19 replies to this topic

#1 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,926 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 10:35 AM

The trailer is out. It is not being released until Dec. 16th. I was hoping it would be out by Thanksgiving. :(

#2 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,633 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:21 AM

So far season 2 hasn't explained what the end of season 1 meant. I'm slightly confused.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#3 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,926 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:43 AM

I've only watched the first two episodes. The plot line about Tagomi, the Japanese trade minister, seems to following be up on his little trip around the bay.

It seems kind of typical for Philip K. D ick. Is the alternative reality real or some sort of hoax? It seems like it is real.

#4 mlatoman

mlatoman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,073 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 02:53 PM

Haven't watched any episodes of Season 2 yet. Hope to this weekend!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"This little piggie should have stayed home

#5 EL-FLIPPO

EL-FLIPPO

School & Street Educated

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,183 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Doodad Nebula

Posted 23 December 2016 - 01:00 PM

So far season 2 hasn't explained what the end of season 1 meant. I'm slightly confused.

I've got all of Season 2, but have only watched 2 episodes so far. I was waiting for them to build off of the Season 1 finale also.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Give not that which is holy unto the dogs,
neither cast ye your pearls before swine,
lest they trample them under their feet
.â€
~
Matthew 7:6 ~

#6 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,926 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:05 AM

I've seen the entire season now. I think the first season was a little better but that the second season made more sense. Trade Minister Tagomi's little 'trip around the bay' at the end of the first season makes sense in the plot of the second season.
It is isn't explained how it happens, only that it can happen. It is a sci-fi show after all.

Rufus Sewell hit it out of the park again with his performance as Obergruppenführer John Smith. He really plays the manipulative Nazi very well. Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa does a great job as the stoic Trade Minister Tagomi.

The Frank/Ed/Bob thing could have been skipped or done better. It was like they were trying to drop some comic relief in on an otherwise dark show. I don't think it worked.

I wonder if there is going to be a third season as they wrapped up just about everything.

#7 zenwalk

zenwalk

Pundit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,329 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:46 PM

I've seen the entire season now. I think the first season was a little better but that the second season made more sense. Trade Minister Tagomi's little 'trip around the bay' at the end of the first season makes sense in the plot of the second season.
It is isn't explained how it happens, only that it can happen. It is a sci-fi show after all.

Rufus Sewell hit it out of the park again with his performance as Obergruppenführer John Smith. He really plays the manipulative Nazi very well. Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa does a great job as the stoic Trade Minister Tagomi.

The Frank/Ed/Bob thing could have been skipped or done better. It was like they were trying to drop some comic relief in on an otherwise dark show. I don't think it worked.

I wonder if there is going to be a third season as they wrapped up just about everything.

Haven't seen the new season. Got bored with the first one. Mr Robot is far more PKD than this.

"A screaming comes across the sky. . ." -- Thomas Pynchon

#8 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,926 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:24 AM

There will be a season three.

#9 zenwalk

zenwalk

Pundit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,329 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:32 PM

Is season two good? I see the showrunner quit which is usually a terrible sign.

"A screaming comes across the sky. . ." -- Thomas Pynchon

#10 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,926 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:39 PM

I liked it. A bit more cloak and dagger stuff while the alternative reality pretty much got contained to the trade minister.

#11 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,633 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:09 AM

Everything but the ending in my opinion.

#12 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,926 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:50 AM

Everything but the ending in my opinion.

What did you not like about the ending? It kind of boils down to which set of bad guys win but there aren't very many good guys on the show.

#13 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,633 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:56 AM

No I didn't mind that part, the ending with the Nazis was great. But I'm a resolution guy and the ending did nothing to explain the trade minister's alternate reality.

#14 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,926 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:54 AM

No I didn't mind that part, the ending with the Nazis was great. But I'm a resolution guy and the ending did nothing to explain the trade minister's alternate reality.

They don't explain how it happens, only that it does. The trade minister is not the only one who has gone there. It is just a strange plot vehicle.

