Baltimatt

DeRay Mckesson named to new city schools cabinet

162 posts in this topic

I doubt that he is expected to work on weekends, Papi. People do travel on Saturdays and Sundays. :)

My wife and I are on vacation at the beach this weekend. She works for the County school system in the central office. She is at this moment on her computer doing work that involves setting up new teachers for the fall. It is Sunday morning. I can assure you that folks that work in the central office are "on duty" all weekend, every weekend, being expected to respond to emails, set up meetings, review documents, and sometimes go into the office. Last weekend on Saturday I volunteered to assist - went to my wife's office with her. Stuffed training folders for new teachers while she did work for about 4 hours. Of course this is in Baltimore County, not the city.  

How quickly did DeRay get to Louisiana after quitting time on Friday. He got arrested yesterday. Think he will be back in the office Monday morning? 

Sorry, but there is no way the head of the "human capital" office should be out of state being arrested protesting during the absolute busiest time of the year for a school system. Except in a dysfunctional system like the city's. He will probably get some sort of commendation when instead he should be fired.

My wife and I are on vacation at the beach this weekend. She works for the County school system in the central office. She is at this moment on her computer doing work that involves setting up new teachers for the fall. It is Sunday morning. I can assure you that folks that work in the central office are "on duty" all weekend, every weekend, being expected to respond to emails, set up meetings, review documents, and sometimes go into the office. Last weekend on Saturday I volunteered to assist - went to my wife's office with her. Stuffed training folders for new teachers while she did work for about 4 hours. Of course this is in Baltimore County, not the city.  

How quickly did DeRay get to Louisiana after quitting time on Friday. He got arrested yesterday. Think he will be back in the office Monday morning? 

Sorry, but there is no way the head of the "human capital" office should be out of state being arrested protesting during the absolute busiest time of the year for a school system. Except in a dysfunctional system like the city's. He will probably get some sort of commendation when instead he should be fired.

Sorry but I think your comments are ridiculous and how your wife and you decide to spend your weekend has nothing to do with this story.

He was charged with a misdemeanor and released.

Sorry but I think your comments are ridiculous and how your wife and you decide to spend your weekend has nothing to do with this story.

Good post Sprightly. Papi's being ridiculous. Big dummy shouldn't have gotten himself arrested, but to question his weekend whereabouts is just stupid.

Sorry but it's a matter of a work ethic and good sense versus misguided "activism" and grandstanding. He should be fired as an embarrassment to the school system, but the city system is probably too stupid to be embarrassed by such behavior of a senior staff person ("interim" of not). 

Sorry but it's a matter of a work ethic and good sense versus misguided "activism" and grandstanding. He should be fired as an embarrassment to the school system, but the city system is probably too stupid to be embarrassed by such behavior of a senior staff person ("interim" of not). 

A "good work ethic" doesn't dictate that one works on weekends (unless that's when they are supposed to work).  He wasn't there representing Baltimore City.  And I guess I have to tell you (oddly) that we are permitted to have interests outside of our profession.

Good post Sprightly. Papi's being ridiculous. Big dummy shouldn't have gotten himself arrested, but to question his weekend whereabouts is just stupid.

You obviously have never worked for a school system nor understand that the summer is the absolute busiest time for central office staff, particular in the personnel area. What you call "being ridiculous" is simply me understanding something that you do not. While I am retired and can take a week to be at the beach with my grandchildren in the summer my wife has never been able to do so. She will be leaving here at 3:00 AM Monday so she can be at work at 7:00 AM monday morning. If she is lucky she will be able to come back down Wednesday night and take Thursday and Friday as vacation days, but there is no guarantee. That is the expectation placed on central office staff in the summer - weekends and vacations are expected to take a back seat to being prepared for the first day of school in late August.

It's no wonder the city is typically a fuster cluck on the first day of school, since (if De Ray is any indication) they don't have that same approach to getting ready for the school year.

Edited by Papi

A "good work ethic" doesn't dictate that one works on weekends (unless that's when they are supposed to work).  He wasn't there representing Baltimore City.  And I guess I have to tell you (oddly) that we are permitted to have interests outside of our profession.

Obviously you have never worked in a school system either. 

Obviously you have never worked in a school system either. 

Obviously it doesn't matter. You and your wife make choices. He made his. I haven't checked work e-mail all weekend because I decided that I didn't want to do so.  Don't visit your choices upon others. :)

And, again, you are just being ridiculous.

Edited by Sprightly

Obviously it doesn't matter. You and your wife makes choices. He made his. I haven't checked work e-mail all weekend because I decided that I didn't want to do so.  Don't visit your choices upon others. :)

And, again, you are just being ridiculous.

No, you are simply not tuned in to what the expectations can be in professions other than yours. Some professions do not have the luxury of simply not checking email over the weekend. I happen to be married to someone who is in that situation so I am familiar with it. But I can assure you that what I described is typical of an effective school system, which clearly omits the city's system.  

