TheResearcher

Debonair, Handsome, Intelligent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,763 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 06:53 AM

http://www.medicalne...cles/308200.php

"'There are many reasons to be skeptical'

From analyzing 87 studies that looked at the effects of alcohol consumption on death from all causes, the team identified a number of flaws in the way the studies were designed.

One major issue they found was how the studies defined "abstainers" - people who do not drink alcohol.

The researchers explain that many of the studies compared moderate drinkers - which they define as individuals who consume up to two alcoholic beverages daily - with "current" abstainers, but these abstainers may include individuals of poor health who have stopped drinking.

"A fundamental question is, who are these moderate drinkers being compared against?," says Stockwell."

#2 alienrace

alienrace

Don't run - we are your friends!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,368 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:27 AM

Well...study...shmudy...There's Russia and France for your study :D

Regardless, just live life and don't worry about moderate drinking.  You could abstain from doing something you enjoy and wind up living a few more years, or dying from something else. 

I'd rather live 75 happy years than 80 less happy years :D

The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

#3 Bartman

Bartman

General Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts
  • LocationBaltimore City

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:09 PM

Well...study...shmudy...There's Russia and France for your study :D

Regardless, just live life and don't worry about moderate drinking.  You could abstain from doing something you enjoy and wind up living a few more years, or dying from something else. 

I'd rather live 75 happy years than 80 less happy years :D

My one Grandfather used to Have to have One Beer a day and he made it to 91. Wasn't pretty the last year or so though. Mini-Strokes and finally congestive heart failure. His wife, my Mom's mom only lasted another year past him and had Senile Dementia pretty bad. She was at the Funeral Parlor all day with him laid out then when we went to my Aunt's house and she was asking "Where's Pop?" My Aunt said, "He's back at the Funeral Parlor in the Coffin Mom!" Sheesh! My impression from those times is that most people hit "The Wall" around 90. IF you make it that far. The last few years get pretty tough. Think I'd rather go Quicker Earlier.

Edited by Bartman, 24 March 2016 - 09:14 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Don't try to tell me that what I see with my own two eyes ISN'T what I'm seeing with my own two eyes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users