738 replies to this topic

#1 Norman

Norman

Underachiever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,773 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:33 AM

What do you think, good idea or bad? I know some people have thrown around this idea previously. Would you trust your fellow posters to be consistent and fair? Would you trust T_A to be consistent and fair in their selection? Could you be a moderator? Do you want more active moderation of the board? Thoughts? Concerns? Let your voice be heard!

Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pens
And keep your eyes open, the chance won't come again
And don't speak too soon, the wheel's still in spin
And there's no telling who that it's naming
Oh the loser will be later to win
For the times, they are a changing

#2 Guest_Chiaroscuro_*

Guest_Chiaroscuro_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:45 AM

I'm not sure. I'm on other forums where there is a lot of favoritism. That's not to say that the T/A doesn't favor. From what I've witnessed though, having other members moderate is not a good idea.

#3 CPR4LIFE

CPR4LIFE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,444 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:47 AM

I don't think it would go over to well. Even if mods didn't show any favoritism they'd still be accused of it.

Funny you bring this up cuz this thought just popped into my head yesterday. Get outta my head Norman! :mad:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Better to be hated than a hater.

#4 Hoot

Hoot

Not A Mod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,372 posts
  • LocationRavenstown

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:48 AM

I'd volunteer for the job.. ;) :D

#5 Mom49of4

Mom49of4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76,886 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:50 AM

If there were poster mods would they be known?
My children are my legacy.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

#6 Guest_Chiaroscuro_*

Guest_Chiaroscuro_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:56 AM

If there were poster mods would they be known?

Usually. On other forums they are known. Under their name is usually found "Forum moderator"

#7 Norman

Norman

Underachiever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,773 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:59 AM

Well sure Norman, when people like Smor...I mean Dagger John troll the board and make comments about overweight people being "whale-like" and 90% of what women say are useless, hey, sure I'd love to see more moderation. Sure, posts like that aren't very thought provoking nor do they contain any substance, but hey, what can you expect really? Offensive posts that are derogatory and in violation of the TOS like those should be removed as well as the poster.

One thing that still remains confusing is how alties can be reinstated after seriously offending others and creating dangerous situations (posting real names, places of employment etc) and posters like MLA, who would never do such a thing and had far less infractions on the board is banned permanently...definately some realistic things need to happen.

Some good points. (I don't think I want to get into individual posters cases here...)

I would guess that with the altie issue there has to be some sort of concrete proof (IP's or whatever, which can be gotten around) plus I'd venture a guess that there are a lot more people with multiple ID's than we think.

As to the posting of people's info, it's dangerous, but I think it's the nature of the internet message board...for the most part (but not in every case) these people wouldn't have the info if it wasn't given out to begin with.

#8 Inkadinkadude

Inkadinkadude

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:00 AM

Offensive posts that are derogatory and in violation of the TOS like those should be removed as well as the poster.

Offensive and derogatory posts don't always violate the TOS. And if everything that someone thought was offensive or derogatory was removed it would be very boring here or on any forum. My suggestion is not to feed the trolls. They're less likely to stay around or return.

As far as the subject of moderators goes, it works on many boards but wouldn't work here. For one thing, the admins on other boards actually monitor and participate in the forums and they get to know the posters. They then choose mods that post in a way that shows them to be fair and sensible people less likely to act out of anger or favoritism.

You can't avoid complaints of favoritism. No matter the system, it's part of human nature.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#9 Sprightly

Sprightly

Relaxing in Bimini

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,829 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:01 AM

No need for forum moderators.
To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover the prisoner was you.

#10 msmesenger6

msmesenger6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:24 AM

Nah, don't need 'em. We're all grownups here. If something offensive to women, men, whoever or whatever is posted, IGNORE it!
"Forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them more."

#11 Norman

Norman

Underachiever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,773 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:24 AM

Offensive and derogatory posts don't always violate the TOS. And if everything that someone thought was offensive or derogatory was removed it would be very boring here or on any forum. My suggestion is not to feed the trolls. They're less likely to stay around or return.

As far as the subject of moderators goes, it works on many boards but wouldn't work here. For one thing, the admins on other boards actually monitor and participate in the forums and they get to know the posters. They then choose mods that post in a way that shows them to be fair and sensible people less likely to act out of anger or favoritism.
You can't avoid complaints of favoritism. No matter the system, it's part of human nature.

I think I would question if they actually follow the board enough to really know posters before they'd select them...

#12 yuca

yuca

Member?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,534 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:28 AM

I'd volunteer for the job.. ;) :D

That's funny, because I'd actually nominate you. :D

As for the general issue of having moderators... If they could be impartial, consistent, and not anal retentive, I'd be all for it.

#13 Sprightly

Sprightly

Relaxing in Bimini

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,829 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:30 AM

I would volunteer to take a paid position. :)
To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover the prisoner was you.

#14 WKDWZD

WKDWZD

Bloody Foreigner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,578 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:36 AM

We don't need no stinkin moderators...
Honi soit qui mal y pense.

#15 CPR4LIFE

CPR4LIFE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,444 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:45 AM

I think I would question if they actually follow the board enough to really know posters before they'd select them...

That too...with the thousands of posts that go up on this board daily how can T/A know for sure who would be fair and impartial?

I pretty much stick to OM, the Ravens board and the Entertainment board...and I have a hard time keeping up with just that! :eek:

I suppose they could put together a crew, assign specific boards and have each member of the crew watch their assigned board and make their assessments of who would be a good choice...but I can't see them investing that kind of time and $$$ into something like selecting mods.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Better to be hated than a hater.

#16 Norman

Norman

Underachiever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,773 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:46 AM

That's funny, because I'd actually nominate you. :D

As for the general issue of having moderators... If they could be impartial, consistent, and not anal retentive, I'd be all for it.

Who's left after that? :D

#17 Hoot

Hoot

Not A Mod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,372 posts
  • LocationRavenstown

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:01 AM

What happens if a moderator gets banned? ;) :D

#18 yuca

yuca

Member?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,534 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:02 AM

Who's left after that? :D

Good question. :P

What happens if a moderator gets banned?

I guess they end up in your basement. :D

#19 Hoot

Hoot

Not A Mod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,372 posts
  • LocationRavenstown

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:04 AM

I guess they end up in your basement. :D

No way! It's too crowded down there now! :eek:

#20 Norman