Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eastside Terp

Caps 2016

174 posts in this topic

Hate to say it, but you're right. That said, the Caps lost because they took plays off.

They are not as fast but could have easily won that game .....

Fell asleep for less than a minute and it cost them .....

No power plays? .....

Even if you ignore the two goals, the 2nd period was probably their worst of the playoffs.  Completely dominated.  At least they seemed to adjust in the third, but they better figure something out quick.

Even if you ignore the two goals, the 2nd period was probably their worst of the playoffs.  Completely dominated.  At least they seemed to adjust in the third, but they better figure something out quick.

I don't think they were dominated, they still controlled the puck, other than that first 2 minutes.  It was just two very lazy, lacksadaisacle plays that cost them those two goals. 

The game winner was a terrible, lazy play by Orpik.  He got caught way up the ice, and then gave a half hearted attempt to disrupt the shot. 

Don't get me started on the non-calls.  No power plays?  In a game like that?  C'mon man.

Caps make an astonishing number of poor shots for such a talented team.

OK, almost game time.....

Must win game .....

Not good, when you totally dominant a period like that you have to get something....

Pens will be back....

Rang the pipe twice and pp was awful ....

Holtby is a sieve tonight.....

Have to stop those shots on the short side....

Crosby is like a magician ....

Dang, holtby was terrible but didn't see him getting pulled ....

Oh well, desperate times....

Goalies have been the diffence....

Same spring script from the Caps.  Only big changes are going to get them over the hump.

Same spring script from the Caps. Only big changes are going to get them over the hump.

That's brilliant, you should send that suggestion to the brain trust in charge .....

Here it is they have been going with the same players and coaches for the past 3 decades .....

Posted (edited)

That's brilliant, you should send that suggestion to the brain trust in charge .....

Here it is they have been going with the same players and coaches for the past 3 decades .....

I wasn't looking for an argument, just stating a fact.  BTW, the "brain trust" obviously hasn't figured it out.  If they had, we wouldn't be seeing this year in and year out.  The President's trophy is nice but it is not what you play for.  It would be much better to come in as a 5th or 6th seed and no expectations.  Oh, and who said anything about the last 3 decades?  Just go back 4-5 years and you see the same pattern repeated again and again.  

Edited by veritas

So they should shut it down at some point an coast into 5th place before the playoffs or us there a formula for a 5th place team? ....

I wonder why the pens keep fighting us tooth and nail throughout the season instead of targeting 5th place? ......

Maybe you call them and tell them finishing 2nd isnt so good ......

Sorry, if you want to talk specifics go for it but your post is nonsense as it is .....

Posted (edited)

So they should shut it down at some point an coast into 5th place before the playoffs or us there a formula for a 5th place team? ....

I wonder why the pens keep fighting us tooth and nail throughout the season instead of targeting 5th place? ......

Maybe you call them and tell them finishing 2nd isnt so good ......

Sorry, if you want to talk specifics go for it but your post is nonsense as it is .....

Maybe having big expectations is too much for this crew.  Two PT's and, what looks like, two early dismissals. Throw in 2009 and it's three times. Plus, with Bettman's harebrained and idiotic playoff format, winning the division doesn't even get you much of an advantage.  Columbus gets Pittsburgh. the wild card Rangers get Montreal.  Rangers get Ottawa.  We get Pittsburgh.  Huh?  It rewards the teams in weak divisions and penalizes the teams in strong ones.  

Edited by veritas

Maybe having big expectations is too much for this crew. Two PT's and, what looks like, two early dismissals. Throw in 2009 and it's three times. Plus, with Bettman's harebrained and idiotic playoff format, winning the division doesn't even get you much of an advantage. Columbus gets Pittsburgh. the wild card Rangers get Montreal. Rangers get Ottawa. We get Pittsburgh. Huh? It rewards the teams in weak divisions and penalizes the teams in strong ones.

No doubt the 2 best teams have met in round 2 the past 2 years ......

I read it's the first time since 1991 that the #1 team and #2 team have met in the scp and that was in the finals .....

Tough draw, it sucks and we may get knocked out early 2 years in a row by the only team that could and the eventual Champs .....

Playoff format has got to go. I swear the Caps just can't buy a break. Pens are loose, Caps are tight. The fans have a bit to do with this too, though you cannot fault them for expectations.

