• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#21 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,097 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 09:26 AM

Caps on a nice roll, but what is up with the Metro?  Good lord, everyone is streaking!  Good news is that the Caps while technically in 4th place, only 2 pts behind Pitt with 2 games less played, so realistically, they are likely to be in first or tied for first when they do catch up in the games played.

Holtby has been amazing, and getting Oshie and Niskannan back have been huge.  Ovie is playing much better too. 

It's a crying shame that Trotz hasn't won a cup, he's one of the best coaches in the league.  I hope the Caps get him one...

Baby steps.  I hope the Caps can make it to a conference final. 

#22 alienrace

alienrace

Don't run - we are your friends!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,459 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:48 PM

Crazy game tonight!  Sloppy, but fun. 

Metro Division is still rather insane.  Caps got some games in hand, could find themselves in second place by next week if they can stay hot.  Though, that will start with stopping the Blue Jackets 16(!) game winning streak!

The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

#23 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,459 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:22 PM

Tied for second with the Pens.  Metro Division is still red hot at the top, though I think the Rangers are going to eventually fall back some.  Not sure about the Blue Jackets just yet.  They might have blown their load. 

Caps are red hot, and playing well.  Starting to score more, and still playing lock-down defense for the most part.  Aside from one game, Holtby is still on point.  I'm thinking that the Caps and Pens are going to go down to the wire for the division, and probably the Presidents Cup. 

The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

#24 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,162 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:14 PM

Ovi 1000 point .....

35 seconds in against the pens ....
They've got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#25 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,162 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:23 PM

1001 .....
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#26 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,459 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:39 AM

That was an impressive beatdown of the Pens.  Maybe one of the most impressive wins of the year, aside from the shellacking of the BJ's. 

#27 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,459 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:50 PM

Don't look now, but the Caps have the best record in the NHL :D

Domination over some of the league's best teams lately.  Can they do this in May?  Please?

#28 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,097 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:55 AM

11 goals in two games, not bad.

#29 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,162 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:29 PM

This game tonight against pens is crazy .....

Caps just cut it to 1, down 7 6 .....
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

#30 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,459 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:35 AM

Crazy yes, but that was very poorly officiated, and ultimately at the end cost the Caps a road victory. 

Something has got to be done about the officating in the NHL.  Nobody can tell me that there isn't bias towards certain players and teams.  Last night was ridiculously blatant.

#31 ms maggie

ms maggie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,552 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:23 AM

Crazy yes, but that was very poorly officiated, and ultimately at the end cost the Caps a road victory. 

Something has got to be done about the officating in the NHL.  Nobody can tell me that there isn't bias towards certain players and teams.  Last night was ridiculously blatant.

1 penalty against the Caps. 5 against the Pens.

Ok.

#32 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,097 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:06 AM

Both teams were clearly biased against playing defense.

#33 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,459 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:21 AM

1 penalty against the Caps. 5 against the Pens.

Ok.

And the Pens committed about more 5 blatant ones, in front of refs, that they should have been called for.  The Caps played a much cleaner game than the Pens.  Pens got away with murder, because they knew they could.

#34 ms maggie

ms maggie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,552 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:06 PM

Both teams were clearly biased against playing defense.

Ain't that the truth. Know Letang was out but geez. Fun to watch in kind of a train wreck way.

#35 ms maggie

ms maggie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,552 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:10 PM

And the Pens committed about more 5 blatant ones, in front of refs, that they should have been called for. The Caps played a much cleaner game than the Pens. Pens got away with murder, because they knew they could.

Funny. Pens fans think the refs blew calls they should have made against the Caps. Confirmation bias. You see what you want to see.

Or the league is fixed.🙄

#36 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,097 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 07:53 AM

The 5+ goal average had to end some time.

#37 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,459 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:25 AM

The 5+ goal average had to end some time.

Haha yeah, no doubt.  They looked flat out exhausted last night. 

#38 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,097 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 08:13 AM

Back to back 5-0 wins.

#39 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,459 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:57 AM

This team has gone from sputtering, to good, to very good, to great.  Connelly and Eller have transformed the team into what appear to be a practically unstoppable force, along with Kuzy really taking off again, and Oshie finding his groove.  The defense and goaltending are the best in the league, bar none.  They are breaking records, and approaching the dominance of the 91-92 Pittsburgh Penguins.  They aren't just beating people, they are literally bludgeoning them.  I think they said in the last ten games, they've outscored their opponents 45-6.  That is insane...record setting.  Of course, to win a Stanely Cup, you have to have a decent amount of luck.  Last year, they were derailed in game 3 of their series with Pitt when Pittsburgh had about as many lucky breaks as a team could have despite being utterly dominated by the Caps, which turned the series. 

I've been watching hockey since the early 80's, and I don't recall many teams(maybe two ever) that dominated the way the Caps are right now.  ESPN said the only thing that can stop them right now is boredom.  They are that much better than the rest of the league.  Well, hyping it up like this, I've probably jynxed the hell out of them right?  (I mean, I post about the Terps and sure enough they drop two straight that they should have won...grrrr).  But damn...this is exciting to watch.

What I see now is a team that has learned some serious fundamentals that they previously lacked.  You know, last year, they won a lot of games, but it was a lot of close games.  Often, they'd score, and allow a push back right away to let a team back in.  They've progressively gotten better about that, and there are a couple of things that really stand out:

1.)  They consistently win the 1-1 battles for the puck.  They do a terrific job of just out-muscling, out hustling their opponents.  When two players are going for a puck, you can almost bet the Caps come away with it. 

2.)  They have become masterful at passing.  They catch pucks on their skates, something they never used to do very well at all.  Long passes, short passes, tick-tack-toe, they are masters at this, by far best in the league.  The improvement of the 3rd line is something that they desperately needed, and now they have got it.  They can score at any time, with any line.

3.)  They don't over skate and bunch up too much on offense...and it's because they begin their entire plan with defense.  They commit to defense, and pick their opportunities, and surgically slice a team apart when the time is right.  Reminds me an awful lot of the Pengins last year...hmmm...seems they learned something, but really that is all Trotz.

4.)  They intercept a lot of pucks.  Trotz has them playing some seriously great defense, be it pushing the puck outside, stealing it, or, most importantly, doing a great job of disrupting anyone taking the puck into the zone by lifting the stick.  Fundamentally, this is a great defensive team.

5.)  Lastly, goaltending.  Need I say more?  Holtby and Grubauer might not just be the best tandem, they might be the best TWO goalies right now.  If they continue like this into May, the Caps won't need any luck to win the Stanely Cup.

Now watch them go into a freefall since I've posted this ;)

#40 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,162 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:53 AM

They are playing great .....

So and I going to the game on Saturday ....
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users