Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EL-FLIPPO

FTC Busts Worldwide Internet Scam

5 posts in this topic

Operating through a call center in India, three men used a string of companies to bilk Americans of millions of dollars by sending them pop-up ads that claim their computers are infected, the FTC claims in court. Since at least 2013, defendants have bilked millions of dollars from consumers throughout the United States.

In carrying out their scheme, defendants employ pop-up ads that warn consumers that their computers have been hacked, infected, or otherwise compromised, and are in immediate need of computer security or technical support service. The pop-ups advise consumers to call a toll-free number to obtain that service, and mislead consumers into believing that they are contacting technical support providers affiliated with Microsoft, Apple, or other well-known companies.

The scheme is known as "browser hijacking" because the pop-ups are designed so that users are unable to navigate or close them, leading them to think there is a serious issue with their computer. The simple scheme tells computer users their computers are infected with a virus and the defendants can fix it, for money.

I have gotten those. It only started after I installed Windows 10, but that may well have nothing to do with it. And yes, you cannot navigate away from the page or close the browser the normal way. What I do is immediately open the Task Manager and close Chrome through that. Then I re-boot before opening the browser again, but that may be mere superstition on my part.

I'm glad someone is nailing these pricks. I often wonder how much better the world would be if people this clever would use the time and energy it takes to run these scams and use it for actual productive work.

Well Yeah but I'm surprised so few people know about that crap by now. Like the Indians or whatever that call you on the phone claiming they're "Your Microsoft Tech Agent" or such.  I just say "No you Ain't" and hang up.

Anyway I ran into one today browsing video clips on the YNC. Yeah I Know, don't say it, and immediately shut down the PC via the on/off button. Restarted in Normal mode when the Boot Screen came up then immediately ran Panda which found and cleared it then Malwarebytes that didn't find anything else. Just a Hiccup but I don't get worked up about it. I know some sites I look on now & then are sketchy but I usually only run into one of those hijackers maybe once every other month or so. I run Panda Free and Malwarebytes Free every week and usually they come up clean. I haven't been hit with a Real Virus since Sasser 32 way back in I think W98.

The Biggest thing you have to worry abt is Installing Software off the web. ALWAYS choose the Manual mode so you can Uncheck the boxes that prompt you for other stuff. Lots of times if you use Express they will slip in a browser hijacker or something else that makes another program your preferred search engine or some other Junk software like something that claims it makes your PC run faster.

All it takes is a little Common Sense and you'll be OK and Never have a problem. BTW I'm running W7 Pro, I just don't like 10 at all.

Edited by Bartman

I do have to give them credit for not actually infecting PCs unless you're duped into calling and giving them access.

But, I'm glad they've been busted.  Scumbags.

Just got a call that my Microsoft Windows license key had expired and I needed to call a number.  This was described as an emergency call.  Yeah, right.