Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Howard County Football 2016

• Please log in to reply
515 replies to this topic

Poll: Hoco League Champ (26 member(s) have cast votes)

Who wins the title this year?

1. Howard (21 votes [80.77%])

Percentage of vote: 80.77%

2. Oakland Mills (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Atholton (1 votes [3.85%])

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

4. Glenelg (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Wilde Lake (1 votes [3.85%])

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

6. Other (3 votes [11.54%])

Percentage of vote: 11.54%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 city40blast

city40blast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:39 PM

Can't afford the qb to get beat up so maybe a couple carries a game.

Edited by city40blast, 26 August 2016 - 09:39 PM.

#22 85Knight

85Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 11:37 PM

City40Blast and 85Knight,

Did you guys attend the scrimmage? I personally thought City played better than whatever the scoreboard may have. I thought City was hurt by a couple of mistake in handling the football. I thought the running game was pretty good especially with the QB able to run some keepers. He has a strong arm and threw some nice passes. They probably will play better than what others are predicting this season.

Unfortunately I got there late and missed City's 1st team offense. I did see Howard's passing game look really good against City's defense and that running back had some great moves. I'm glad to hear that City's 1st string offense had some success because their 2nd team didn't look very good. So it went pretty much as expected out there in the heat. Howard will be tough as expected and City will be better but will struggle with depth.

#23 ShoNuff07

ShoNuff07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:29 PM

Team's Pre-season overview

Glenelg
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/howard/sports/ph-hs-fall-practices-glenelg-football-video-20160811-premiumvideo.html

Reservoir:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/howard/sports/ph-hs-fall-practices-reservoir-football-video-20160810-premiumvideo.html

Howard:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/howard/sports/ph-hs-fall-practices-howard-football-video-20160810-premiumvideo.html

Wilde Lake:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/howard/sports/ph-hs-fall-practices-wilde-lake-football-video-20160812-premiumvideo.html

Marriots Ridge

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/howard/sports/ph-hs-fall-practices-marriotts-ridge-football-video-20160817-premiumvideo.html

Atholton
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/howard/sports/ph-hs-fall-practices-atholton-football-video-20160819-premiumvideo.html

Oakland Mills

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/howard/sports/ph-hs-fall-practices-oakland-mills-football-video-20160824-premiumvideo.html

River Hill

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/howard/sports/ph-hs-fall-practices-river-hill-football-video-20160825-premiumvideo.html

Edited by ShoNuff07, 01 September 2016 - 09:33 AM.

#24 GDEF

GDEF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:07 AM

Couple days away from the season offically starting. Week 1 schedule (and my predictions)

River Hill @ Wilde Lake

I think both of these traditional powers will be tier 2 teams this year fighting for the last playoff spot. This is a big game for bonus points. I think River Hill sneaks by with a 21-14 win.

Centennial @ Hammond

Both teams will be trying to stay out of the basement this year. I think Hammond has just some more speed. Centennial only has 25 players on their roster. Thats so unthinkable this time and age, but that will be a problem for this team moving forward. I think this is close, but Hammond pulls it out 14-0

Long Reach @ Mt. Hebron

Long Reach is a little bit of a sleeper team with maybe the best QB in the league. Plus a really strong JV team from last year. Hebron also had a strong JV team from last year, but still have too many question marks and it seems unlikely they will finish in the top half of the league. Long Reach 28 Mt. Hebron 7

Howard @ Reservoir

Howard is the best team in the league and the scrimmages have done nothing but solidify that. Good coaching staff and lots of talent. Reservoir graduated some big pieces from last year, but do return some talent. Their big TE is their best player I think. I don't think Reservoir can hang with Howard this year. Howard 35 Reservoir 7

Marriotts Ridge @ Atholton

Lots of returning players and a new good coach at Atholton makes them a player in the league and my favorite to win the region. Marriotts Ridge has made big strides the past few years, and will look to continue growing their program. I think this is a tough first game for the Mustangs. They will have a solid year, but I have Atholton winning this game 28-14

Oakland Mills @ Glenelg

Big time tradition and big time rival schools. Oakland Mills graduated the most talent from last year. Young QB Gibson had a great 2nd half last year and will look to lead to squad this year. Glenelg is always strong and always well coached. Young RB Owens will the main focus of the Glenelg ground attack. This is a tough one, but Glenelg at home is tough to pick against. I have Glenelg winning 28-21 

#25 roarmd28

roarmd28

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:51 AM

Couple days away from the season offically starting. Week 1 schedule (and my predictions)

River Hill @ Wilde Lake

I think both of these traditional powers will be tier 2 teams this year fighting for the last playoff spot. This is a big game for bonus points. I think River Hill sneaks by with a 21-14 win.

Centennial @ Hammond

Both teams will be trying to stay out of the basement this year. I think Hammond has just some more speed. Centennial only has 25 players on their roster. Thats so unthinkable this time and age, but that will be a problem for this team moving forward. I think this is close, but Hammond pulls it out 14-0

Long Reach @ Mt. Hebron

Long Reach is a little bit of a sleeper team with maybe the best QB in the league. Plus a really strong JV team from last year. Hebron also had a strong JV team from last year, but still have too many question marks and it seems unlikely they will finish in the top half of the league. Long Reach 28 Mt. Hebron 7

Howard @ Reservoir

Howard is the best team in the league and the scrimmages have done nothing but solidify that. Good coaching staff and lots of talent. Reservoir graduated some big pieces from last year, but do return some talent. Their big TE is their best player I think. I don't think Reservoir can hang with Howard this year. Howard 35 Reservoir 7

Lots of returning players and a new good coach at Atholton makes them a player in the league and my favorite to win the region. Marriotts Ridge has made big strides the past few years, and will look to continue growing their program. I think this is a tough first game for the Mustangs. They will have a solid year, but I have Atholton winning this game 28-14

Oakland Mills @ Glenelg

Big time tradition and big time rival schools. Oakland Mills graduated the most talent from last year. Young QB Gibson had a great 2nd half last year and will look to lead to squad this year. Glenelg is always strong and always well coached. Young RB Owens will the main focus of the Glenelg ground attack. This is a tough one, but Glenelg at home is tough to pick against. I have Glenelg winning 28-21 

"Centennial only has 25 players on their roster."

