Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pitbull

Game 146: no sac flies by Trumbo.

29 posts in this topic

Seriously? The top homerun hitter has no sac flies?

Why does this team not play small ball? Anyone?

Pathetic. Lets two hittable pitches go by him and then swings at garbage like that.

Horrible.

oops...meant to put this in the game thread.

Edited by Gizmo

I think that generally requires a smart approach and bat control.

Edited by Mr. Buzzcut

Hardy and Bourn both grounded to the right side in the 8th to get the 5th and 6th runs in.  Small ball just for you.

Hardy and Bourn both grounded to the right side in the 8th to get the 5th and 6th runs in. Small ball just for you.

It's too bad they don't do that more often. Even though we gave up 7 runs we should have scored 10. Very frustrating.

Game on the line and your 4 and 5 hitters can't even put the ball in play. Sad.

Edited by 85Knight

It's too bad they don't do that more often. Even though we gave up 7 runs we should have scored 10. Very frustrating.

Game on the line and your 4 and 5 hitters can't even put the ball in play. Sad.

They don't care about strikeouts.  Least of their worries. 

Because they basically don't care.  

Trumbo only has 16 sacrifice flies over a seven-year career.

Holy crap, that is awful. How is that even possible?

I have said this 20 times already, but if Christian Walker were here, he could have PH for Flaherty last night and if you have Borbon or Yaz or Avery, you would have another defensive OFer. Buck doesn't like too many bodies in the clubhouse but we potentially are losing games because of this stubbornness. Recall as many players as you need to get into the playoffs!!!

The mantra on this team is all or nothing. It really riles me that when the O's have the bases full and the first thing that comes out of the announcers' mouth or what appears on the bottom of the screen is how many grand slams the batter has.  Reimold, Flaherty, Joseph aren't hitting their weight yet up comes the home run fanaticism   How many games would have been won with just a decent fly ball or a bloop single?

Last night cried out for a squeeze to get that run home.  Instead, we leave the two guys most likely to strikeout up there to do the expected.  Showalter simply can't think outside the box.  He showed that in spades in the 2014 ALCS.

Kim could have pinch hit for Trumbo, whose approach was ridiculous.

I think he swung and missed at a couple low and away?

What about those pitches says "fly ball to the outfield"?

I have a major issue with how little Buck has utilized Kim in the past few weeks.

But I suppose that's the fault of Duquette as well.

Kim could have pinch hit for Trumbo, whose approach was ridiculous.

I think he swung and missed at a couple low and away?

What about those pitches says "fly ball to the outfield"?

Trumbo is a sucker for the low outside pitch.  He couldn't hit it if he used a barn door.  Just the same as Davis is for a low inside ball, he swings and either tops it or misses it completely or you can throw one down the middle of the plate and he 'll look at it.  Schoop, anything above the letters and Jones anything that bounces 2 feet in front of the plate.  According to Hunter and Thorne the O's have never looked better in staying away from swinging at bad pitches. 

Trumbo is a sucker for the low outside pitch.  He couldn't hit it if he used a barn door.  Just the same as Davis is for a low inside ball, he swings and either tops it or misses it completely or you can throw one down the middle of the plate and he 'll look at it.  Schoop, anything above the letters and Jones anything that bounces 2 feet in front of the plate.  According to Hunter and Thorne the O's have never looked better in staying away from swinging at bad pitches. 

I would never throw Jones a fastball.

Why would you?

Why would you?

Never would and any pitcher that does should be sent to the rookie league along with the coach and manager.  All the O's look foolish hacking away at a curve or anything off speed.

Why would you?

I've been saying that for years.  He'd get nothing but breaking balls out of the strike zone from me and if he wanted to walk, so be it.  Fortunately for me the pitcher, he isn't going to walk and would eventually start hacking away, go 0-4 and make a fool out of himself.  But for whatever reason, pitchers still challenge him.  Good for the Orioles...good for Jones. 

If pitchers actually never threw Jones a fastball and never even threw him a strike, he'd end up leading the league in OBP.

