Guest slapshot

BB Coaching Salaries

17 posts in this topic

But which teams are most profitable? Do they pay for wins or ROI?

But which teams are most profitable? Do they pay for wins or ROI?

Adjusted revenue rankings from 2014 (although I doubt it significantly changes from year to year):

http://www.wsj.com/articles/whats-your-college-basketball-team-worth-1427903905

First number is: 2014 Adjusted Revenues

Second number is: Total Valuation

1 Louisville $52,402,893 $367,435,000

2 Arizona $43,012,887 $314,959,000

3 Kansas $41,620,226 $291,250,000

4 Ohio State $30,165,640 $249,402,000

5 Wisconsin $30,209,211 $221,666,000

6 Kentucky $36,592,832 $213,285,000

7 Syracuse $30,473,602 $202,983,000

8 Indiana $36,681,846 $199,011,000

9 Duke $28,099,622 $181,665,000

10 North Carolina $25,815,057 $158,463,000

IMO, a major % of a coaches total compensation package (and not just in BB), should be bonus-based on performance metrics. Just like it is done in the financial sector.

Edited by slapshot

Adjusted revenue rankings from 2014 (although I doubt it significantly changes from year to year):

http://www.wsj.com/articles/whats-your-college-basketball-team-worth-1427903905

First number is: 2014 Adjusted Revenues

Second number is: Total Valuation

1 Louisville $52,402,893 $367,435,000

2 Arizona $43,012,887 $314,959,000

3 Kansas $41,620,226 $291,250,000

4 Ohio State $30,165,640 $249,402,000

5 Wisconsin $30,209,211 $221,666,000

6 Kentucky $36,592,832 $213,285,000

7 Syracuse $30,473,602 $202,983,000

8 Indiana $36,681,846 $199,011,000

9 Duke $28,099,622 $181,665,000

10 North Carolina $25,815,057 $158,463,000

IMO, a major % of a coaches total compensation package (and not just in BB), should be bonus-based on performance metrics. Just like it is done in the financial sector.

And look how ethical the financial sector is. I can't imagine what the likes of Calipari, Pitino, Turgeon, Willians Boehheim etc would do if there was a monetary incentive on top of it all.

That is about the worst idea I have heard in a long time.

Edited by Brohan

And look how ethical the financial sector is. I can't imagine what the likes of Calipari, Pitino, Turgeon, Willians Boehheim etc would do if there was a monetary incentive on top of it all.

That is about the worst idea I have heard in a long time.

Perhaps that's because you knowing nothing of how the financial sector works.

No coach should be guaranteed a multi-year, multi-million dollar salary....and that goes double for coaches that don't have a proven track record of success. I can tell you several coaches that have 5 year contracts , with multi-million dollar guaranteed salary, and haven't produced Jack. Contracts that place a premium on bonuses based on performance, which includes attendance/revenue, should become the norm, and not the exception.

Compensation should be based on measurable metrics. Those that meet or exceed those metrics should then have a handsome payday. It seems to be working for Roy Williams. He's still playing, and has one of the smallest guaranteed salaries, but has a high bonus package.

Edited by slapshot

Perhaps that's because you knowing nothing of how the financial sector works.

No coach should be guaranteed a multi-year, multi-million dollar salary....and that goes double for coaches that don't have a proven track record of success. I can tell you several coaches that have 5 year contracts , with multi-million dollar guaranteed salary, and haven't produced Jack. Contracts that place a premium on bonuses based on performance, which includes attendance/revenue, should become the norm, and not the exception.

Compensation should be based on measurable metrics. Those that meet or exceed those metrics should then have a handsome payday. It seems to be working for Roy Williams. He's still playing, and has one of the smallest guaranteed salaries, but has a high bonus package.

Roy Williams, great example. Thanks for proving my point. His players can't even read.

Roy Williams, great example. Thanks for proving my point. His players can't even read.

And you know this, how?

So, you advocate the model of guaranteeing coaches exorbitant salaries, over lengthy contract periods, without any connection to results.

Got it.  :rolleyes:

Edited by slapshot

And you know this, how?

So, you advocate the model of guaranteeing coaches exorbitant salaries, over lengthy contract periods, without any connection to results.

Got it. :rolleyes:

Both sides sign the contract. No one is holding a gun to the AD's head. Not a fan of the free market? Got it.

And you know this, how?

Got it. :rolleyes:

You telling me you weren't aware of the academic fraud committed by Roy Williams and don't renember Butch Davis getting fired for his players taking money from agents and accepting other benefits?

This is news to you?

Both sides sign the contract. No one is holding a gun to the AD's head. Not a fan of the free market? Got it.

Lots of these positions are government jobs .....

Not exactly the free market .....

Nice dodge.

I expected nothing less from you.

I'll put you down as a "yes", that you're in favor of how it is...

Got it.

Edited by slapshot

You telling me you weren't aware of the academic fraud committed by Roy Williams and don't renember Butch Davis getting fired for his players taking money from agents and accepting other benefits?

This is news to you?

Let me be clear....I think UNC deserves the "death penalty", just like Pedo State.

That said, Roy Williams hasn't been implicated, let alone convicted of being involved.

It is disgusting that they are still playing. I am sure other schools do it. But there was no puishment

Lots of these positions are government jobs .....

Not exactly the free market .....

Don't kid yourself, college athletics is a big business.

Let me be clear....I think UNC deserves the "death penalty", just like Pedo State.

That said, Roy Williams hasn't been implicated, let alone convicted of being involved.

No surprise, the gutless corrupt NCAA mostly throws the book at the small fishes unless it's something as egregious as, and gets the national attention like ped st.

Don't kid yourself, college athletics is a big business.

No doubt, so is government......

But don't confuse that with a free market ......

No surprise, the gutless corrupt NCAA mostly throws the book at the small fishes unless it's something as egregious as, and gets the national attention like ped st.

The only way you're going to get the attention of the NCAA, is if advertisers start pulling their ads from the tournament.

Until that day, the only thing that matters to advertisers, alumni and most fans are results. That being the current reality, it makes zero sense to pay coaches millions in fixed salaries, irrespective of how they perform. The only logical approach should be based on bonuses.