No, you are simply not tuned in to what the expectations can be in professions other than yours. Some professions do not have the luxury of simply not checking email over the weekend. I happen to be married to someone who is in that situation so I am familiar with it. But I can assure you that what I described is typical of an effective school system, which clearly omits the city's system.  

lol  Oh Papi. You don't know everything. Maybe you should stop while you're ahead. :)

lol  Oh Papi. You don't know everything. Maybe you should stop while you're ahead. :)

On this topic I happen to know a bit more than you and a few others. Maybe you need to quit while you're behind.  :)

On this topic I happen to know a bit more than you and a few others. Maybe you need to quit while you're behind.  :)

I am going to walk away because if I don't, you will continue to respond with more nonsense. I will do you the courtesy of not enabling that. :) Have a nice day and tell your wife to relax and enjoy her vacation.  :)

The arrest should never have occurred. The police picked on him because of who he is.

I am going to walk away because if I don't, you will continue to respond with more nonsense. I will do you the courtesy of not enabling that. :) Have a nice day and tell your wife to relax and enjoy her vacation.   :)

She's been in education for 43 years, the last 15 or so in central office roles. I have been trying to get her to take and enjoy a summer vacation during those last 15 years and the answer was always the same - she can't - way too much to do (new teacher orientation, curriculum writing and revisons, summer academy for newer (under 5 year) teachers to improve their skills, and on and on). So we have been taking October or March/April vacations instead, and she sneaks in a couple of days at the beach during the week that our extended family gets together from all over the country each July. But thankfully she is retiring at the end of the month, so perhaps some summer relaxation can be in her future.  :)

Hope you enjoy your walk. Sorry to seem so argumentative but having lived with this summer work situation for so long the whole De Ray situation just struck a raw nerve. I apologize if I came on too strong. 

Edited by Papi

But it is fair to question his behavior and judgement in light of his recent hire into a position of leadership .....

Lots of leadership positions have clause for inappropriate conduct, criminal offenses, etc .....

while he has a right to peacefully protest, being employed by the taxpayers while taking part in illegal behavior is not a right ....

She's been in education for 43 years, the last 15 or so in central office roles. I have been trying to get her to take and enjoy a summer vacation during those last 15 years and the answer was always the same - she can't - way too much to do (new teacher orientation, curriculum writing and revisons, summer academy for newer (under 5 year) teachers to improve their skills, and on and on). So we have been taking October or March/April vacations instead, and she sneaks in a couple of days at the beach during the week that our extended family gets together from all over the country each July. But thankfully she is retiring at the end of the month, so perhaps some summer relaxation can be in her future. :)

Hope you enjoy your walk. Sorry to seem so argumentative but having lived with this summer work situation for so long the whole De Ray situation just struck a raw nerve. I apologize if I came on too strong.

You sound like bart now ....

You obviously have never worked for a school system nor understand that the summer is the absolute busiest time for central office staff, particular in the personnel area. What you call "being ridiculous" is simply me understanding something that you do not. While I am retired and can take a week to be at the beach with my grandchildren in the summer my wife has never been able to do so. She will be leaving here at 3:00 AM Monday so she can be at work at 7:00 AM monday morning. If she is lucky she will be able to come back down Wednesday night and take Thursday and Friday as vacation days, but there is no guarantee. That is the expectation placed on central office staff in the summer - weekends and vacations are expected to take a back seat to being prepared for the first day of school in late August.

It's no wonder the city is typically a fuster cluck on the first day of school, since (if De Ray is any indication) they don't have that same approach to getting ready for the school year.

Uh. I was a middle school science teacher for two years. My mom taught for 40 years. People have time off. :rolleyes: Edited by Marshan Man

But it is fair to question his behavior and judgement in light of his recent hire into a position of leadership .....

Lots of leadership positions have clause for inappropriate conduct, criminal offenses, etc .....

while he has a right to peacefully protest, being employed by the taxpayers while taking part in illegal behavior is not a right ....

Agreed, but to question where he goes is beyond the pale. The reasons why he went and what he did there are separate matters.

I do wonder what his priorities will be now that he has an upper level executive position. These are not 40 hour a week jobs.

And it is not a successful organization. There is a lot of work to be done and summer is the busy season for "human capital" in a school system.

I do wonder what his priorities will be now that he has an upper level executive position. These are not 40 hour a week jobs.

Which was the point I was trying to make, perhaps too crudely. 

Uh. I was a middle school science teacher for two years. My mom taught for 40 years. People have time off. :rolleyes:

When my wife was a classroom teacher summers were great, truly a vacation other than the occasional training course. It's a lot different for central office staff. Summers are a really busy time for those folks. 

It's a lot different for central office staff. Summers are a really busy time for those folks.

They have to work sometime .....

They have to work sometime .....

They work hard all year. Summer is just crunch time. Some folks who disparage the central office staff oversimplify based on incorrect perceptions of what they do to support the classroom teachers. Baltimore city may be a poor example, but the central office staff in Baltimore County bust their butts to support the classroom teachers. I too have issue with some of the bureacratic stuff that creeps in, but on balance the staff in central office are there to make it possible for the classroom teachers to be successful. The vast majority of classroom teachers appreciate that support.

They work hard all year. Summer is just crunch time. Some folks who disparage the central office staff oversimplify based on incorrect perceptions of what they do to support the classroom teachers. Baltimore city may be a poor example, but the central office staff in Baltimore County bust their butts to support the classroom teachers. I too have issue with some of the bureacratic stuff that creeps in, but on balance the staff in central office are there to make it possible for the classroom teachers to be successful. The vast majority of classroom teachers appreciate that support.

How about that .....

It's always the other guy that isn't pulling their weight.....