Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eastside Terp

Caps 2016

173 posts in this topic

On to 2nd OT.....

Expending a lot of energy in 1st 2 games of what hopefully is a long playoff run ....

1st seed against the last seed is not supposed to be this tough but nobody told this young team that ......

Now they are in a fight.

On to 2nd OT.....

Expending a lot of energy in 1st 2 games of what hopefully is a long playoff run ....

1st seed against the last seed is not supposed to be this tough but nobody told this young team that ......

Meanwhile Pitt is up 3-0. 

Meanwhile Pitt is up 3-0. 

The one thing I've learned about hockey, especially playoff hockey is, things rarely go as expected.

Keep pissing it away .....

Can't capitalize on a 5 on 3 and blow 2, 2 goal leads .....

Losing the lead with 30 seconds left in the period is horrible ......

3 caps down below the goal .....

Lucky to be going to ot after that 3rd ....

Caps D better figure something out or this could be over in 5.

Caps D better figure something out or this could be over in 5.

Hard to believe the Caps won't bounce back. Nobody can be that consistently unlucky.

Posted (edited)

Seems like it's always something with the Caps in the playoffs. Running into a hot goalie, a talented young team, etc.

At some point they need to sack up and get it done.

Edited by Pickle20

This is starting to look like a movie I've seen before. Don't know if I have the stomach to sit through it again.

Is Ovechkin hurt? Why else play him only 15 min?

Last year during the playoffs, I remember Jeremy Roenick saying the Caps don't have the killer instinct for whatever reason to finish off opponents.  Seems to still be true.

Last year during the playoffs, I remember Jeremy Roenick saying the Caps don't have the killer instinct for whatever reason to finish off opponents. Seems to still be true.

We will see tonight ......

Just seem to be older and slower than the leafs, especially on defense .....

Season on line and perhaps on verge of most epic collapse in a franchise known for them .....

Huge win, in the face of some true BS officiating. Still though, running out of gas and hanging on instead of putting them away. Next game is pivotal, but the Caps are clearly better, they just need to play like it.

Internet and cable were out so I didn't see the game.  And they won.  Could be a coincidence there...

The end to end plays with Wilson diving in his own net to stop a goal and then getting up and scoring down the other end was an incredible minute of hockey ....

Goalie interference call was bs .....

D needs to step up ......

Should be good games this weekend .....

Wilson is seriously coming of age!  He has been the best player in the playoffs, and that play was for the ages.  It's a shame they lost game 3 because Holtby's play would have ranked up there too.

The defense has got to do a better job of clearing the puck.  So many goals have been allowed because they just tried to slap it around the rink instead of getting a good clear.  Winds up getting to the Leafs point position, and they take advantage.  They also have not done a good job of protecting Holtby at times.  However, I wouldn't go so far as to say they've been playing bad defense.  The Leafs have been ultra-opportunistic, and damn, if the Caps for once could get some luck to bounce THEIR way that is good, rather than the tons of unlucky bounces and deflections, they could easily have blown out the Leafs in any, or all four games thus far. 

The Leafs played very furious and physical last night, but the Caps also showed why they are the #1 seed.  They also showed that they tend to wear down against fast, young teams, and have pretty much in the past two games rather alarmingly.  The Leafs could wind up being a very good team next year.  Lot of speed and talent. 

Huge win, big difference being up 3 2 than down 2 3 .....

Nothing ever easy watching this team, another nail biter 3rd period .....

Collective gasp when ovi went down from that cheap hit .....

Wilson used up his good will with those cheap penalties that could have been costly and went to the dog house ......

Mixed emotions about them not getting the cheap shot artist except for that slash .....

That was an intense game! Leafs giving the Caps all they can handle. Both goalies were outstanding. The officiating was again horrendous, and tilted very heavily towards the Leafs. The Caps do seem to find another gear in OT though. Bad luck and lost faceoffs cost them earlier in the series, but they weren't going to be denied last night. That was textbook tic tac toe.

Going into a scoreless 3rd ......

Not easy watching this team .....

Man, they went out and GOT that one after the freak goal by Mathews shocked them a bit in a game the were playing hard in. What a series!

Looking back at my first round predictions, I couldn't have been more wrong.  Columbus barely put up a fight against the Pens, and the Leafs were a much tougher matchup than anticipated.  Boston wasn't much, and probably would have a been a far easier matchup. 

No question speed is the thing that neutralizes heavy teams like the Caps and Bluejackets.  Toronto and the Pens have it in spades.  Early on, the Caps were getting burnt, and letting far too many people get in Holtby's face - this is something the Pens do a lot of as well.  Leafs and Pens play really similarly.  The Bluejackets really just played a dumb, heavy game trying to just punish the Pens into submission, and got torched.  You can't go that heavy in the forecheck against them, they will get far too many odd-man rushes and breakaways behind you.  The Caps got a good warmup for what is to come against Pittsburgh.  What could be encouraging for Caps fans is, that they did make adjustments during the series, and did a much better job of getting the goal mouth cleared of Leafs, Holtby had good sight in the final two games.  What should also be encouraging is that in the final two games the Caps had everything going against them, bad breaks, hops, and horrendously one-sided officiating, yet still managed to keep their heads up and close it out. 

No surprises in this series.  They know each other well.  The Caps are the better team, but that doesn't mean a lot in the playoffs, and it's not a huge margin, but the *are* the better team, as they were last year(but they just could not overcome bad luck).  Will they win?  Maybe...maybe not.  I'm not so good at predictions in hockey...I mean, who really is?

Caps are too slow. They get taken advantage of by faster teams. Caps were way more experienced and talented than Toronto yet that series felt like both teams were fairly equal because of Toronto's speed. Penguins are not only faster, but they have playoff experience. We see it in just about every sport how speed can negate a talent disadvantage. Caps need to work that much harder to overcome other teams speed advantage.