Posted (edited)

Maybe having big expectations is too much for this crew.  Two PT's and, what looks like, two early dismissals. Throw in 2009 and it's three times. Plus, with Bettman's harebrained and idiotic playoff format, winning the division doesn't even get you much of an advantage.  Columbus gets Pittsburgh. the wild card Rangers get Montreal.  Rangers get Ottawa.  We get Pittsburgh.  Huh?  It rewards the teams in weak divisions and penalizes the teams in strong ones.

You got the Leafs in the first round.

Not a big fan of this playoff format but think its importance is overrated. Realize this is only the fourth (or fifth?) year but has a 5th or 6th seed ever won the cup under this new format? Or gone to the finals?

Expect a loud and crazy game tonight at PPG Arena.

Edited by ms maggie

Pens are going to sweep the Caps.  Book that one. 

1.  The Caps are now doubting themselves.  They just don't match up well against the Pens, and the pressure of being the favorite is weighing them down.  They dominate for stretches, than a whacky bounce, deflection, and the Pens are off to the races and the Caps are too slow to run them down.  I cannot really blame Holtby, but I think he is feeling the pressure too. 

2.  Nothing ever goes right for the Caps in the playoffs.  Call it a curse, call it what you will.  I've never seen worse luck for a professional franchise in all of my years of watching sports. 

3.  The Caps are tight.  Expectations of the fans have filtered onto the team over the years. 

4.  The Pens are loose.  Once you've won one, you play a lot looser, more confident, and not waiting for the hammer to fall like the Caps are.

Not sure I'm even going to watch it tonight.  Tired of the same old shyteshow.  Orioles-Red Sox might be better for me.

You got the Leafs in the first round.

Not a big fan of this playoff format but think its importance is overrated. Realize this is only the fourth (or fifth?) year but has a 5th or 6th seed ever won the cup under this new format? Or gone to the finals?

Expect a loud and crazy game tonight at PPG Arena.

They should bring back the format which worked perfectly fine before.  The division winners and then all the other teams by points.  1 vs 8, 2 vs 7 and so on.  Then re-rank the teams in each successive round.  Otherwise, the regular season doesn't mean much.

Pens are going to sweep the Caps.  Book that one. 

1.  The Caps are now doubting themselves.  They just don't match up well against the Pens, and the pressure of being the favorite is weighing them down.  They dominate for stretches, than a whacky bounce, deflection, and the Pens are off to the races and the Caps are too slow to run them down.  I cannot really blame Holtby, but I think he is feeling the pressure too. 

2.  Nothing ever goes right for the Caps in the playoffs.  Call it a curse, call it what you will.  I've never seen worse luck for a professional franchise in all of my years of watching sports. 

3.  The Caps are tight.  Expectations of the fans have filtered onto the team over the years. 

4.  The Pens are loose.  Once you've won one, you play a lot looser, more confident, and not waiting for the hammer to fall like the Caps are.

Not sure I'm even going to watch it tonight.  Tired of the same old shyteshow.  Orioles-Red Sox might be better for me.

As a Pens fan, I sure hope you're right. A short series would be great to keep the team fresh.

But predictions in these match-ups are a tricky business. I wouldn't be so sure the Caps can't take this one tonight.

Good luck in any event. Will be there with my sons--guess who's the designated driver?

They should bring back the format which worked perfectly fine before.  The division winners and then all the other teams by points.  1 vs 8, 2 vs 7 and so on.  Then re-rank the teams in each successive round.  Otherwise, the regular season doesn't mean much.

I really hadn't thought of it in terms of properly "rewarding" the reg season record so yeah you're right.

Posted (edited)

Bang bang play, bad call to eject niskanen.....

Tom Brady effect in NHL it's Crosby ....

Edited by Eastside Terp

Bad call on niskanen.....

Tom Brady effect in NHL it's Crosby ....

So close to being done with the NHL.  Fix playoff format.  Overhaul officiating, and if investigations are needed, do them.  There is something really wrong in this league's officiating...follow the money, it's gonna lead to somewhere smelly.

Posted (edited)

Shattenkirk has not been a positive addition ....

I posted early in the thread that the losing streak had more to do with him joining the club than Burakovsky's injury....

He is killing us in the playoffs as well...

Edited by Eastside Terp

Shattenkirk has not been a positive addition ....

I posted early in the thread that the losing streak had more to do with him joining the club than Burakovsky's injury....

He is killing us in the playoffs as well...

I think you're right.  Trotz said as much too.