* * - - - 4 votes

How to make songs by the Beatles sound almost good!

#songsplayedright

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#41 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,888 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:50 AM

Maybe the Beatles should have just stuck to instrumental music and let other people record it and not bothered with their lyrics. Much of what I have heard sounds rather childish to dimwitted or drug~influenced.

Probably the only thing you and I will ever agree on. :D
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#42 Guest_0ctoburn_*

Guest_0ctoburn_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:14 AM

No.  I like the jazz version presented above for what it sounds like.  The two songs by the Beatles I posted sound rather simple~minded whether they were on drugs or not when they wrote them and recorded them for release.

And if they were not on drugs at the time ~ maybe they should have been.  I do not see the "genius" aspect of them that a lot of people see.  Admittedly ~ they were well before my time ~ but those songs sound silly.  Even the songs they do that I do like sound like nothing special and actually very derivative in nature.

#43 Guest_0ctoburn_*

Guest_0ctoburn_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:19 AM

Probably the only thing you and I will ever agree on. :D

I doubt that. We have agreed before ~ just this past week in fact ~ and will likely agree again.

I simply do not "get" the notion that the Beatles were all that great. And especially when there were many other people writing classic songs at the time that people like without the cult of personality that surrounds the Beatles.

I love old Motown and soul music and that too was long before my time. I think that many of those writers have withstood the test of time far better than Beatle stuff.

Edited by 0ctoburn, 01 July 2016 - 10:20 AM.

#44 demopublican

demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,638 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 July 2016 - 02:25 PM

Derivative of what? I'm sure you two are right and all the musicians the credit them as inspiration were wrong

"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#45 Guest_0ctoburn_*

Guest_0ctoburn_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2016 - 03:52 PM

Derivative of what? I'm sure you two are right and all the musicians the credit them as inspiration were wrong

There is no right or wrong. Some people like them and some do not. Not one person here has explained why Justin Bieber's version of a Beatles song is so bad when even Carlos Santana obviously disagrees. I understand why people like to listen to old music they liked when they were younger. I love The Smiths and Oasis even though other people do not like them.

#46 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 03:58 PM

I think you have to look at the culture of the time in which they started out, in which pop music was largely a product turned out by the music publishing business. They'd hire somebody to write a song, book a studio, hire some musicians to record it (some of whom were groups or became groups) and that was the product. The Beatles were really the main ones to change that to artists who wrote and performed their own songs. Were "Love Me Do" and "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" great literature? Of course not, but for the time it was what the pop biz was about. It took people like Bob Dylan to actual start making a living singing songs worth thinking about, and quite a bit of the Beatles later output was quite significant. You can like it or not as is your taste and your prerogative, but it cannot be denied that they were on the leading edge of a cultural change that perhaps today is taken for granted.  

Edited by Steveg85321, 01 July 2016 - 03:59 PM.

#47 mcorioles

mcorioles

Hypocrisy Exposer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,408 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:42 PM

Basically the era you were born in has the best music for those people.Its the soundtrack of their lives.

Edited by mcorioles, 01 July 2016 - 06:42 PM.

#48 mcorioles

mcorioles

Hypocrisy Exposer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,408 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:43 PM

There is no right or wrong. Some people like them and some do not. Not one person here has explained why Justin Bieber's version of a Beatles song is so bad when even Carlos Santana obviously disagrees. I understand why people like to listen to old music they liked when they were younger. I love The Smiths and Oasis even though other people do not like them.

I love both of those groups even though The Oasis bros are Aholes.

#49 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,888 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:35 PM

Musical taste is subjective. I simply posted my opinion or rather agreed with octo's. 

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#50 zenwalk

zenwalk

Pundit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,836 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 11:45 AM

So you like Jazz versions because jazz has no history of drug use?

ha 

"A screaming comes across the sky. . ." -- Thomas Pynchon

#51 zenwalk

zenwalk

Pundit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,836 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:18 PM

"A screaming comes across the sky. . ." -- Thomas Pynchon

#52 veraciousmooncalf

veraciousmooncalf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,112 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 10:15 PM

Definitely not a boys band. The Beatles were real musicians with real talent. I like the raw stuff the best. 

#53 Guest_0ctoburn_*

Guest_0ctoburn_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2016 - 07:39 AM

The "genius and songwriting" of the Beatles on display. :D :P

Edited by 0ctoburn, 03 July 2016 - 07:41 AM.

#54 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,198 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 07:47 AM

A lot of the song songs you posted look dumb on their own but seemed to fit in well on album .......

That's another major difference in music today, folks buy songs or more accurately, hits on iTunes, etc ......

Back in the day musicians sold albums and there were themes to the albums and the songs fit together.......
They've got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#55 demopublican

demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,638 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 July 2016 - 07:55 AM

I am just enjoying how much octo listened to The Beatles this month.

"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#56 veraciousmooncalf

veraciousmooncalf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,112 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:30 AM

That you dont see the genius of the song writing shows us you really are out of your league when critiquing music.

#57 mlatoman

mlatoman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,290 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:13 AM

Music is like cuisine. Some like spicy Thai, some like a nice boiled New England dinner, some like sushi. What's great for some is yuck to others.

It's all good. Or bad! :P
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"This little piggie should have stayed home

#58 WhatintheHell

WhatintheHell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:53 PM

That's probably why Octoburn made the original remark in the title, thinking the Beatles and Monkees were the same thing when the Monkees were a cheap tv-made imitations of the Beatles. The Beatles changed the music industry. The Monkees had a few cute songs. Oasis, Weezer and Collective Soul will be long forgotten as the Beatles continue on.

As much as I love the Beatles you may be wrong. I think the younger generation could care less about the Beatles or they never heard of them. My girlfriends daughter asked me who Paul McCartney was. I couldn't believe it that she didn't know.

#59 demopublican

demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,638 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:05 PM

As much as I love the Beatles you may be wrong. I think the younger generation could care less about the Beatles or they never heard of them. My girlfriends daughter asked me who Paul McCartney was. I couldn't believe it that she didn't know.

The majority of kids and teens know the Beatles or will discover them.  

#60 mcorioles

mcorioles

Hypocrisy Exposer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,408 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:09 PM

The majority of kids and teens know the Beatles or will discover them.

I agree,essential listening but overrated musicians.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users