Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bowie-Bruce

A pair of OTs

10 posts in this topic

This thread likely won't last too long, but what the hell. Does anyone have a rooting interest in two major events today, the U.S. Open and NBA finals?

I'm pulling for Jason Day and the Warriors.

Bruce, I'm going to be following both. My first choice for the U.S. Open is my fellow alum Matt Kuchar, but he probably needs to shoot a 57 to have a chance :D . I wouldn't mind seeing Dustin Johnson have a good round, and he is tied for second at four shots back. I like Jason Day a lot, but being eight shots back is going to be really hard.

I'm all Warriors tonight.

I'm rooting for Cleveland. No player as good or as successful as LeBron has ever had so much baseless hate thrown his way.

Edited by Slidemaster

I was rooting for Golden State, but one thing I think these Finals have ascertained is that you'll never see a 74-win team in the NBA. I think the strain of chasing the regular-season record took a toll on them which was exploited in the playoffs. Granted, by the Finals both teams are numb with fatigue, but even in the earlier rounds the Warriors didn't look like a 73-win team and Steph Curry was clearly not himself. 

Now instead of being the greatest team ever, the Warriors have to endure the dual ignominy of most regular season wins without a championship, and also the first team to blow a 3-1 lead in the Finals. Better to win 55 or 60 games during the season and save a little of that energy for the playoff grind.

Edited by mdrunning

Happy for Cleveland ......

LeBron put the team on his back and put on one of the all time performances the past few weeks ......

Maybe some of the Golden state hype won't be as bad next year .....

I'm rooting for Cleveland. No player as good or as successful as LeBron has ever had so much baseless hate thrown his way.

I was rooting for GS mainly because I think it's funny when Cleveland fails.  Mainly based on the Browns.

Only problem I have with Lebron is that he travels constantly, but then again so does everyone else.  That along with random interpretation of what a foul is makes the NBA hard to watch.

It's interesting to note that this year's NHL and NBA champions--Pittsburgh and Cleveland--made coaching changes in-season. That probably doesn't give you a very warm and fuzzy feeling if you happen to be a coach in either of those leagues.

The NBA Finals also capped a rather peculiar grand slam in that none of the teams which posted the best regular season record went on to win the championship. The Cardinals lost in the divisional round of the MLB playoffs, Carolina lost in the Super Bowl, the Caps went belly-up in the NHL second round, and of course, the Warriors couldn't close the deal against Cleveland. As I stated earlier, in light of what happened to Golden State, I don't expect to see any NBA team actively chasing the 73-win mark any time soon.

It's interesting to note that this year's NHL and NBA champions--Pittsburgh and Cleveland--made coaching changes in-season. That probably doesn't give you a very warm and fuzzy feeling if you happen to be a coach in either of those leagues.

The NBA Finals also capped a rather peculiar grand slam in that none of the teams which posted the best regular season record went on to win the championship. The Cardinals lost in the divisional round of the MLB playoffs, Carolina lost in the Super Bowl, the Caps went belly-up in the NHL second round, and of course, the Warriors couldn't close the deal against Cleveland. As I stated earlier, in light of what happened to Golden State, I don't expect to see any NBA team actively chasing the 73-win mark any time soon.

I don't know .....

As much as I was pulling for Cleveland it took a historical performance by lj and some key player absences for this to play out .... .

If green was suspended for the pivotal game 5 snd bogut doesn't get hurt it's highly unlikely Cleveland comes back from down 3 1 for first time in nba history .....

Gs was that close to one of the most amazing seasons ever ....

Sadly, this week also represents the 30-year anniversary of the tragic death of Len Bias. 

I still look back and think what might have been. I think Bias, like Jordan, would have been one of those players who ultimately proved to be a better professional than a collegian. He was going to the NBA champion Celtics, which would have been a perfect fit. He could have started out playing 20-some minutes per game without the pressure of having to be great right away. He would have given the Celtics one element they didn't have: juice. He would have been the guy who would have brought down the Boston Garden rafters with a rim-rattling dunk; good as they were, the Celtics didn't have a guy like Bias. And sadly, they ultimately never did.

I've always thought that the Bias tragedy set the Boston franchise back at least a generation, since Bias was the player who would have bridged the gap from the Bird era to the next. I also don't think it's a coincidence that the Celtics began to go downhill in a hurry not long afterward. Yes, they reached the Finals again in 1987, but they clearly were not the same team. Kevin McHale played the second half of that season on what amounted to a broken foot and was never quite the same again. Bird's back and Achilles tendon problems began to catch up to him, and the rest of the starters were clearly worn down as age and injuries began to take their toll.

It was almost too good to be true, and then, suddenly, it wasn't. A terrible waste of a very promising life. Or, as Bird put it, "the cruelest thing ever."