Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mcorioles

INTERPOL

15 posts in this topic

I'm slipping,getting older.These guys have been around 12 years or so and just found out about them.

I appreciate the tightness of this band,the drummer kicks ***.

They also have a very unique sound which is refreshing.

They don't suck, and yes, you're late to the party!  B)

I'd venture to say you may enjoy Arcade Fire, TV on the Radio, The National and perhaps the Arctic Monkeys as well. 

They don't suck, and yes, you're late to the party!  B)

I'd venture to say you may enjoy Arcade Fire, TV on the Radio, The National and perhaps the Arctic Monkeys as well.

Thanks,funny you should mention that,I'm fond of all of those but never heard of Interpol.

The Strokes are a mighty fine band also.

Thanks,funny you should mention that,I'm fond of all of those but never heard of Interpol.

Yep. I like The Strokes, too. You might like Cast, Jake Bugg, Orange Juice, The Ocean Colour Scene (I love this band), and Bluetones as well.

I love going down the rabbit hole of British 90s/00s era rock and roll. Good times!

I'm seeing the Stone Roses the end of next month at Madison Square Garden. Oh yeah. Check them out as well (I'm sure you're aware of them as well as maybe some of the others I mentioned)..

I'm slipping,getting older.These guys have been around 12 years or so and just found out about them.

:) Better late than never. :)

Yep. I like The Strokes, too. You might like Cast, Jake Bugg, Orange Juice, The Ocean Colour Scene (I love this band), and Bluetones as well.

I love going down the rabbit hole of British 90s/00s era rock and roll. Good times!

I'm seeing the Stone Roses the end of next month at Madison Square Garden. Oh yeah. Check them out as well (I'm sure you're aware of them as well as maybe some of the others I mentioned)..

I am not ashamed to admit that I am officially jealous now. Please let us know how you enjoy the Stone Roses show.

:)

I am not ashamed to admit that I am officially jealous now. Please let us know how you enjoy the Stone Roses show. :)

Will do. It's going to be a fun weekend. Thursday we see the Stone Roses, Saturday we see Paul Simon (Forest Hills Stadium in Queens), and Sunday we're seeing Steely Dan w/ Steve Winwood at the giant amphitheater in Camden, NJ. Whenever we see shows there, we stay in the Society Hill area of Philadelphia, and take the ferry over to the event. We're definitely excited!

I just saw Duran Duran in DC.

IMO a vastly underrated band and influential in some of the last 20 years groups.

For some reason they got made fun of a lot but the first 2 albums are killer and essential New Wave listening.

I just saw Duran Duran in DC.

IMO a vastly underrated band and influential in some of the last 20 years groups.

For some reason they got made fun of a lot but the first 2 albums are killer and essential New Wave listening.

Duran Duran, I think is a story where a great band was miscast as a teenybopping-heart throb 'boy band', and their legitimacy as a rock and roll band was unfairly questioned as a result.

If Duran Duran happened in a world without MTV, then they'd have gotten their due, me thinks.

I still remember, when their first album was released, Interpol was slammed for being nothing more than a Joy Division copycat. It was an opinion that must have been formed through the narrow view of Obstacle alone. In any event, they've proven themselves to be a consistent source of strong songs. I saw them a couple of years ago, and they didn't disappoint.  

Duran Duran, I think is a story where a great band was miscast as a teenybopping-heart throb 'boy band', and their legitimacy as a rock and roll band was unfairly questioned as a result.

If Duran Duran happened in a world without MTV, then they'd have gotten their due, me thinks.

Sounds about right. I was young when they "arrived". And I thought they were just a boy band. After a couple of years, I discovered their first album, and gained a real appreciation for them.

Much respect for their live playing.They are a very tight band.

IMO a small JD type of sound.Interpols singer has way more range.

Just wish the bass player didn't use a pick,Im partial to a finger player.

Sounds about right. I was young when they "arrived". And I thought they were just a boy band. After a couple of years, I discovered their first album, and gained a real appreciation for them.

You could tell Duran Duran had more to offer as the teenyboppers that fell in love with them all went to college and proceeded to fall in love with U2, REM, New Order etc (haha), they got to expand a bit. I think John and Andy merged with Robert Palmer and Tony Thompson (powerful) to form the Power Station, and the other guys created an album that likely one of them was itching to create (Arcadia). They were listening to some interesting stuff to come up with that. You knew they wanted to expand their sound. 

I mean, Andy Taylor with Robert Palmer is awesome on many levels...Side note on Palmer's ability to suss the MTV culture of the 80s perfectly:

"You want a #1 hit on MTV??" (writes 'Addicted to Love' and has a bunch of models pretend to play and just dance in front of Palmer and his $5k suit)...Top 10 pop rock song all time. 

The Power Station was fun, and I know they had a blast doing it...but outside of Get it On, and I guess Some Like it Hot, that album didn't do it for me. I think Palmer decided to ditch a tour idea(?) and they nabbed Michael DeBarres(sp?)?

Or I'm just overthinking it.

Edited by EnochRoot

You could tell Duran Duran had more to offer as the teenyboppers that fell in love with them all went to college and proceeded to fall in love with U2, REM, New Order etc (haha), they got to expand a bit. I think John and Andy merged with Robert Palmer and Tony Thompson (powerful) to form the Power Station, and the other guys created an album that likely one of them was itching to create (Arcadia). They were listening to some interesting stuff to come up with that. You knew they wanted to expand their sound.

I mean, Andy Taylor with Robert Palmer is awesome on many levels...Side note on Palmer's ability to suss the MTV culture of the 80s perfectly:

"You want a #1 hit on MTV??" (writes 'Addicted to Love' and has a bunch of models pretend to play and just dance in front of Palmer and his $5k suit)...Top 10 pop rock song all time.

The Power Station was fun, and I know they had a blast doing it...but outside of Get it On, and I guess Some Like it Hot, that album didn't do it for me. I think Palmer decided to ditch a tour idea(?) and they nabbed Michael DeBarres(sp?)?

Or I'm just overthinking it.

100% accurate.Duran has great musicians.Andy didn't get to shine until Power Station.Duran was and is a funk driven band.

It doesn't get any better than the bass line to RIO,John Taylor is a vastly underrated bassist.

Funny how all of these writers got it wrong and 30 years later are heaving accolades on them.

Edited by mcorioles