Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Norman

Poster Moderators?

741 posts in this topic

What do you think, good idea or bad? I know some people have thrown around this idea previously. Would you trust your fellow posters to be consistent and fair? Would you trust T_A to be consistent and fair in their selection? Could you be a moderator? Do you want more active moderation of the board? Thoughts? Concerns? Let your voice be heard!

Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pens

And keep your eyes open, the chance won't come again

And don't speak too soon, the wheel's still in spin

And there's no telling who that it's naming

Oh the loser will be later to win

For the times, they are a changing

I'm not sure. I'm on other forums where there is a lot of favoritism. That's not to say that the T/A doesn't favor. From what I've witnessed though, having other members moderate is not a good idea.

If there were poster mods would they be known?

Usually. On other forums they are known. Under their name is usually found "Forum moderator"

Well sure Norman, when people like Smor...I mean Dagger John troll the board and make comments about overweight people being "whale-like" and 90% of what women say are useless, hey, sure I'd love to see more moderation. Sure, posts like that aren't very thought provoking nor do they contain any substance, but hey, what can you expect really? Offensive posts that are derogatory and in violation of the TOS like those should be removed as well as the poster.

One thing that still remains confusing is how alties can be reinstated after seriously offending others and creating dangerous situations (posting real names, places of employment etc) and posters like MLA, who would never do such a thing and had far less infractions on the board is banned permanently...definately some realistic things need to happen.

Some good points. (I don't think I want to get into individual posters cases here...)

I would guess that with the altie issue there has to be some sort of concrete proof (IP's or whatever, which can be gotten around) plus I'd venture a guess that there are a lot more people with multiple ID's than we think.

As to the posting of people's info, it's dangerous, but I think it's the nature of the internet message board...for the most part (but not in every case) these people wouldn't have the info if it wasn't given out to begin with.

Offensive posts that are derogatory and in violation of the TOS like those should be removed as well as the poster.

Offensive and derogatory posts don't always violate the TOS. And if everything that someone thought was offensive or derogatory was removed it would be very boring here or on any forum. My suggestion is not to feed the trolls. They're less likely to stay around or return.

As far as the subject of moderators goes, it works on many boards but wouldn't work here. For one thing, the admins on other boards actually monitor and participate in the forums and they get to know the posters. They then choose mods that post in a way that shows them to be fair and sensible people less likely to act out of anger or favoritism.

You can't avoid complaints of favoritism. No matter the system, it's part of human nature.

Offensive and derogatory posts don't always violate the TOS. And if everything that someone thought was offensive or derogatory was removed it would be very boring here or on any forum. My suggestion is not to feed the trolls. They're less likely to stay around or return.

As far as the subject of moderators goes, it works on many boards but wouldn't work here. For one thing, the admins on other boards actually monitor and participate in the forums and they get to know the posters. They then choose mods that post in a way that shows them to be fair and sensible people less likely to act out of anger or favoritism.

You can't avoid complaints of favoritism. No matter the system, it's part of human nature.

I think I would question if they actually follow the board enough to really know posters before they'd select them...

I'd volunteer for the job.. ;):D
That's funny, because I'd actually nominate you. :D

As for the general issue of having moderators... If they could be impartial, consistent, and not anal retentive, I'd be all for it.

I think I would question if they actually follow the board enough to really know posters before they'd select them...

That too...with the thousands of posts that go up on this board daily how can T/A know for sure who would be fair and impartial?

I pretty much stick to OM, the Ravens board and the Entertainment board...and I have a hard time keeping up with just that! :eek:

I suppose they could put together a crew, assign specific boards and have each member of the crew watch their assigned board and make their assessments of who would be a good choice...but I can't see them investing that kind of time and $$$ into something like selecting mods.

That's funny, because I'd actually nominate you. :D

As for the general issue of having moderators... If they could be impartial, consistent, and not anal retentive, I'd be all for it.

Who's left after that? :D

That too...with the thousands of posts that go up on this board daily how can T/A know for sure who would be fair and impartial?

I pretty much stick to OM, the Ravens board and the Entertainment board...and I have a hard time keeping up with just that! :eek:

I suppose they could put together a crew, assign specific boards and have each member of the crew watch their assigned board and make their assessments of who would be a good choice...but I can't see them investing that kind of time and $$$ into something like selecting mods.

I guess you're helping me decide that I'm not too keen on the whole thing. I bet some great people would be picked...but it might put them in a fairly weird postion with their fellow posters.

I guess you're helping me decide that I'm not too keen on the whole thing. I bet some great people would be picked...but it might put them in a fairly weird postion with their fellow posters.

That's why I'd rather have anonymous Moderators who actually work for the Sun ... No, they're not always fair (MLA's case) but, I couldn't do something like that cause I'd be bombarded w/ requests from friends to ban this one and that one. No way!!! Too much pressure. And I can't stand sitting at a computer all day long reading posts, looking for violtions, etc. I'M NOT GONNA BE THE O.M. POLICE ... no way, no how!!!