#15 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,633 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:10 PM

Strange is one word for it, which is why I didn't really care for it. JMO. Overall a great season though.

#16 mlatoman

mlatoman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,073 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:14 AM

Just finished S2 this morning. Here's my take (spoliers if you haven't seen it!).

There is at least two, maybe more, Earth timelines. One is the one we know. Allies beat Axis, and now we are at the period of the Cuban Missile Crisis. The second (which is prevalent in this series) is that the Axis defeated the Allies and occupy most of the US. Yet...the film of the H-bomb test at Bikini Atoll is said to be Japanese. Now, we all know that the US tested the first dry-fuel hydrogen bomb (the 15 Mt Castle Bravo shot), yet this film is said to be Japanese. I don't think "we" saw enough of the film, but the Nazis and Japanese viewed the entire film. If it was film of the US test in 1954, wouldn't it have not looked "Japanese"? I would think so.

So I believe another timeline is in play. And somehow, Julianna Crane is involved in every one. She is the catalyst. Why is unexplained, but she is the driver of change. Unwilling at times, but front and center.

The scene near the end where Reichsfuhrer Himmler address the throng is chilling, when you consider what the world would be like had the Allies lost the war.

#17 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,926 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:09 PM

SPOILER ALERT!!! I think it has been long enough that if you haven't seen the show and don't want to know what happened in season 2 then stop reading.

In the final episode, Hawthorne Abendsen (Stephen Root) was talking to Julianna about how every time he crossed over she was always there. When the trade minister crossed over, who does he run into? No other than Julianna.
So maybe the whole alternative universe thing has something to do with her.

Between Himmler, Smith, and Black, the Nazi plot line was probably the best just for the sheer creepiness of it.  The way it ended was flat out disturbing.  Thomas turning himself in was hard to watch.   

#18 mlatoman

mlatoman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,073 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:56 PM

SPOILER ALERT!!! I think it has been long enough that if you haven't seen the show and don't want to know what happened in season 2 then stop reading.
In the final episode, Hawthorne Abendsen (Stephen Root) was talking to Julianna about how every time he crossed over she was always there. When the trade minister crossed over, who does he run into? No other than Julianna.
So maybe the whole alternative universe thing has something to do with her.

Between Himmler, Smith, and Black, the Nazi plot line was probably the best just for the sheer creepiness of it.  The way it ended was flat out disturbing.  Thomas turning himself in was hard to watch.

What is truly disturbing is how "we" could easily have sympathy for Obengrupperfuhrer Smith and his family, who were, at the core, good little Nazis and traitors to America. The opener to Episode 10 was telling, showing Smith in his US Army uniform with his wife, watching DC being nuked. So within 17 years they fell in lockstep with Nazi beliefs to the core. And yet we sympathized with their plight over the fate of their son Thomas, when in reality they wouldn't have batted an eye over the fate of anyone else's child.

#19 EL-FLIPPO

EL-FLIPPO

School & Street Educated

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,183 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Doodad Nebula

Posted 18 January 2017 - 04:08 PM

I liked Season 1.

Season 2...too slow for me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Give not that which is holy unto the dogs,
neither cast ye your pearls before swine,
lest they trample them under their feet
.â€
~
Matthew 7:6 ~

#20 SemiAuto

SemiAuto

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,926 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:10 AM

What is truly disturbing is how "we" could easily have sympathy for Obengrupperfuhrer Smith and his family, who were, at the core, good little Nazis and traitors to America. The opener to Episode 10 was telling, showing Smith in his US Army uniform with his wife, watching DC being nuked. So within 17 years they fell in lockstep with Nazi beliefs to the core. And yet we sympathized with their plight over the fate of their son Thomas, when in reality they wouldn't have batted an eye over the fate of anyone else's child.

The whole Smith family is like a Nazi version of Leave It To Beaver. In the first season they had something like a Victory in America day where people were celebrating like it was the 4th of July. All of that sort of stuff was creepy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users