Hoco League Champ   26 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the title this year?

• Howard
    • Oakland Mills
    • Atholton
    • Glenelg
    • Wilde Lake
    • Other

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

529 posts in this topic

Looks like I'm the one eating crow.

No Roarmd28, no crow need to be ate. You had EVERY good reason to believe Centennial would lose that game.  But that game in general was a toss up. Now I saw both Centennial and Hammond JV squad play the past couple of year sand I though Centennial was more competitive.  Add the Hammond coaching change, meaning new offense and defensive schemes and this is why I selected Centennial. But there's a decent chance, like Mamba stated earlier, both teams plus Mt Hebron will have issues beating other teams, except against one another.

Week 1

River Hill 17 @ Wilde Lake 13

Centennial 30 @ Hammond 21

Long Reach 33@ Mt. Hebron 0

Howard 28 @ Reservoir 7

Marriotts Ridge 10 @ Atholton 21

Oakland Mills 7 @ Glenelg 29

River hill over  Wild Lake is a SHOCKER....So is Atholton.... I would have thought they win by 30.....Either OM really fell off or Glenelg is a beats....what gives

Wilde Lake is considerably more talented than River Hill, so them losing is very surprising. River Hill was more sound and more aggressive. Hats off to them and their coaches for getting them ready. 

Atholton is one of the better teams in the league, and they played like it. They have some athletes. 

OM is down. Graduation crushed them. Glenelg is good, but I think this is more of a match up thing. OM didn't have the size to stop the ground game of Glenelg. 

Mt. Hebron at Centennial

Local rivals that do not like each other. Hebron got smoked last week. This is going to be a long year for the Vikings. Centennial ended their 20 something game losing streak. Very happy for those kids, and coaches. I have them starting a new streak.......2-0 Eagles 21 Vikings 14

Hammond at Marriotts Ridge

Hammond......not a way to start a new coaches era. Hammond has some work to do if they want to avoid being everyones homecoming game next year. Marriotts Ridge battled a very good team last week. This is a solid team that will be tough for everyone week in and week out. I think this game is a blow out Mustangs 28 Golden Bears 0

Glenelg at River Hill

River Hill played an unsound team last week and took advantage of turnovers and great field position. BTW River Hill Kicker is a stud. Glenelg had a statement win against a team that was a power the last couple of years. This game is always entertaining and River Hill usually comes up with some magic at the end of the game to pull it out against Glenelg. I do not think that happens this year. Gladiators 21 Hawks 14

Wilde Lake at Howard

Wilde Lake needed to win that River Hill Game. Starting 0-2 is almost a death sentence for making the playoffs. The team still has athletes, but they are behind the 8 ball. They will need to play a perfect game against Howard to even keep it close. Howard won convincingly on the road, and actually didn't get a ton of consistent production from the offense. Howard still has room to grow, which is scary for the rest of the league. Home opener for the Howard too, expect a big turnout from their awesome student section. Lions 35 Wilde Cats 0

Reservoir at Oakland Mills

Reservoir has some things in their favor even though Howard had a big win against them last week. The Reservoir defense was solid for most of the game holding the running game in check. Reservoir has a pretty good D line. The need to get their Big TE more involved in the future though. Oakland Mills is not the same team from the past couple of years. QB seems solid, but talent around him has dropped. I do not see Oakland Mills making the playoffs this year. I do see the Gators rebounding like last year. Gators 21 Scorpions 7 

Atholton at Long Reach

Toughest game to call. Is Long Reach a player, or did they just play the worst team in the league? This will be the test for Long Reach. They seem to have some offensive weapons to go along with a talented QB. This will be the make or break game for Long Reach. Atholton out played a quality team last week. They have some talented players, and an aggressive defense. Not a big team, but certainly aggressive. This is a coin flip game for me, but I had Atholton as a contender this year so for now I am sticking to my guns. Atholton 28 Long Reach 21

Thanks for the info from last week.  Howard was a solid team.  Not huge or exceptionally fast but above avg in about everything.  Good game for the first half but after the first score of the second half I never really doubted that Howard was going to win.  DL/LB played well for Howard, never let Reservoir break anything to get a drive going.  I will have to follow your posts all year to see how things play out.

River hill over  Wild Lake is a SHOCKER....So is Atholton.... I would have thought they win by 30.....Either OM really fell off or Glenelg is a beats....what gives

River Hill over Wilde Lake - EHHHHH....that shouldn't be a surprise.  River Hill is not the Championship-River-Hill, but if you allow them to stay close they will find a way to win.  You must jump on top of them and force them to throw the ball.