If pitchers actually never threw Jones a fastball and never even threw him a strike, he'd end up leading the league in OBP.

I doubt it.  If the pitcher had good enough control and threw balls 6" to a foot outside, Jones would be swinging.  If he had 2 strikes on him and he threw it in the dirt, Jones would be swinging.  Sure, he'd walk more than he currently does but don't expect a huge upswing in the base on balls department.  Jones is there for one reason- to swing.  If he gets a hit, great, if not, oh well. He'd wind up hitting about .220-.230 with about 150 strikeouts. 

I think He would be among the leaders in OBP if this approach was employed against him. 

While it seems that most of Jones' strikeouts occur on that slider away, I think that He has shown more patience in laying off of those

types of pitches early in the count. Besides, the pitch that most pitchers ( even those in MLB)  have the best command of is the fastball.

If Jones saw exclusively breaking pitches his walk rate would soar, and He would absolutely crush  the breaking pitches that hung. ( Most

pitchers don't have the command of the breaking pitch to throw it for strikes, particularly when they are down in the count.

I am not concerned about Trumbo not having any sacrifice flies at this point. It's an unusual stat, but so is Joseph not having an RBI 

at this point in the season. ( This is a strong offensive team.) The AL leader in  sac flies is Francisco Lindor with 12. He also has has 14

HR's and 70 RBI's/ In comparison Trumbo has 42 HR's and 100 RBI's. I'll take Trumbo's flies that go over the fence. Further, with Davis, Trumbo, 

and Alavarez on the same team you are going to see a lot of HR's and strikeouts. It's the way this team is built offensiively and they have been

successful for the most part. I think fans should get used to the approach, after all Davis signed a six year deal.

Edited by russsnyder

I doubt it.  If the pitcher had good enough control and threw balls 6" to a foot outside, Jones would be swinging.  If he had 2 strikes on him and he threw it in the dirt, Jones would be swinging.  Sure, he'd walk more than he currently does but don't expect a huge upswing in the base on balls department.  Jones is there for one reason- to swing.  If he gets a hit, great, if not, oh well. He'd wind up hitting about .220-.230 with about 150 strikeouts. 

You think after a month of not being thrown a single strike, Jones approach would stay exactly the same?  Jones gets thrown strikes for the same reason every MLB player gets thrown strikes.  If all you throw is balls they'll eventually stop swinging, even Vlad Guerrero.

I understand the hyperbole people employ with Jones to emphasize what a free swinger he is but if you actually believe the hyperbole, I just don't know what to tell you.

You think after a month of not being thrown a single strike, Jones approach would stay exactly the same?  Jones gets thrown strikes for the same reason every MLB player gets thrown strikes.  If all you throw is balls they'll eventually stop swinging, even Vlad Guerrero.

I understand the hyperbole people employ with Jones to emphasize what a free swinger he is but if you actually believe the hyperbole, I just don't know what to tell you.

Obviously, we'll never know because no pitcher would give in to a hitter like that over and over.  I don't think their egos could handle it.  But I do have a morbid curiosity of what would happen and I still say Jones would be swinging away at a lot of those pitches.  He's way too impatient and like most of the Oriole hitters, has immense trouble recognizing what is a strike and what isn't.  Sure, his walks would go up but so would the strikeouts.  Absolutely. 

I have a major issue with how little Buck has utilized Kim in the past few weeks.

Agree 100%.

And this Trumbo sac fly stat is astounding.

Edited by BayAreaBmore

http://calltothepen.com/2016/09/13/baltimore-orioles-mark-trumbo-hitting-bombs-but-providing-little-value/

Not sure I agree with all of this but some of it definitely makes sense.

I'm not a big fan of the saber metrics stats despite their value.  I'd rather simply discuss what I saw (or thought I saw) and maybe back it up with some routine stats then get that damned technical.  

So, although I can't question Trumbo's WAR and what it means, I believe I know this: without Trumbo, the first half of this season would have been a disaster for the O's.