Hoco League Champ   26 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the title this year?

• Howard
    • Oakland Mills
    • Atholton
    • Glenelg
    • Wilde Lake
    • Other

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

529 posts in this topic

Gladiators put up running clock at River Hill with 11:46 to go, 42-7. Pete Rose ain't walking through that door. Cesar Geronimo either.

No Jedi mind tricks tonight, just big boy football. Glenelg 49 The artists formely known as River Hill 7.

Resi 28 OM 21 H

Wow this is what I thought the the entire game would be ... let the players play and see who scores last. Best game going tonight.

Long Reach goes up on Atholton, 19-17, 3:53 3.

#HOCOFOOTBALL has a video of the score -- on the play LR #73 OL guy blatantly tackles the Raiders #54 right in front of the refs but no call -- TOO FUNNY.

#HOCOFOOTBALL has a video of the score -- on the play LR #73 OL guy blatantly tackles the Raiders #54 right in front of the refs but no call -- TOO FUNNY.

I got to take a look at it.

I know LR went up 25-20, with 4 to go.

OM 34 Resi 28 F

I was wrong on the outcome. But I'm proud of the Scorpions winning a big game.  Looks like OM's defense got stout after the half.

Week 2

Mt. Hebron 21 at Centennial 14

Hammond 0 at Marriotts Ridge 28

Glenelg 49 at River Hill 7

Wilde Lake 6 at Howard 34

Reservoir 28 at Oakland Mills 34

Atholton 20 at Long Reach 25

Edited by ShoNuff07

Well well well....BOTH Glenelg and Long Reach are making eat crow!  But congrats to them both for big wins.  I guess Long Reach is officially in the race for the County Championship.

As expected, the Elgard Bowl looks as though it will be the best game of the year in the county, week 9, October 28th, in Glenelg country.

Last night, the Gladiators opened up a 14 point halftime lead to a 28-0 lead by taking the kickoff back following intermission, then taking a 67 yard interception return back as soon as the Hawks touched the ball in the third quarter. The Hawks had won 14 of the 15 previous meetings.

Wande Owens, the freshman back who opened eyes last year replacing the area's leading rusher Trey Davis in the Gladiators playoff game at Chesapeake, continued his success. In his first varsity game, Owens ran for 208 yards on 28 carries, with 3 TD's in the Gladiators rout.

Last night, Owens rushed for 182 yards on a paltry 13 carries, scoring 2 times. With a kickoff return and a pick 6, the Gladiators offense wasn't needed as much last night, but the Glads still managed 254 rushing yards on River Hill, with a running clock.

Meanwhile, the Lions continue to lead the HoCo pack, winning their 26th consecutive league game. The Lions defense has allowed 2 touchdowns through 2 games, both in garbage time - Resi scored as the clock expired last week, Wilde Lake scored with 4 to go last night, after trailing by 34.

The Lions Bryson Craven opened up the game with a 95 yard kickoff return. The D scored as well, with a fumble recovery. The Lions 9 touchdowns this season have been scored by 7 different players. Junior quarterback Robby Porter has 4 TD passes.

The Elgard trophy went missing for more than 40 years until a new one was commisioned in '07 in honor of the 50th meeting between HoCo's two oldest schools.

Since that '07 meeting, the Gladiators have posessed the trophy 5 times, the Lions, four, including winning the laat 2.

Edited by themamba

The Confederate Flag is heading back home to Glenelg. They wanted it pretty bad. Unfortunately for RH, G plays a lot harder for the flag than they do for the Elgard. It looked like the same flag that was confiscated a few years ago but it could have been dry cleaned or something. We will have to wait for La Bamba to research it and get back to us. If I didn't know better I might have thought G was playing BYU. There have been a lot of scores like that on the RH scoreboard but not on the same sides. Given the diminished stature of the Elgard I'm putting my money on H. The only time G puts the ball in the air is after they run across the goal line with it (RH fans saw it quite a bit). They will have to do more than pound the ball to beat the likes of H and Dmass.

Kind of early for rankings (really it's better to wait for more "data points"), but hey, what the heck....

