Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alienrace

Terps declaring for NBA draft.

25 posts in this topic

Robert Carter has announced he'll be declaring and signing an agent, so he's as good as gone.  Interesting move, though I think he's played himself into a mid first round pick, and probably about as high as he'll go.

Diamond Stone announced that he'll be declaring for the draft, but not hiring an agent just yet, so it appears he might see how things go at the NBA combine and then make a decision.  My guess is that everything hinges on the combine, if he does well, he'll hire an agent and be gone.  If scouts tell him stay in another year, I think he'll do that.

Melo Trimble hasn't said anything as far as I know.  Rumors aside of him not going to class, I think it's more likely that he'll return than the other two.  He clearly showed he's not ready for the NBA right now, and would likely not be drafted in the first round.

Stone may be raw, but he has physical gifts that cannot be coached, so I expect he'll be gone. Trimble needs more work at this level IMO.

Carter Jr. is already 22 years old, so I don't think it would make much sense for him to come back and play his final season at age 23. That's practically doddering by NBA standards.

doddering   ;)

Stone now saying he will hire an agent. 

Trimble says he has talked to Turgeon, and will test the waters but not hire an agent.  Seems 50/50 that Trimble stays at this point(IMO).

eastside- At best, some scouts will tell Trimble he 's late rd1

Then he would probably leave .....

Guarented 2vyr contract on the nba scale ....

Very little flexibility in their rookie contract process and some question the need for an agent .....

Trimble has opted to stay at MD for his junior year.  Great news for Terps fans, and good, smart move by Trimble.  Clearly the rumor about him stopping going to classes was BS.

Stone has to be completely regretting his decision to hire an agent now.  Carter looking like he's moving up.

There is zero doubt Turgeon can recruit; I'm still not sold on his coaching acumen.

Totally, completely agree.  He seems so far to be the "Reverse Gary", and the question is, will he, like Gary, rise above his shortcomings in some way to take the team to a championship?  While 2015/16 was a good year for the Terps, this was a team many thought would reach the Final Four, so IMO he fell short of expectations and the season ended in disappointment.  They really had some guys underperform down the stretch, especially Trimble, and including Stone.  I thought he got a lot out of Suliamon, who isn't all that talented but really played hard for him and showed a ton of leadership, as did Layman. 

Trimble coming back is huge, and I'd expect him to rebound in a big way next season.  I really think much of his problem was between the ears, despite reports of him being less than 100% physically.  The incoming class fills needs in a great way, and the question is can Chekovsky, Bender, have any impact?  Getting Dion Wiley back is also really important, and his loss really hurt last year.  They have the look of a fringe top 25 team to me, with potential if guys develop well. 

Layman went were most figured.  Stone dropped like one.  Some had him still rated as high as #8. 

Really thought Carter would get drafted, he's got real potential and already some good moves.

Layman is going to have a solid NBA career.

I get the whole "turn pro and get real money from somebody, somewhere" angle... but Stone's decision seemed stupid to me from the day it was announced.  Still think he should have spent another year in school (taking whatever assortment of joke / minimal effort credit hour courses he could piece together) and built up a better resume.  I know he still put up some impressive games number-wise in the second half of the season... but despite it all I saw someone who struggled with ball handling under pressure / in traffic, and just looked slow / unmotivated / unsure at some critical times (not hustling).  

He can laugh it off and thank his tremendous natural physical ability for getting drafted at all... but I have my doubts that he'll ever "turn it up a notch" and become anything more than a bit player in the NBA.

Edited by Ravens2006

Carter signed with GSW. Suliamon with Chicago

Hey fumes, my son is living on campus this summer ......

Sent me a pic of Cole today......

Totally gutted just a roof, no back wall when looking from Byrd ....

Edited by Eastside Terp