Hoco League Champ   26 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the title this year?

• Howard
    • Oakland Mills
    • Atholton
    • Glenelg
    • Wilde Lake
    • Other

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

529 posts in this topic

Baltimore City and County have started their thread so I guess its safe to start this one.

Howard County has always produced good times during the fall and into the winter. Few questions as we start the season....

-Will Howard be beaten? (Howard has a 24 game winning streak against the county)

-Will Centennial win a game? (20 game losing streak in the county)

-Who are the sleeper teams? (My pick is Atholton. New coach and lots of returning talent)

-Is this the year River Hill finally doesn't have a winning record? (Someone is going to have to help me out the last time that happened)

My Power rankings for the upcoming season

Howard

Oakland Mill

Atholton

Glenelg

Wilde Lake

Reservoir

River Hill

Marriotts Ridge

Long Reach

Hammond

Mount Hebron

Centennial

Baltimore City and County have started their thread so I guess its safe to start this one.

Howard County has always produced good times during the fall and into the winter. Few questions as we start the season....

-Will Howard be beaten? (Howard has a 24 game winning streak against the county)

-Who are the sleeper teams? (My pick is Atholton. New coach and lots of returning talent)

-Is this the year River Hill finally doesn't have a winning record? (Someone is going to have to help me out the last time that happened)

Howard

Oakland Mill

Atholton

Glenelg

Wilde Lake

Reservoir

River Hill

Marriotts Ridge

Long Reach

Hammond

Mount Hebron

Centennial

Still a pretty solid Power Rankings, but I believe I would put Hammond last in the Conference.  I know they will have 19 seniors, but they will be bringing up JV players that won only 1 game in 2 years. Add a new coach with possibly different schemes and I think this could be a long year for Hammond.  I believe Centennial will win one game, perhaps against Hammond in their season opener.

I think Hammond still has better athletes than Centennial. Centennial has to prove to me they can win a game before I predict them to do so. In that entire program only the sophomore class has experienced a win (2 jv games). Loser of that first game will probably go winless for the remainder of the year.

Howard goes unbeaten btw. Again I will need to see somebody beat them before I predict them losing a league game. Lots of talent and drive from the program. Will need a quality game from someone this year to knock Howard off.

OLine,

If the athletes you are talking about are 2-Time 1st Team All County DL DJ Adediwura (Fairmont St) , 2015 1st Team All County performers AJ Ademiluyi and Stanley Springer, 2nd Team All County Gideon Fobbs along with LB Hamidou Mapangal (Bowie St) they have all graduated this Spring. Now while I do understand where you coming from when it comes to Centennial, I just have this feeling Centennial and Hammond will flip-flop this coming season.  But hey, I been wrong before....

Howard has some big question marks, like can Porter fill the shoes of Crawford at QB, and can Thornton & others make up for the production left my Anderson. Depth at receiver is going to hellish for any secondary to try and keep up with. I have not seen many defences in the league stop Howard's offensive schemes. 

Lots of athletes still there. Defense could be better this year with most starters returning (again big voids to fill up the middle with Vale and Robinson leaving). JV team has been great the last few years and the Howard coaches also do a great job coaching everyone up and developing solid schemes and game plans. 

Expectations are high. 3rd straight county and regional title are now the goals for the Lions every year until proven otherwise. 

While I do agree Howard has some question marks, I don't think most of them are big ones. Now Crawford was probably the best QB Howard has had in quite some time, but with Howard's receiving corps I don't believe Porter's skill set has to be on the same level as Crawford.  Those receivers will make him look pretty good.  Howard's string of 4 consecutive 1st Team All County RB may come to an end, but that's because Howard is loaded with some home run threats such as Thornton, Agbai and Dawkins.  Due to experience I believe Thornton will get more carries between the trio, but it will be tough to keep Agbai and Dawkins off the field.  Now, I must agree with you regarding their defense, this "should" be a pretty good unit with about 7 starters returning, but not sure who will step up at the middle LB spots. 

Should be an interesting season for the Lions, who usually has the "one game at a time" mentality, which equates to winning the county first, then the regionals.  But they are thinking about getting back to The Bank. They have that bitter taste of 55-6 in their mouths from last year. Plus they are playing for a teammate who lost his life in a car accident.

City travels to Howard this year for our yearly scrimmage. Look forward to see how we stack up against Howard this year.

City travels to Howard this year for our yearly scrimmage. Look forward to see how we stack up against Howard this year.

Its been a good scrimmage in the past. Both teams give each other a quality look to get ready for the season. 

Howard

Oakland Mill

Atholton

Glenelg

Wilde Lake

Reservoir

River Hill

Marriotts Ridge

Long Reach

Hammond

Mount Hebron

Centennial

River Hill will not have a losing season.  They will finished around 7-3 or 6-4.  I think teams like Glenelg, Marriotts Ridge and Reservoir are better than River Hill talent-wise, but I think River Hill will find a way to beat them.  As far as the last time River Hill had a losing season, I can't pin that year for you. I believe River Hill has a losing season in 1998 before going 7-3 in 1999 during Don Van Deusen's last season coaching the football team.  But I don't know if his son Brian Van Dueson had a losing season during his early seasons.  I am guessing maybe Oil Can or Mamba can fill us in on this.