Wow...seriously?!?! Not that I'm doubting GDEF, but this is really unfortunate they can't get more than 25 kids to come out for football. Am curious as to whether overall numbers at lots of schools are down (because of the concussion fears?)...I'm assuming schools are taking a hit (no pun intended) because of this with their participation numbers.

#26 OLINE

OLINE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:06 PM

Wow...seriously?!?! Not that I'm doubting GDEF, but this is really unfortunate they can't get more than 25 kids to come out for football. Am curious as to whether overall numbers at lots of schools are down (because of the concussion fears?)...I'm assuming schools are taking a hit (no pun intended) because of this with their participation numbers.

Not winning a game in 2 years will affect turnout a little bit. Howard has over 60 kids on their varsity rosters so numbers are def not low there. Again that is probably a product of the programs success. 

#27 Stoneman

Stoneman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:53 PM

and River Hill only has 29 on Varsity...

#28 ShoNuff07

ShoNuff07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:34 AM

Familiar programs chasing Howard in 2016 Howard County football season

http://www.baltimore...0831-story.html

Edited by ShoNuff07, 01 September 2016 - 09:34 AM.

#29 ShoNuff07

ShoNuff07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:42 AM

and River Hill only has 29 on Varsity...

I want to say River Hill came to Howard last year with the same amount of players and actually played Howard fairly close until a 4th Qtr long TD run by Malik Anderson to kill any realistic hope.

Edited by ShoNuff07, 01 September 2016 - 09:43 AM.

#30 ShoNuff07

ShoNuff07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:35 PM

River Hill @ Wilde Lake

Centennial @ Hammond

Long Reach @ Mt. Hebron

Howard @ Reservoir

Oakland Mills @ Glenelg

#31 roarmd28

roarmd28

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:37 AM

River Hill @ Wilde Lake

Centennial @ Hammond

Long Reach @ Mt. Hebron

Howard @ Reservoir

Oakland Mills @ Glenelg

Agree except I'll take Hammond over the Eagles

#32 NewtoHOCO

NewtoHOCO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:31 AM

Hi gentlemen.  Obviously by my handle Ive just moved to Hoco from PA and would like to catch a game tonight.  Which is the best match-up?  Location isnt much of an option but I am East of 29.

thanks

#33 GDEF

GDEF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:48 AM

Hi gentlemen.  Obviously by my handle Ive just moved to Hoco from PA and would like to catch a game tonight.  Which is the best match-up?  Location isnt much of an option but I am East of 29.

thanks

Howard v Rezzi. Both teams are top 5 returning teams in the league, with Howard probably the best team in the league this year. 

Good football in your part of PA?

#34 ShoNuff07

ShoNuff07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:02 PM

thanks

Howard v Rezzi. Both teams are top 5 returning teams in the league, with Howard probably the best team in the league this year. 

While I think that's a pretty good game, I think the best game to catch is the Oakland Mills/Glenelg game.  I believe that game will be a very close matchup.

#35 ShoNuff07

ShoNuff07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:11 PM

Agree except I'll take Hammond over the Eagles

I been going back and forth on this one since Centennial has a fairly "lean" roster.  Just going to stick with my gut on this one and say Centennial .  I will eat crow if needed later....

#36 NewtoHOCO

NewtoHOCO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:53 PM

Pittsburgh Area, so for the most part, yes.  School are so much bigger here, and it seems from reading that publics dont play the privates here.  PA has them in the same conferences.  With over 700 HS and finally went to 6A this year so Im not sure who is in what class up there anymore but Aliquippa, Clairton are small schools that could hang with almost anyone.  

Any big time recruits I should watch for?

thanks for the info?

#37 ShoNuff07

ShoNuff07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:32 PM

Pittsburgh Area, so for the most part, yes.  School are so much bigger here, and it seems from reading that publics dont play the privates here.  PA has them in the same conferences.  With over 700 HS and finally went to 6A this year so Im not sure who is in what class up there anymore but Aliquippa, Clairton are small schools that could hang with almost anyone.  

Any big time recruits I should watch for?

thanks for the info?

In the Reservoir/Howard game top recruits are Reservoir's TE/DE Mason Baker (Towson University offer) and Howard's WR/DB Bryson Craven (Monmouth University offer). 

In the Glenelg/Oakland Mills game as of now the top recruit is Glenelg's OL Dakota Davis has 15+ D-1 offers but has verbally committed to Syracuse University.  Oakland Mills QB Aaron Gibson moved up to varsity half-way into last season and managed to throw for over 1000yds.  Not sure who is looking at him at this time but he's ranked in Maryland Varsity Rivals Top 40 players in the Class of 2018.

#38 ECF

ECF

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 05:43 PM

Long Reach - 33
Mt.Hebron - 00
Final

#39 Stoneman

Stoneman

• Members