Baltimatt

"Official" call from Internal Revenue Services (207) 703-9130

57 posts in this topic

I get more calls from people wanting me to Donate and other stuff on my landline than calls from anyone I know. Last Indian guy or whatever they are that called me with the Microsoft Scam I yelled at and told him The Scam was over 2 years Old now and everyone knows about it so Cut it Out!  I'd dump the landline altogether but I still have a few Distant Relatives that may want to contact me that don't have my Cell so I keep it. Started getting these Junk calls on my Cell phone but If I don't recognize the Area Code I don't answer. Listened to the Voice mails then deleted them and Blocked the numbers. They're out of some L.A. area code.

Edited by Bartman

One from Dallas yesterday.

Very thick accent (Indian?). I'm in big trouble with the IRS. There is a warrant. They strongly advise me to cooperate and give them a call right back. :D

I wouldn't take a chance. You should go ahead and pay what they say you owe just to be on the safe side. :(

I'm sure that Nigerian prince I've been communicating with will help me cover the IRS bill. :)

I'm sure that Nigerian prince I've been communicating with will help me cover the IRS bill. :)

You get a prince, I get Madame M. Gungalunga.

Madame Gungalunga writes to inform me that her husband, Dr. X. Gungalunga, was trampled to death by a flock of stampeding sheep whilst attempting to establish a clinic for ingrown toe nail sufferers in Burkina-Faso.

It seems that the good doctor has many millions stashed in a Nigerian bank account and Madame G. needs my help to get it out of the country before the inheritance tax man comes a-callin'.

If I will simply provide my bank account number and $1,000 to cover various processing fees, Madame G will reward me with a couple of million for my trouble.

You get a prince, I get Madame M. Gungalunga.

Madame Gungalunga writes to inform me that her husband, Dr. X. Gungalunga, was trampled to death by a flock of stampeding sheep whilst attempting to establish a clinic for ingrown toe nail sufferers in Burkina-Faso.

It seems that the good doctor has many millions stashed in a Nigerian bank account and Madame G. needs my help to get it out of the country before the inheritance tax man comes a-callin'.

If I will simply provide my bank account number and $1,000 to cover various processing fees, Madame G will reward me with a couple of million for my trouble.

Shad and his Doctor-wife are well acquainted with the Gungalungas. This is completely legitimate.

I had a call, supposedly from myself, yesterday.  It came to my landline and the caller ID indicated it was from my landline number and my name.  I wonder what that's about.  I answered and heard nothing other than a hang-up a few seconds later.

A friend had a great reply to olen mills photo calls. "I'd get a family portrait but the kids are so ugly" which was followed by a quick "oh I'm so sorry" and a quick hang up.

A friend had a great reply to olen mills photo calls. "I'd get a family portrait but the kids are so ugly" which was followed by a quick "oh I'm so sorry" and a quick hang up.

l0l

Olan Mills. Dang that's a blast from the past...

I like the couple I've gotten from one car dealership. They ask me how many miles I have on my car etc and it's Condition (Like New) and tell me they can give me a great deal rolling me into another one. Tell them my mileage which is Less that 10K a year and she gets all excited that my low mileage vehicle is Exactly what they're looking for. I tell them OK just swap me a New one for Nothing and they can have my car. She says it doesn't work that way. I say Look, I paid Cash for this one when I got it and fully expect it to go the 10yrs/100K miles on its Warranty and more and will probably be the Last car I get before I kick the bucket. Why would I want to have a Car Payment to make when I don't have one now? Then I say Thanks anyway and hang up.

I like the couple I've gotten from one car dealership. They ask me how many miles I have on my car etc and it's Condition (Like New) and tell me they can give me a great deal rolling me into another one. Tell them my mileage which is Less that 10K a year and she gets all excited that my low mileage vehicle is Exactly what they're looking for. I tell them OK just swap me a New one for Nothing and they can have my car. She says it doesn't work that way. I say Look, I paid Cash for this one when I got it and fully expect it to go the 10yrs/100K miles on its Warranty and more and will probably be the Last car I get before I kick the bucket. Why would I want to have a Car Payment to make when I don't have one now? Then I say Thanks anyway and hang up.

I'd rather spend that time talking to a hot babe.  ;)

I had a call, supposedly from myself, yesterday.  It came to my landline and the caller ID indicated it was from my landline number and my name.  I wonder what that's about.  I answered and heard nothing other than a hang-up a few seconds later.

I have also received those calls with my caller ID on it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/why-is-my-own-phone-number-calling-me/

It can be a bit disorienting when your phone rings and your own home phone number comes up on the caller ID. But will you answer the phone?

Scammers are betting you will, or at least you'll be more likely to than if the call came from "Unknown Name, Unknown Number," "Private Caller," or from some unrecognizable area code. The Better Business Bureau and others have recently issued warnings about this increasingly common tactic.

Similar calls are being documented on smart phones now. 

Similar calls are being documented on smart phones now.

I'm getting the free cruise and free vacation calls on my cell phone.

I'm getting the free cruise and free vacation calls on my cell phone.

Those calls may be the new versions of the old time share scams, Sir.  :)

Those calls may be the new versions of the old time share scams, Sir.  :)

Don't worry.  I hang up on them.

Does one's smart-phone bill reflect any (potentially) additional charges associated with the use of additional bandwidth or minutes from these spam calls?

Does one's smart-phone bill reflect any (potentially) additional charges associated with the use of additional bandwidth or minutes from these spam calls?

Any cell phone will use up minutes with a spam call.

For scam calls coming into your cell phone you can try Truecaller. It tries to identify who the caller is before you answer. The more numbers you report as spam the more it helps to identify. If a number calls you that has been idenified as spam the window will turn red and tell you the name and what the spam is about. Been using it for about 6 months and like it.

B)

Just saw a story on the news where they arrested 61 bag men in USA that collected the money for these calls that were coming out of India......

15,000+ Americans paid them over $300 million .....

Sometimes you can hear when the autodialer switches you to a person, I hear that and hang up. I kinda Like the ones when the Indian guy comes on and tells me he's my certified Microsoft consultant or whatever. I say "No You Aren't!" and hang up. One time I just yelled at them "Everyone knows about this Scam, it's over 3yrs old now, Cut It Out!"

Edited by Bartman

Sometimes you can hear when the autodialer switches you to a person, I hear that and hang up. I kinda Like the ones when the Indian guy comes on and tells me he's my certified Microsoft consultant or whatever. I say "No You Aren't!" and hang up. One time I just yelled at them "Everyone knows about this Scam, it's over 3yrs old now, Cut It Out!"

That's the worst thing you can do. All you've done is inform the scammers that your phone number is active, a fact that will be shared with other scammers,