Atholton vs Marriotts Ridge -  The past 2 years Marriotts Ridge was 4th (2014) and 1st (2015) in points allowed. So this shouldn't be a surprise.  I think again Marriotts Ridge win 7 games.

Oakland Mills/Glenelg - I only watched a few plays when Oakland Mills scrimmaged at Howard High School, so I'm not sure how good or bad they are.  They did lose 2 1st Team All County WRs along with HoCo OPOY QB/WR Tre Hopkins.  Even though they have a pretty good young QB he might don't have enough weapons to put up the points they are used to doing in the past couple of years. Roster depth might be an issue as well.  But I don't have a clue.   But I do know they past couple of years Glenelg run a power rushing offense, which has been led by 2-300lb D-1 OLs.  They usually pound you to death which wears down defenses in Howard County.  So again, you must treat them like River Hill, you must get way ahead to force them to throw which is something they are not good at.  I think the lack of depth caught up with Oakland Mills this game.

Sorry guys. I've been recovering from brain surgery. Fortunately I took a lot of notes before Dr Carson removed half of my brain. I had WL as the team to beat given the fact that it might take H 2 years to recover from the woopin Wise put on them last fall. Looking forward to the Confederate Flag Bowl. RH and G always beat each other up. Let's see what RH's got this year.

Welcome back. The confederate flag bowl is always a crazy game. If River Hill pulls this one out they are a player in the region for sure. 

Yea, Wise is the new 4 letter word in the Elkridge/Ellicott City area. Looking at 4a it might be the exact same scenario this year the blood bath though will be in Annapolis instead of Baltimore. 

Welcome back Oil Can!

Not sure if I would now trust Dr Carson to touch my head. He ate a bad crab cake and actually thought he could become the POTUS.  Well I hope you are ok my friend....

That beatdown that Howard received from Wise was pretty bad.  But I listened to a pre-season interview from Howard and they stated they basically forgot about that game and actually don't talk about it.  I was a little disappointed to hear that, because that championship week to include the game itself was filled with learning lessons that should have carried over through-out the off-season, serving as "octane booster" for the 2016 season.  Maybe Howard is playing "possum" in the media, but I guess we shall see when playoff time rolls around Oily.  But back to Wilde Lake, they couldn't beat a talent-less River Hill squad AT WILDE LAKE.  I am not sure if they can put up a good fight for 4 qtrs at Howard...unless Howard is still working out some things with their offense.

River Hill and Glenelg....MAN I WISH I could go to this game!  I just GOTTA see what Jedi-Mind-Trick River Hill puts on Glenelg during the regular season.  Again, this Glenelg team is much better than River Hill.  But I have learned my lesson when it comes to River Hill.  They truly believe they will beat EVERYBODY in HoCo.  And the sad thing is EVERYBODY in the county pretty much believes it as well.  So right now I have my money on River Hill.

MDSOCCER,

Man...I was waiting for your Pre-season All County Football team......you left us hanging!  :P

Welcome back Oil Can!

Not sure if I would now trust Dr Carson to touch my head. He ate a bad crab cake and actually

thought he could become the POTUS. Well I hope you are ok my friend....

That beatdown that Howard received from Wise was pretty bad. But I listened to a pre-season interview from Howard and they stated they basically forgot about that game and actually don't talk about it. I was a little disappointed to hear that, because that championship week to include the game itself was filled with learning lessons that should have carried over through-out the off-season, serving as "octane booster" for the 2016 season. Maybe Howard is playing "possum" in the media, but I guess we shall see when playoff time rolls around Oily. But back to Wilde Lake, they couldn't beat a talent-less River Hill squad AT WILDE LAKE. I am not sure if they can put up a good fight for 4 qtrs at Howard...unless Howard is still working out some things with their offense.

River Hill and Glenelg....MAN I WISH I could go to this game! I just GOTTA see what Jedi-Mind-Trick River Hill puts on Glenelg during the regular season. Again, this Glenelg team is much better than River Hill. But I have learned my lesson when it comes to River Hill. They truly believe they will beat EVERYBODY in HoCo. And the sad thing is EVERYBODY in the county pretty much believes it as well. So right now I have my money on River Hill.

Dr Carson told me he posts on this message board. He said he is a flame thrower. He told me his handle but I guess I stored it in the section he removed. I'm guessing now that he might be Meth or maybe AO. He said he's pretty certain that everyone who posts on here has had @ least 2 concussions and some a lot more. I think we know who the posters are w a lot more than 2. I don't think I need to call them out.

