• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ms maggie

ms maggie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,049 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:49 PM

Do you think this UCONN team could beat a college men's team?

Let's say one of the 15 or 16 seeds in the men's tournament.

My initial thought is no. Bigger, stronger etc. But then I think there is something to said for a team that is so in synch, so skilled.

Kind of reminds me of the question: could Alabama beat the Browns?

Edited by ms maggie, 01 April 2016 - 07:50 PM.

#2 mdrunning

mdrunning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,559 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:54 PM

Not a chance UConn would beat a men's team, and particularly not a Division I team with the full complement of 13 scholarship players. UConn's 90-game winning streak, however, spans both the men's and the women's game, as it rightfully should. It's just as difficult to win that many games in a row against the girls as it is against the guys. It's a tremendous accomplishment.

It reminds me of a similar scenario floated around years ago when someone proposed ranking the top men's and women's players together. Martina Navratilova, then the No. 1 women's player in the world, thought it was a ridiculous idea, saying that if rankings were done in such a manner, no woman would even crack the top 100. And no, Serena Williams would not beat Roger Federer or any of the other top men's players today.

I go to a lot of track meets, and there are some girls who are just incredible at what they do, but again, none of them would beat their top male counterparts in their respective events. The times bear that out. Thing is, no one makes those types of comparisons to begin with. A good girl runner is a good runner, period, just the same as it is with the guys. They're judged by how they do against their peers, and not the opposite sex.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users