May be '98. Could possibly be one of BVD's first 3 years, when the Hawks went 17-12-1 from '00-02. They may mave gone 6-4 twice, 5-4-1, the other. Then, 9-3 in '03. Then the 9 year amazing run from '04-12, when the Hawks went 110-9 overall, with 4 state titles, and 3 14-0 seasons. The Hawks went 11 seasons with no more than 2 regular season losses, or 3 overall, from '03-13. Van Duesen's 16 year record at River Hill is 159-36-1 (.815).

Thanks Mamba.

Sho- River hill is just lacking the talent they use to have and teams are not as fearful of them as they have been in the past. I think most teams have a grip on the stopping the wing-T offense that river hill uses. The biggest reason I put the question out was I heard Shaw tore his ACL and could be done for the year.

Thanks Mamba.

Sho- River hill is just lacking the talent they use to have and teams are not as fearful of them as they have been in the past. I think most teams have a grip on the stopping the wing-T offense that river hill uses. The biggest reason I put the question out was I heard Shaw tore his ACL and could be done for the year.

Man GDEF....now that was some KEY INFO you left out before you asked that question.  If QB Shaw tore his ACL that could mean big trouble for River Hill.  But I still believe there are some teams that are still afraid of that River Hill Mystic. Here's their schedule for the upcoming season I believe:

at Wilde Lake

Glenelg

Howard

at Reservior

at Marriots Ridge

Long Reach

Oakland Mills

at Atholton

at Hammond

Mt Hebron

The 2 games I believe they will definitely lose is to Oakland Mills and Howard because their ability to score points in bunches.  I am assuming Atholton will be much better with Coach Carey back to lead them, but then again this is their rival along with Glenelg,meaning anything can happen.  But the rest of these teams on their schedule I don't quite trust in getting the job done even against a Shaw-less River Hill squad. With Shaw being down Wilde Lake, Reservoir, Marriotts Ridge and probably Long Reach "should" beat River Hill, but I guess we shall see.  Right now I am now saying another 5-5 season...

Its been a good scrimmage in the past. Both teams give each other a quality look to get ready for the season.

This should be a good one as usual even though I think Howard's strength at receiver will be a major test for City. City's ground game and size up front should give Howard a real good look. This should be a good barometer for both teams heading into the season.

This should be a good one as usual even though I think Howard's strength at receiver will be a major test for City. City's ground game and size up front should give Howard a real good look. This should be a good barometer for both teams heading into the season.

I "believe" Howard is still trying to figure out who will start at a couple positions.  So I am not sure how the coaching staff "attack" this scrimmage.  But I do agree this will be a pretty good barometer for both teams.

I hope Howard throws the ball a lot to give city db's and pass rush major reps. Interested to see how Howard can handle city ground game.

City40Blast and 85Knight,

Did you guys attend the scrimmage?  I personally thought City played better than whatever the scoreboard may have.  I thought City was hurt by a couple of mistake in handling the football.  I thought the running game was pretty good especially with the QB able to run some keepers.  He has a strong arm and threw some nice passes.  They probably will play better than what others are predicting this season.

I say I think we finally have found our qb, he had a good game and the td run was nice. If I'm right in the half field scrimmage Howard starters 14, city starters 7. Howard backups 7, city back ups 0.

Full game like was Howard 21-6.

City was able to move the ball which made me happy because Howard d-line is good. Mental errors by city maybe cost two scores that int in the redzone was terrible. Big tb from city should have a good year. City linebackers missed so many tackles.

Howard offense is fast, the one back took it to the house like 90 yards. That little jet sweep is nice. Wr's ran nice routes but one thing the tackles held a whole lot on o-line and should have been flagged more. They have to work on defending deep passes also.

Did you guys attend the scrimmage? I personally thought City played better than whatever the scoreboard may have. I thought City was hurt by a couple of mistake in handling the football. I thought the running game was pretty good especially with the QB able to run some keepers. He has a strong arm and threw some nice passes. They probably will play better than what others are predicting this season.

I say I think we finally have found our qb, he had a good game and the td run was nice. If I'm right in the half field scrimmage Howard starters 14, city starters 7. Howard backups 7, city back ups 0.

Full game like was Howard 21-6.

City was able to move the ball which made me happy because Howard d-line is good. Mental errors by city maybe cost two scores that int in the redzone was terrible. Big tb from city should have a good year. City linebackers missed so many tackles.

Howard offense is fast, the one back took it to the house like 90 yards. That little jet sweep is nice. Wr's ran nice routes but one thing the tackles held a whole lot on o-line and should have been flagged more. They have to work on defending deep passes also.