Dr Carson told me he posts on this message board. He said he is a flame thrower. He told me his handle but I guess I stored it in the section he removed. I'm guessing now that he might be Meth or maybe AO. He said he's pretty certain that everyone who posts on here has had @ least 2 concussions and some a lot more. I think we know who the posters are w a lot more than 2. I don't think I need to call them out.

That's funny. He's not Meth or AO because I know them. Hope you get better.

MDSOCCER,

Man...I was waiting for your Pre-season All County Football team......you left us hanging!  :P

Yea, I dropped the ball this year. I was working on one last week, but never got around to finishing it. 

That would be a lot of fun though if you did. 

Yea, I dropped the ball this year. I was working on one last week, but never got around to finishing it. 

It's ok MDSOCCER...it is all good my friend.

Mt. Hebron at Centennial - Centennial:  Okay, I was wrong about them last week so I'll pick them to win this week since they are playing another fairly weak team.  Whomever said that Hammond, Centennial and Hebrons only wins would likely be against each other is probably spot on.

Hammond at Marriotts Ridge - Marriotts Ridge: I can't believe the Mustangs would struggle this year more than Centennial and the Bears lost to the Eagles last week.

Glenelg at River Hill - Glenelg: Despite the Jedi-mind tricks that ShoNuff supports (and there may just be something to that actually!) I'll pick the Gladiators to prevail in a close one this year, although I may be wishing Saturday that I had used the Force!

Wilde Lake at Howard - Howard: As the in-the-know folks in HoCo say, they are certainly the team to beat again and I don't see the Cats coming close.

Reservoir at Oakland Mills - Reservoir: I think OM has lost too much talent to be able to beat what I think is a pretty solid Gator team.

Atholton at Long Reach - Long Reach: This might be the HoCO game of the week (although most would probably say its the G-RH game).  These two seem to be the up and comers in the county this year.  I'll pick the Lightning to pull the, perhaps minor?, upset.

Edited by roarmd28

Mt. Hebron at Centennial - Centennial: This season Mt Hebron doesn't look good again.  Plus they are flip-flopping QBs....again.  I think Centennial wins another close one.

Hammond at Marriotts Ridge - Marriotts Ridge: Marriots Ridge will bounce back and win this game, probably with a shutout.

Glenelg at River Hill - River Hill: I TRULY believe Glenelg is the much better team.  I think Glenelg SHOULD WIN.  But this is a rivalry game and during the past 4 regular season games River Hill has found a way in the 4th qtr to win.  I am not from Missouri, but Glenelg just gotta "Show Me" they can break that River Hill Jedi-mind tricks!

Wilde Lake at Howard - Howard:  It wouldn't surprise me if Howard starts off slow again. I just don't believe the team in general quite have "that dog in them", But even with that I don't believe Wilde Lake will come close.  Probably another 28-0/28-7 game.

Reservoir at Oakland Mills - Oakland Mills: I know Oakland Mills was hit hard with graduation, but I am only guessing they will play much better this time at home.  In a close one as well.

Atholton at Long Reach - Atholton: I agree with Roarmd28 - this just might be the county's Game of the Week. This is a hard one to pick, mainly because I am not sure Long Reach's win over Mt Hebron was because of who they played or them finally playing to their actual talent.  I will use that Missouri phrase for this game as well...Long Reach gotta "Show Me".

Predictions for games this weekend:

Centennial 21 Hebron 3 -- Centennial is improving and just might make it back to the competitive team it had three years ago when they had 7 wins, but not this year.  Hebron just is not a football school ever...  

Marriotts Ridge 42 Hammond 0 -- The running clock will probably start once the 2nd quarter is over.

Glenelg 35 River Hill 6 -- RH gets two field goals.  Do not expect the game to be close after the first series.  Glenelg is just to big and I do not like RH (ever). 

Reservoir 28 at Oakland Mills 21 -- should be a good game that goes to overtime with the bigger team grinding it out. Could be a game where OM gets a lead and Reservoir ties it up.  Just hope Reservoir can hold on to the football -- last year OM's big lineman ran a fumble back for the winning TD.

Atholton 27 Long Reach 28 -- this should be a great offensive game. LR's defense might just show up enough to win.

Wilde Lake 14 Howard 35 -- Howard is just to big for WL and as fast as anyone WL puts in space.   

Edited by badschools