Photo
- - - - -

How An Internet IP Mapping Glitch Turned A Random Kansas Farm Into A Digital Hell

IP Addresses

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EL-FLIPPO

EL-FLIPPO

School & Street Educated

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,210 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Doodad Nebula

Posted 04 October 2016 - 06:09 PM

For the last decade, Joyce Taylor and her renters have been visited by all kinds of mysterious trouble. They’ve been accused of being identity thieves, spammers, scammers and fraudsters. They’ve gotten visited by FBI agents, federal marshals, IRS collectors, ambulances searching for suicidal veterans, and police officers searching for runaway children. They’ve found people scrounging around in their barn. The renters have been doxxed, their names and addresses posted on the internet by vigilantes.

IP mapping isn’t an exact science. At its most precise, an IP address can be mapped to a house. At its least precise, it can be mapped only to a country. In order to deal with that imprecision, MaxMind decided to set default locations at the city, state and country level for when it knows only roughly where the IP address lives. If it knows only that an IP address is somewhere in the U.S., and can’t figure out anything more about where it is, it will point to the center of the country.

As a result, for the last 14 years, every time MaxMind’s database has been queried about the location of an IP address in the United States it can’t identify, it has spit out the default location of a spot two hours away from the geographic center of the country. This happens a lot: 5,000 companies rely on MaxMind’s IP mapping information, and in all, there are now over 600 million IP addresses associated with that default coordinate. If any of those IP addresses are used by a scammer, or a computer thief, or a suicidal person contacting a help line, MaxMind’s database places them at the same spot: Joyce Taylor’s house.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Give not that which is holy unto the dogs,
neither cast ye your pearls before swine,
lest they trample them under their feet
.â€
~
Matthew 7:6 ~

#2 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,299 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:47 PM

Fascinating --- and scary.

Dieser Weg wird kein leichter sein; dieser Weg wird steinig und schwer.
Nicht mit vielen wirst du dir einig sein, doch dieses Leben bietet so viel mehr. --Xavier Naidoo

#3 boink

boink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,564 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 02:25 PM

For the last decade, Joyce Taylor and her renters have been visited by all kinds of mysterious trouble. They’ve been accused of being identity thieves, spammers, scammers and fraudsters. They’ve gotten visited by FBI agents, federal marshals, IRS collectors, ambulances searching for suicidal veterans, and police officers searching for runaway children. They’ve found people scrounging around in their barn. The renters have been doxxed, their names and addresses posted on the internet by vigilantes.

IP mapping isn’t an exact science. At its most precise, an IP address can be mapped to a house. At its least precise, it can be mapped only to a country. In order to deal with that imprecision, MaxMind decided to set default locations at the city, state and country level for when it knows only roughly where the IP address lives. If it knows only that an IP address is somewhere in the U.S., and can’t figure out anything more about where it is, it will point to the center of the country.

As a result, for the last 14 years, every time MaxMind’s database has been queried about the location of an IP address in the United States it can’t identify, it has spit out the default location of a spot two hours away from the geographic center of the country. This happens a lot: 5,000 companies rely on MaxMind’s IP mapping information, and in all, there are now over 600 million IP addresses associated with that default coordinate. If any of those IP addresses are used by a scammer, or a computer thief, or a suicidal person contacting a help line, MaxMind’s database places them at the same spot: Joyce Taylor’s house.

use Tor

when I use it my IP address appears to be in Malta, Netherlands, etc.

#4 EL-FLIPPO

EL-FLIPPO

School & Street Educated

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,210 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Doodad Nebula

Posted 12 February 2017 - 10:40 PM

I use a VPN (Virtual Private Network). Right now, my IP Address appears to be in New York City, N.Y.

With some of my other options I can appear to be in Miami, Seattle, Chicago, Ottawa Canada, Mexico City Mexico, Sao Paulo Brazil, Hong Kong China...

The VPN I use is encrypted, fast, and has 3 peer-to-peer (p2p) connections,

Edited by EL-FLIPPO, 12 February 2017 - 10:41 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Give not that which is holy unto the dogs,
neither cast ye your pearls before swine,
lest they trample them under their feet
.â€
~
Matthew 7:6 ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users