Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eastside Terp

Caps 2016

174 posts in this topic

That was an impressive beatdown of the Pens.  Maybe one of the most impressive wins of the year, aside from the shellacking of the BJ's. 

Don't look now, but the Caps have the best record in the NHL :D

Domination over some of the league's best teams lately.  Can they do this in May?  Please?

This game tonight against pens is crazy .....

Caps just cut it to 1, down 7 6 .....

Crazy yes, but that was very poorly officiated, and ultimately at the end cost the Caps a road victory. 

Something has got to be done about the officating in the NHL.  Nobody can tell me that there isn't bias towards certain players and teams.  Last night was ridiculously blatant.

Crazy yes, but that was very poorly officiated, and ultimately at the end cost the Caps a road victory. 

Something has got to be done about the officating in the NHL.  Nobody can tell me that there isn't bias towards certain players and teams.  Last night was ridiculously blatant.

1 penalty against the Caps. 5 against the Pens.

Ok.

1 penalty against the Caps. 5 against the Pens.

Ok.

And the Pens committed about more 5 blatant ones, in front of refs, that they should have been called for.  The Caps played a much cleaner game than the Pens.  Pens got away with murder, because they knew they could.

Both teams were clearly biased against playing defense.

Ain't that the truth. Know Letang was out but geez. Fun to watch in kind of a train wreck way.

And the Pens committed about more 5 blatant ones, in front of refs, that they should have been called for. The Caps played a much cleaner game than the Pens. Pens got away with murder, because they knew they could.

Funny. Pens fans think the refs blew calls they should have made against the Caps. Confirmation bias. You see what you want to see.

Or the league is fixed.????

The 5+ goal average had to end some time.

Haha yeah, no doubt.  They looked flat out exhausted last night. 

This team has gone from sputtering, to good, to very good, to great.  Connelly and Eller have transformed the team into what appear to be a practically unstoppable force, along with Kuzy really taking off again, and Oshie finding his groove.  The defense and goaltending are the best in the league, bar none.  They are breaking records, and approaching the dominance of the 91-92 Pittsburgh Penguins.  They aren't just beating people, they are literally bludgeoning them.  I think they said in the last ten games, they've outscored their opponents 45-6.  That is insane...record setting.  Of course, to win a Stanely Cup, you have to have a decent amount of luck.  Last year, they were derailed in game 3 of their series with Pitt when Pittsburgh had about as many lucky breaks as a team could have despite being utterly dominated by the Caps, which turned the series. 

I've been watching hockey since the early 80's, and I don't recall many teams(maybe two ever) that dominated the way the Caps are right now.  ESPN said the only thing that can stop them right now is boredom.  They are that much better than the rest of the league.  Well, hyping it up like this, I've probably jynxed the hell out of them right?  (I mean, I post about the Terps and sure enough they drop two straight that they should have won...grrrr).  But damn...this is exciting to watch.

What I see now is a team that has learned some serious fundamentals that they previously lacked.  You know, last year, they won a lot of games, but it was a lot of close games.  Often, they'd score, and allow a push back right away to let a team back in.  They've progressively gotten better about that, and there are a couple of things that really stand out:

1.)  They consistently win the 1-1 battles for the puck.  They do a terrific job of just out-muscling, out hustling their opponents.  When two players are going for a puck, you can almost bet the Caps come away with it. 

2.)  They have become masterful at passing.  They catch pucks on their skates, something they never used to do very well at all.  Long passes, short passes, tick-tack-toe, they are masters at this, by far best in the league.  The improvement of the 3rd line is something that they desperately needed, and now they have got it.  They can score at any time, with any line.

3.)  They don't over skate and bunch up too much on offense...and it's because they begin their entire plan with defense.  They commit to defense, and pick their opportunities, and surgically slice a team apart when the time is right.  Reminds me an awful lot of the Pengins last year...hmmm...seems they learned something, but really that is all Trotz.

4.)  They intercept a lot of pucks.  Trotz has them playing some seriously great defense, be it pushing the puck outside, stealing it, or, most importantly, doing a great job of disrupting anyone taking the puck into the zone by lifting the stick.  Fundamentally, this is a great defensive team.

5.)  Lastly, goaltending.  Need I say more?  Holtby and Grubauer might not just be the best tandem, they might be the best TWO goalies right now.  If they continue like this into May, the Caps won't need any luck to win the Stanely Cup.

Now watch them go into a freefall since I've posted this ;)

They are playing great .....

So and I going to the game on Saturday ....

They are playing great .....

So and I going to the game on Saturday ....

Enjoy!

My brother in law gets tickets from the dealership he works for, and we are planning on going to a game soon.

Good game last night, lots of scoring.

Yeah, some sloppy defense,sign of a bored team.

I was there, sitting a few rows behind the glass in end where the shoot twice ......

Exciting game, 7 of the 10 goals scored less than 50 feet in front of me ......

The game winner was especially cool watching it dribble in like it was in slow motion .....

Fun night, exciting game .....

Caps aquire Shattenkirk from the Blues for Zach Sanford.  I did not see this one coming, at all.  Some people were really high on Sanford, others not so much.  Given the Caps depth with prospects, he was certainly expendable.  There's a lot of reasons for the move though, from the expansion draft to Alzner being a UFA, and mostly, selling out to win the Cup this season.  The Caps were already the top defensive team in the league, and just added one of the top defenders in the league.  Yikes.

Edited by alienrace

Shattenkirk looked great in his first game as a Cap, made some great plays! 

Caps just dominated the Rags after the 1st, despite having Oshie, Orpik and Burakovsky out.  Definitely most impressive game after the break.  There were times it was a serious onslaught.

Shattenkirk looked great in his first game as a Cap, made some great plays! 

Caps just dominated the Rags after the 1st, despite having Oshie, Orpik and Burakovsky out.  Definitely most impressive game after the break.  There were times it was a serious onslaught.

I haven't followed the Caps since I moved back to Baltimore. But I think I'll go out of my way to watch the Stanley Cup tournament. I suffered through years of heartbreaking defeats. And even though I stopped being an avid fan, I would love to see them hoist up the cup. 

Caps aquire Shattenkirk from the Blues for Zach Sanford.  I did not see this one coming, at all.  Some people were really high on Sanford, others not so much.  Given the Caps depth with prospects, he was certainly expendable.  There's a lot of reasons for the move though, from the expansion draft to Alzner being a UFA, and mostly, selling out to win the Cup this season.  The Caps were already the top defensive team in the league, and just added one of the top defenders in the league.  Yikes.

At this point, selling out to improve in the playoffs is fine by me.

I haven't followed the Caps since I moved back to Baltimore. But I think I'll go out of my way to watch the Stanley Cup tournament. I suffered through years of heartbreaking defeats. And even though I stopped being an avid fan, I would love to see them hoist up the cup. 

The suffering may not end.  :mellow:

Ovechkin should sit in the press box a few games.  He looks horrible.