Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eastside Terp

Caps 2016

174 posts in this topic

Well another season underway .....

Might be easier to get over how last year ended if we didn't open with the pens and didn't have to watch that srltamley cup tribute for the past 15 minutes ....

Oh well, here's to another good season and lots of enjoyable moments. ....

Edited by Eastside Terp

At least they got a point.  I went to bed in the third period since the stupid ceremony delayed the start by 30 minutes.

I just about puked during that ceremony.

Good game though, other than some really biased officiating.  Caps looked fast.  My wife really enjoyed the shootout, other than the outcome.  "You really hate that city, don't you?".

So far this Caps team looks a lot like last year's team, very physical, relentless at times on defense, and prone to having momentary lapses that result in easy goals for the opponent.  I think some of the lapses are due to some new parts, who btw, have been extremely impressive.  Everytime these guys are on the ice I keep thinking, damn, nice play, good aggressive move, etc.  This team is REAL good at taking contested pucks away and keeping it in the zone.  Where they seem to fall a little short is when the other team makes a push, and the puck isn't bouncing well for them, they get a little confused on assignments, or a little careless on clearing. 

At 7-2-1, there is little to complain about though.  They are still probably the best team in the league, and probably a little better than last year.  Their window is closing though, and they really need to win a cup soon.

Strong defense from the Sharks tonight.

They just never seem to match up well with the Sharks.  Not sure if it's in their head or what.

I watched it until it was 0 2 last night before I gave in and switched over to election coverage .....

They had some chances .....

Still playing with some of the line combos .....

Caps came out fired up tonight against the pens on national tv .....

4 0 early in 2nd ....

Fun to watch so far ....

Not fun to watch ovi going to the locker room injured .....

Looks like his wrist ....

Classic caps pp goal ....

Nick to ovi out on the wing and boom ....

Seen it dozens of times but still fun to watch even if it does make us one dimensional at times ....

Metro is gonna be a 3 horse race, Caps, Rangers, and Pens.  Not sold on the Rangers just yet, but they are definitely solid.  Caps seem to have more speed this year than last, getting to pucks ahead of guys, lot of fast breaks. 

Metro is gonna be a 3 horse race, Caps, Rangers, and Pens. Not sold on the Rangers just yet, but they are definitely solid. Caps seem to have more speed this year than last, getting to pucks ahead of guys, lot of fast breaks.

Definitely needed to get faster after playoffs last year .....

Now just need to get the right line combos ......

Frustrating game, banging the pipe several times and peppering the goalie all game ......

Isle's get 3 goals on 4 shots in 4 minutes after 2+ scoreless periods .....

Several things about last night's game were troubling.  The first was the complete lack of any fire after the cheap hit on Williams.  If you're not going to stand up for your guys, you're going to keep taking cheap shots.  The second was the continued crap play by Orlov to go along with Carlson's bad defensive play of late.  That pair is like a -9 or something over last two games.  They should be separated.  The other thing is the ongoing woeful PP which other teams have now figured out.  That's one of the big reasons their goal scoring is way off.  

Lastly, I don't criticize Holtby often but he has to get his butt out of the blue paint when there's a break away like the first goal.  You have to come out and take away net vision by cutting down the angle.  He should have been a good 4-6 ft above the paint and the guy would have been forced to deke, which means anything can happen from losing control to getting poke checked by Holtby. He also still has the tendency, like most modern goalies, to go to his knees too early.  If he simply stands up, no way Chimera scores that third goal.

Hopefully, Trotz kicks some backside and gets these guys to wake up.

Caps on a nice roll, but what is up with the Metro?  Good lord, everyone is streaking!  Good news is that the Caps while technically in 4th place, only 2 pts behind Pitt with 2 games less played, so realistically, they are likely to be in first or tied for first when they do catch up in the games played.

Holtby has been amazing, and getting Oshie and Niskannan back have been huge.  Ovie is playing much better too. 

It's a crying shame that Trotz hasn't won a cup, he's one of the best coaches in the league.  I hope the Caps get him one...

Caps on a nice roll, but what is up with the Metro?  Good lord, everyone is streaking!  Good news is that the Caps while technically in 4th place, only 2 pts behind Pitt with 2 games less played, so realistically, they are likely to be in first or tied for first when they do catch up in the games played.

Holtby has been amazing, and getting Oshie and Niskannan back have been huge.  Ovie is playing much better too. 

It's a crying shame that Trotz hasn't won a cup, he's one of the best coaches in the league.  I hope the Caps get him one...

Baby steps.  I hope the Caps can make it to a conference final. 

Crazy game tonight!  Sloppy, but fun. 

Metro Division is still rather insane.  Caps got some games in hand, could find themselves in second place by next week if they can stay hot.  Though, that will start with stopping the Blue Jackets 16(!) game winning streak!

Tied for second with the Pens.  Metro Division is still red hot at the top, though I think the Rangers are going to eventually fall back some.  Not sure about the Blue Jackets just yet.  They might have blown their load. 

Caps are red hot, and playing well.  Starting to score more, and still playing lock-down defense for the most part.  Aside from one game, Holtby is still on point.  I'm thinking that the Caps and Pens are going to go down to the wire for the division, and probably the Presidents Cup. 

Ovi 1000 point .....

35 seconds in against the pens ....