My fwiw HoCo rankings after just two weeks...

1, Howard  2-0  There can be no argument here.  Looking like the Elgard game might be a good one this year.

2. Glenelg 2-0  I know this ain't your Daddy's RH squad but sheeesh....49-7!!

3. Long Reach  2-0 Gotta put them here for now.  Good win for the Lightning in a game between what seems to be the consensus HoCo up and comers.

4. Oakland Mills 1-1 Have them below the Lightning at least for now...the two meet in two weeks.

5. Atholton 1-1  Tough loss last week.  They should be able to win at least 4 of their next 6 and possibly more.

6. Reservoir 0-2 Tough schedule out of the gate.

7. River Hill 1-1  Did I mention I can't get over how lopsided their loss was last week.

8. Marriotts Ridge 1-1 Jury's still out.  They beat Hammond but I suspect everyone will. 

9.  Wilde Lake 0-2 I don't see many wins on the schedule for the Cats this season. They still have to play Glenelg, Atholton, Reservoir, Marriotts Ridge and Oakland Mills.

10. Mt Hebron 1-1 The bottom 3 seem pretty obvious to me so since Hebron beat Centennial who beat Hammond then that'll be the order.

11. Centennial  1-1 May have already secured their only win of the year in their first game.

12. Hammond 0-2  If the Bears beat the Vikings then I'm going to be in a quandary as to how to rank the bottom 3!

Roarmd28

Maybe a little early for rankings, but it looks fairly accurate in my opinion.

Week 3

Centennial at Oakland Mills - Centennial is still no match for Oakland Mills, no matter how much graduation has hurt them.  OM wins by 5 scores

Wilde Lake at Glenelg - Glenelg is on a roll, will win this game with ease. Glenelg by 4 scores

Mt Hebron at Hammond - As I stated earlier, past bad 2 JV seasons plus new coach installing new schemes equal very long season for Hammon.  Mt Hebron by 2 score

Long Reach at Marriotts Ridge - Marriotts Ridge will slow Long Reach down with their pretty good defense, but they are unable to put up enough points to win.  Long Reach by 2 scores

Howard at River Hill - For the 3rd straight year Howard will make this game more difficult than it should, only pulling away in the 4th qtr. Howard by 3 scores

Reservoir at Atholton -  This is a toss-up.  Hard to see a pretty decent Reservoir team go down 0-3, but I am giving Atholton the edge because they are home. Atholton by 2 scores

Edited by ShoNuff07

Week 3

Centennial at Oakland Mills - Centennial is still no match for Oakland Mills, no matter how much graduation has hurt them.  OM wins by 5 scores

Wilde Lake at Glenelg - Glenelg is on a roll, will win this game with ease. Glenelg by 4 scores

Mt Hebron at Hammond - As I stated earlier, past bad 2 JV seasons plus new coach installing new schemes equal very long season for Hammon.  Mt Hebron by 2 score

Long Reach at Marriotts Ridge - Marriotts Ridge will slow Long Reach down with their pretty good defense, but they are unable to put up enough points to win.  Long Reach by 2 scores

Howard at River Hill - For the 3rd straight year Howard will make this game more difficult than it should, only pulling away in the 4th qtr. Howard by 3 scores

Reservoir at Atholton -  This is a toss-up.  Hard to see a pretty decent Reservoir team go down 0-3, but I am giving Atholton the edge because they are home. Atholton by 2 scores

I agree with all of these (including the comments) but just to be different...I'll take Reservoir to beat Atholton by 6 poinnts.

RH is working frantically on their scoreboard. It worked great for 15 years but now they are having trouble getting the big numbers on the home side. They think it got hacked by the Russians. They're hoping they can get it fixed for tonight's game. I'll keep you posted.

Week 3

The Scorpions sting the Eagles for a blow out win.

The Gladiators tame the Wilde Cats in glorious fashion

The Vikings slay the Golden Bears in a close battle 

The Lighting shock the Mustangs from the start

The Lions tear up the Hawks...feathers everywhere

The Raiders hunt the Gators, Captain Hook style (everyone keeps their hands though)