Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saticon3

Slingbox?

5 posts in this topic

Hey I was hoping someone could give an old dumb guy some new fangled tech advice--

Now its been 2 years since I moved from MD to FL and one of the few things I miss about MD are Ravens Games-- so I've been paying for both Direct TV to get NFL Ticket so I can see the Ravens every game, and ATT for basic TV & Internet--  I don't want to go with DTV in place of ATT, as I used to do that in MD and storm outages were too annoying, and storms are more frequent here- plus if I dropped ATT ,  TV I'd still need them for internet, which stand alone is like $60/month-

Sooooo, I've heard of this Slingbox thing-- my MIL still lives in MD and is willing, if I bought her a Slingbox could I watch the Ravens games ( and all other Baltimore area TV on her system) down here over the internet? Is that how it works? I realize I would only see what she would be tuned in to unless I guess I got her a second receiver box and just dedicated that to me, but she's cool, its really only for the games, and she watches them  all anyway.

Is that viable?

Thanks!

Didn't know Slingbox was still around. Think I remember it being pushed by Dish when it first came out then they switched to the Hopper. Not sure how it works but don't see how someone having it here will help you down in Fla. If you have good Internet you should be able to get onto the games somehow there. Don't cable or FIOS providers have any similar All NFL packages? Maybe by PPV?

No, NFL ticket is a Direct TV Exclusive

There are some other NFL options available via internet and wireless, but, for some reason, are blocked in my area.

But Slingbox literature says " watch your home tv service on your pc, your phone, or half way around the world in your hotel room, anywhere you have internet"

Edited by Saticon3

My sister has been using one for two years because she travels a lot in her business. She primarily uses it watch her dvr stuff that she never seems to have time to watch for the little time that she's home. She thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'd say if you're MIL is into it, it's a great option.

We have one and it works great. I let my sister beam into our TV to watch the Triple Crown races since she cut her cord and can't see them locally in Florida. I use it to watch ballgames when I'm working late.