I "believe" Howard is still trying to figure out who will start at a couple positions.  So I am not sure how the coaching staff "attack" this scrimmage.  But I do agree this will be a pretty good barometer for both teams.

Now you know why I stated that earlier.  I believe those positions are still up for grabs.

Do you think City will allow their QB to run during the season?

Edited by ShoNuff07

Can't afford the qb to get beat up so maybe a couple carries a game.

Edited by city40blast

Did you guys attend the scrimmage? I personally thought City played better than whatever the scoreboard may have. I thought City was hurt by a couple of mistake in handling the football. I thought the running game was pretty good especially with the QB able to run some keepers. He has a strong arm and threw some nice passes. They probably will play better than what others are predicting this season.

Unfortunately I got there late and missed City's 1st team offense. I did see Howard's passing game look really good against City's defense and that running back had some great moves. I'm glad to hear that City's 1st string offense had some success because their 2nd team didn't look very good. So it went pretty much as expected out there in the heat. Howard will be tough as expected and City will be better but will struggle with depth.

Couple days away from the season offically starting. Week 1 schedule (and my predictions)

River Hill @ Wilde Lake

I think both of these traditional powers will be tier 2 teams this year fighting for the last playoff spot. This is a big game for bonus points. I think River Hill sneaks by with a 21-14 win.

Centennial @ Hammond

Both teams will be trying to stay out of the basement this year. I think Hammond has just some more speed. Centennial only has 25 players on their roster. Thats so unthinkable this time and age, but that will be a problem for this team moving forward. I think this is close, but Hammond pulls it out 14-0

Long Reach @ Mt. Hebron

Long Reach is a little bit of a sleeper team with maybe the best QB in the league. Plus a really strong JV team from last year. Hebron also had a strong JV team from last year, but still have too many question marks and it seems unlikely they will finish in the top half of the league. Long Reach 28 Mt. Hebron 7

Howard @ Reservoir

Howard is the best team in the league and the scrimmages have done nothing but solidify that. Good coaching staff and lots of talent. Reservoir graduated some big pieces from last year, but do return some talent. Their big TE is their best player I think. I don't think Reservoir can hang with Howard this year. Howard 35 Reservoir 7

Marriotts Ridge @ Atholton

Lots of returning players and a new good coach at Atholton makes them a player in the league and my favorite to win the region. Marriotts Ridge has made big strides the past few years, and will look to continue growing their program. I think this is a tough first game for the Mustangs. They will have a solid year, but I have Atholton winning this game 28-14

Oakland Mills @ Glenelg

Big time tradition and big time rival schools. Oakland Mills graduated the most talent from last year. Young QB Gibson had a great 2nd half last year and will look to lead to squad this year. Glenelg is always strong and always well coached. Young RB Owens will the main focus of the Glenelg ground attack. This is a tough one, but Glenelg at home is tough to pick against. I have Glenelg winning 28-21 

Couple days away from the season offically starting. Week 1 schedule (and my predictions)

River Hill @ Wilde Lake

I think both of these traditional powers will be tier 2 teams this year fighting for the last playoff spot. This is a big game for bonus points. I think River Hill sneaks by with a 21-14 win.

Centennial @ Hammond

Both teams will be trying to stay out of the basement this year. I think Hammond has just some more speed. Centennial only has 25 players on their roster. Thats so unthinkable this time and age, but that will be a problem for this team moving forward. I think this is close, but Hammond pulls it out 14-0

Long Reach @ Mt. Hebron

Long Reach is a little bit of a sleeper team with maybe the best QB in the league. Plus a really strong JV team from last year. Hebron also had a strong JV team from last year, but still have too many question marks and it seems unlikely they will finish in the top half of the league. Long Reach 28 Mt. Hebron 7

Howard @ Reservoir

Howard is the best team in the league and the scrimmages have done nothing but solidify that. Good coaching staff and lots of talent. Reservoir graduated some big pieces from last year, but do return some talent. Their big TE is their best player I think. I don't think Reservoir can hang with Howard this year. Howard 35 Reservoir 7

Marriotts Ridge @ Atholton

Lots of returning players and a new good coach at Atholton makes them a player in the league and my favorite to win the region. Marriotts Ridge has made big strides the past few years, and will look to continue growing their program. I think this is a tough first game for the Mustangs. They will have a solid year, but I have Atholton winning this game 28-14

Oakland Mills @ Glenelg

Big time tradition and big time rival schools. Oakland Mills graduated the most talent from last year. Young QB Gibson had a great 2nd half last year and will look to lead to squad this year. Glenelg is always strong and always well coached. Young RB Owens will the main focus of the Glenelg ground attack. This is a tough one, but Glenelg at home is tough to pick against. I have Glenelg winning 28-21 

"Centennial only has 25 players on their roster."

Wow...seriously?!?! Not that I'm doubting GDEF, but this is really unfortunate they can't get more than 25 kids to come out for football. Am curious as to whether overall numbers at lots of schools are down (because of the concussion fears?)...I'm assuming schools are taking a hit (no pun intended) because of this with their participation numbers.