Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steveg85321

Internet TV

12 posts in this topic

I will soon be moving to Colorado, and I will be able to subscribe to an extremely fast and economical internet service. I would like to ditch cable and satellite and watch all TV online. Also I want to be able to watch any games of the Orioles and the Ravens. Any recommendations on how to do this? Do I need to get a piece of hardware? All advice appreciated.

I will soon be moving to Colorado, and I will be able to subscribe to an extremely fast and economical internet service. I would like to ditch cable and satellite and watch all TV online. Also I want to be able to watch any games of the Orioles and the Ravens. Any recommendations on how to do this? Do I need to get a piece of hardware? All advice appreciated.

We ditched cable a few years ago and never looked back. You have to accept that your weekly shows are history and find new viewing material from the usual places like netflix, hulu and Amazon.  There are ways to cheat but you need a kid to figure that out.  I miss Turner Classics a lot. I don't miss the news. Some channels, like Turner, operate through an app but the catch is you need to subscribe for them to work. You don't ditch cable in that case so much as reduce your subscription to the basic channels.  Your viewing habits adapt to what's available.  The good news is most of the better shows are available through one of the sites mentioned above but in blocks of seasons. Amazon you can pretty much buy anything but I imagine that gets expensive.  I highly recommend West Wing (Netflix) and the Americans (Amazon). The best news is you are free from commercials. Hope this helps.

If you aren't an avid watcher of current tv series, it will be pretty easy to cut the cord. Netflix has many, many tv series to choose from, and movies galore. But they aren't current. Amazon has been making current series available the day after an episode airs. You can buy a single episode, or the whole season. Zenwalk mentioned the Americans, I love that show, and Amazon is selling the current season for $35. Watching the O's is an easy fix, mlb.tv Slidemaster uses that, and he said you have the option of choosing the home or away team's broadcast. So you don't have to give up Gary Thorne, but you can avoid Jim Hunter. Lucky you. Sling says they offer an NFL package, but I don't know much about them.    

My suggestions:

- Get an HDTV antenna. It's pretty cheap and will give you all the local TV stations with better picture quality IMO than Cable HDTV signals

- Get a Roku, Amazon Fire, or Apple TV streaming video device. They use the Internet to stream movies, TV shows, and Music. The downside for sports is you will probably need to get some pricey monthly or annual Subscription service to view sporting events outside of Colorado

I still have basic Cable because there are still limitations on what I can watch with my Roku device without a Cable TV subscription.

A lot of the major Cable Channels and National TV networks have Video On Demand apps for Internet TV devices but they often require a Cable TV subscription.

Edited by soulflower

My suggestions:

- Get an HDTV antenna. It's pretty cheap and will give you all the local TV stations with better picture quality IMO than Cable HDTV signals

- Get a Roku, Amazon Fire, or Apple TV streaming video device. They use the Internet to stream movies, TV shows, and Music. The downside for sports is you will probably need to get some pricey monthly or annual Subscription service to view sporting events outside of Colorado

I still have basic Cable because there are still limitations on what I can watch with my Roku device without a Cable TV subscription.

A lot of the major Cable Channels and National TV networks have Video On Demand apps for Internet TV devices but they often require a Cable TV subscription.

a full mlb season is $130. Compared to a monthly tv cable bill, he'll be saving lots of money. I pay $85/month for D-TV, and that's an upgraded package to include MASN. Now that the season is over, I think I'll suspend my service until the spring. 

a full mlb season is $130. Compared to a monthly tv cable bill, he'll be saving lots of money. I pay $85/month for D-TV, and that's an upgraded package to include MASN. Now that the season is over, I think I'll suspend my service until the spring.

I agree that the MLB package is pretty affordable on its own.

For me I guess my problem is that all those different subscription services add up. If you get separate MLB, NFL, and NBA packages plus Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc, you might get pretty close to the monthly cost of a Cable TV subscription.

It all depends on how many Subscriptions you get of course.

My problem is I like to watch a lot of TV shows that are currently on the air. I keep Basic cable for that reason.

I agree that the MLB package is pretty affordable on its own.

For me I guess my problem is that all those different subscription services add up. If you get separate MLB, NFL, and NBA packages plus Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc, you might get pretty close to the monthly cost of a Cable TV subscription.

It all depends on how many Subscriptions you get of course.

My problem is I like to watch a lot of TV shows that are currently on the air. I keep Basic cable for that reason.

Be careful about the MLB.com deal. The Orioles games are blacked out if you are in their territory. live in NC and the Orioles/Nats games are blacked out here. I wish they would lift those stupid blackouts, but they have not at this point. To get it legally without the blackouts, one still has to get it through satellite and/or cable TV.

Isn't there a way to circumvent the MLB blackout, ie find somebody out of state who is willing to sign up for you. Or did they figure out a way to block that.

I think the only way you're going to be able to see ALL Raven's game is to go with Direct TV, as far as I know, they have an exclusive contract with the NFL ,although in certain areas I think you can get the games on  a Verizon phone-- it was a problem for me when I first moved to FL, and I ended up getting the cheapest Direct TV package that included  NFL Direct Ticket (all regular season games except those broadcast locally by over the air channels) I can suspend the service for about six months of the off season. 

I was toying with the idea of getting my mother in law a slingbox back in MD, then I could see all of the Raven's games- and all Baltimore region TV for that matter-- via the slingbox but never pursued it. As I understand it, with a slingbox hooked up back in MD to the /net lets  you see anything over the receiver its hooked up to as if you were there. 

ROKU.

Or some similar service.

Then all you need is the internet and a good antenna for Me-TV.

And actually, you wouldn't need Me-TV because everything on that channel is also on ROKU for free the entire series episode after episode like Bonanza, **** Cavett, and Mission Impossible.

I have 159 channels from everything like movies, TV shows, News, documentaries, major university college courses and Copy Cat recipes, to how to play the guitar.

And to think I  just let it sit on my desk for 2 or 3 months.

I watch it every day.

I am installed in my new digs with internet entertainment system hooked up. I have a Sony BDPlayer with apps and Google Chromecast. I have so much content available it is insane. My music choices are especially complete, which I enjoy a lot. But most of the content is not of interest to me, and I don't have the one thing I most want right now: Ravens. I have all kinds of apps for watching TV, but most of them seem to require that I be connected to some provider. Apparently NFL is exclusively on DirecTV (in the $60/mo. pkg.), so it seems my idea of watching TV online is not working. Sling TV includes NFL on the $25 level, but I don't know if that is totally online, or still requires I be hooked to some provider?

Looks like Monday night I will be at a sports bar again. There are some fun ones around, but for Patriots Monday night football I sure would rather watch at home.

I am installed in my new digs with internet entertainment system hooked up. I have a Sony BDPlayer with apps and Google Chromecast. I have so much content available it is insane. My music choices are especially complete, which I enjoy a lot. But most of the content is not of interest to me, and I don't have the one thing I most want right now: Ravens. I have all kinds of apps for watching TV, but most of them seem to require that I be connected to some provider. Apparently NFL is exclusively on DirecTV (in the $60/mo. pkg.), so it seems my idea of watching TV online is not working. Sling TV includes NFL on the $25 level, but I don't know if that is totally online, or still requires I be hooked to some provider?

Looks like Monday night I will be at a sports bar again. There are some fun ones around, but for Patriots Monday night football I sure would rather watch at home.

Yep