserve judgement until after the IU game @Bloom. If they win that, then I think they have turned the corner.

#17 mcorioles

mcorioles

Hypocrisy Exposer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,408 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 05:42 PM

I'm gonna reserve judgement until after the IU game @Bloom. If they win that, then I think they have turned the corner.

Fair enough.

#18 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,006 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:38 PM

Edited by Eastside Terp, 28 February 2016 - 10:49 PM.

They've got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#19 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,495 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:48 PM

Still makes you wonder what Maryland team is going to show up for the Big10 playoffs and the NCAAs.  Can't keep on playing catchup.

What's Turgeon's ceiling? Sweet 16? This team could get there if they get the right seed in the right bracket.

#20 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,383 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:25 AM

What's Turgeon's ceiling? Sweet 16? This team could get there if they get the right seed in the right bracket.

The ceiling of the team is a national championship.  The ceiling of Turgeon could be considerably less from what I can see - but - I can't put it *all* on Turg.  Melo Trimble has been in a disastrous funk, and cost the team the regular season title on his own.  Getting worked on the boards though is another issue, a coaching one. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users