Baltimatt

"Official" call from Internal Revenue Services (207) 703-9130

57 posts in this topic

The caller says a lawsuit is about to be filed against me and I should call.  A wireless number in Maine??? Uh huh.  

If gotten several calls from this number.

The caller says a lawsuit is about to be filed against me and I should call.  A wireless number in Maine??? Uh huh.  

I have, too. But I bet there's enough goobers that respond to make it profitable.

I have, too. But I bet there's enough goobers that respond to make it profitable.

Probably.  Notice how the lady says "Internal Revenue Services", not service.  

I hate scammers. I get the one that pretends to be from Microsoft. They tell you somes story about your computer sending out error messages. I guess they want to get the subject to open up a back door or maybe give them some passwords.

I've gotten a number of calls on my answering machine using the IRS scam. Always foreign accents and always threatening legal action if I don't respond.

Matt, when you get these scam calls you can research the source on this website:  

http://800notes.com/

There are similar sites, however I use this one the most. You'll find that you are not alone. The site won't stop the calls, however if you report the # with the info  on this site it may help the DNC folks in finding and prosecuting the scammers. 

In closing, don't forget that Call Blocking can be your friend.  :)

Edited by GurneyHalleck

I wouldn't take a chance. You should go ahead and pay what they say you owe just to be on the safe side. :(

The ones I have recieved end with "good luck" .....

I've heard that as well as "help us to help you."   :rolleyes:

I wouldn't take a chance. You should go ahead and pay what they say you owe just to be on the safe side. :(

It was just a recorded message.  I did not call back.  I'm sure they will make it convenient for me by taking my credit card or bank information.

Matt, when you get these scam calls you can research the source on this website:  

http://800notes.com/

There are similar sites, however I use this one the most. You'll find that you are not alone. The site won't stop the calls, however if you report the # with the info  on this site it may help the DNC folks in finding and prosecuting the scammers. 

In closing, don't forget that Call Blocking can be your friend.  :)

I posted a report on that website.

My favorites are the emails from China that are barely in 'Ingrish'.

"You account in violation. Call four resolution in short time."

Nomorobo.

I've been using this free service for almost a year. Telemarketing & scam calls have gone from about 15-20/week to about 1-2 every 2-3 months. And those only ring once. No call blockers needed. My phone is as quiet as a mouse. I highly recommend it. Endorsed by the FCC and most major news outlets.

I use Verizon FiOS Digital Voice landline.

Edited by EL-FLIPPO

I fondly remember a small victory. I answered a call (this was before I had caller ID) from a guy with a thick Pakistani accent named Kevin about how since I was such a good taxpayer the IRS had a refund for me if I would give him my checking account number. I said, "Oh good deal, hold on while I get it," then went into the next room and LMAO for awhile.

Nomorobo.

I've been using this free service for almost a year. Telemarketing & scam calls have gone from about 15-20/week to about 1-2 every 2-3 months. And those only ring once. No call blockers needed. My phone is as quiet as a mouse. I highly recommend it. Endorsed by the FCC and most major news outlets.

I use Verizon FiOS Digital Voice landline.

Thanks for the tip, EL.   I just finished signing up. The Verizon FIOS website will give you the link for Nomorobo if you do a search there! Apparently Verizon has no issues with the service.  :)

Thanks for the tip, EL.   I just finished signing up. The Verizon FIOS website will give you the link for Nomorobo if you do a search there! Apparently Verizon has no issues with the service.  :)

They aren't the only ones... Supported Carriers

[No support for cell phones or analog land lines (basic dialtone voice service). Must be a digital land line. My digital landline is wireless.]

It basically renders the Do Not Call registry unnecessary. Now if there was just a Nomospamo...

Edited by EL-FLIPPO

Time Warner Cable - Integrates Nomorobo Into Telephone Service
https://consumerist.com/2016/01/14/time-warner-cable-integrates-robocall-blocker-into-telephone-service/

Comcast - Set Up Nomorobo Through XFINITY Connect
http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/phone/nomorobo

Verizon - Block Unwanted Calls with Nomorobo
https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/consumer-education/robocalls/nomorobo

Wave Home Phone Service - Nomorobo Set-up
http://www.wavebroadband.com/support/phone/nomorobo-set-up/

AT&T U-verse Voice - Call Blocking Options: Nomorobo
https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/u-verse-voice/KM1074689

Also - Nomorobo Will Release Smartphone App to Block Robocalls

The makers of the call-blocking service Nomorobo are planning on rolling out a smart phone app for iPhone and Android in the next few months. A beta release is expected this month. The company already offers a free call-blocking service for internet-based home phones, but this could provide mobile users with some much-needed relief from robocall harassment. The company claims its software has blocked more than 59 million unwanted calls for its 360,000 users. Consumers Union reports that there’s no word if the smartphone app will be free like the home-based service. Instead of blocking a number after a robocall, Nomorobo uses a blacklist to stop calls from ever getting to your phone. The blacklist is comprised of numbers submitted by consumers, federal agencies, and from companies like Twilio.

https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-articles/nomorobo-will-release-smartphone-app-to-block-robocalls.html

Edited by EL-FLIPPO

I fondly remember a small victory. I answered a call (this was before I had caller ID) from a guy with a thick Pakistani accent named Kevin about how since I was such a good taxpayer the IRS had a refund for me if I would give him my checking account number. I said, "Oh good deal, hold on while I get it," then went into the next room and LMAO for awhile.

One of my favorite tricks/jokes with telemarketers in general: I listen and sound half interested and ask them to hold for just a second, set the phone down and walk away.  

One of my favorite tricks/jokes with telemarketers in general: I listen and sound half interested and ask them to hold for just a second, set the phone down and walk away.  

I'll do that from time to time on the basis that I hope it ties up their lines for a minute or two. My father used to tell them he was interested in whatever they were selling but he was concerned that his expensive AIDS medicine would present a problem. He claimed that worked like a charm.

Right after posting this I got a call from a contractor that was working in the neighborhood repairing storm damage.  There was a clear pause while the salesman picked up from the computer call.  I tired my other favorite.  "Legally in the state of Maryland I have to inform you that I am recording this call".  They hang up pretty quick. 

I've gotten those calls. They're kind of funny. But undoubtedly a scam. 

I get a lot of calls that I don't let go on long enough to know who they're from, they start out like " I'm so and so of such and such and you need to be aware that this call is being recorded" I always say well I object to being recorded and they always disconnect at that point.

I got another call from a Florida number warning me that a warrant had been issued for my arrest for tax fraud.

I got another call from a Florida number warning me that a warrant had been issued for my arrest for tax fraud.

Might have you mixed up with Donald Trump :) .....

Before I got Nomorobo, I was automatically Call-Forwarding these types of calls to a tv station's news Hotline. Then my phone didn't ring, and if the Hotline got irritated enough, they had more resources than me to resolve the issue. Creative Peace.