23 replies to this topic

#21 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 02:34 PM

The ceiling of the team is a national championship.  The ceiling of Turgeon could be considerably less from what I can see - but - I can't put it *all* on Turg.  Melo Trimble has been in a disastrous funk, and cost the team the regular season title on his own.  Getting worked on the boards though is another issue, a coaching one. 

Not challenging, just asking, how does getting out rebounded fall on the coach? Is he not putting the best guys in there? I would think rebounding is more an issue of hunger and intensity. Those Purdue inside guys were pretty immovable.

#22 alienrace

alienrace

Don't run - we are your friends!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,383 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:26 AM

Not challenging, just asking, how does getting out rebounded fall on the coach? Is he not putting the best guys in there? I would think rebounding is more an issue of hunger and intensity. Those Purdue inside guys were pretty immovable.

Because a lot of their being out rebounded is because of intensity, hunger as you say.  That lies squarely on Turgeon to get these guys motivated.  Also, they often don't have good positioning, and that too is on Turgeon.

The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

#23 EnochRoot

EnochRoot

Money won't change me.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:38 PM

The ceiling of the team is a national championship.  The ceiling of Turgeon could be considerably less from what I can see - but - I can't put it *all* on Turg.  Melo Trimble has been in a disastrous funk, and cost the team the regular season title on his own.  Getting worked on the boards though is another issue, a coaching one. 

Dude. This team may very well reach the E-8 with a favorable seeding/bracket, but I'd bet my house against them winning the title this year.

The biggest problem with Maryland (and there are a few) is that they don't have a bonafide ball handler. That gets magnified in March. Hell, teams that only have one bonafide ball handler are ripe to be weeded out.

This team's half-baked. It's a down year over all in Mens BB, but still. Their ceiling is not a championship. 

#24 alienrace

alienrace

Don't run - we are your friends!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,383 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:04 AM

I agree that the team is half baked, and that ball handling has been an issue, but I don't think there is a team that isn't flawed.  I would agree that the sure bet is that they won't win it, but I definitely think the talent is there to do so.  I have said that from Day One, and I'll stick to it.  Up until last week's poll they were the ONLY team that had been in the top 10 all year long.

Last night, for the first time in over a month, they played a game like they should have been playing all year long.  Finally, their shots started falling, and in the second half, after building a more workmanlike 10 point halftime lead, they rained down 3's and slashed to the bucket they way you'd expect against an inferior opponent, bulging out to a 30+ point lead before clearing the bench.  Trimble seems to have regained his stroke and confidence, thank god.

Now, see if those shots fall like that against Indiana this weekend, and maybe people will regain some confidence in them. 

The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users