• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#61 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,136 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:20 AM

Nice bounce back after Friday's debacle.

#62 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,180 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:54 PM

Beautiful pk goal by shatterkirk.....

Rotated with ovi and took the shot from ovis spot .....

I believe that's his first as a cap ....
They've got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#63 alienrace

alienrace

Don't run - we are your friends!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,468 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 02:45 PM

I know Shatt had one that they eventually took away and gave to Backy or someone. 

That was one helluva dominant performance against a red hot, solid Leafs team.  They were in second place in the Atlantic before losing that game, and I had it chalked up as a loss, but the Caps made them look like they didn't belong in the same rink.  That was just ridiculously dominant, as the Caps have been(other than the throwaway game against the Yotes) since the kid(Burakovsky) got back.

The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

#64 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,136 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:13 AM

So another President's trophy.  Will they actually make it past the second round of the playoffs?

#65 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,468 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:05 AM

So another President's trophy.  Will they actually make it past the second round of the playoffs?

I like their chances.  As much as I feel like they'll choke YET AGAIN, I certainly wouldn't bet against them.  They are heads and tails the best team in the East, it's not even remotely close.  If there is one team that you could see stopping them, it would be Columbus, if Bobrovsky gets hot.  But the Caps beat them twice in the last couple of weeks, at home and away, and though the score was close in the first game, the second game was fairly dominated by the Caps(at Columbus).  Pittsburgh just lost LeTang for the season, and Malkin has been banged up pretty good.  They've been pretty average the last couple of weeks, and I think they get bounced in the first round quite possibly. 

The Caps are the #1 defensive team, and the #3 offensive team(and that is pretty astonishing for a strong defensive team to also score that much given the style of play that you employ to get a high defensive ranking).  There is a lot of firepower on this team, and it's pretty balanced(Ovie with 34, Oshie 33, Backstrom 23).  Don't forget the other guys who can score too, especially Kuznetzov, who seems to be coming into his own age of stardom.  This team is super deep, and 3rd and 4th lines are really good too.  Also, Holtbeast.  Best goalie in the NHL, and it's not that close.  No question the Caps have the best goalie tandem.

Like I said, nothing ever surprises me in the NHL.  You need literally half luck, half skill to get far in the playoffs.  That said, if they lost in the second round, it wouldn't surprise me, but I'd definitely not bet against them.  Not this year.

The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

#66 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,180 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 07:02 AM

I like their chances. As much as I feel like they'll choke YET AGAIN, I certainly wouldn't bet against them. They are heads and tails the best team in the East, it's not even remotely close. If there is one team that you could see stopping them, it would be Columbus, if Bobrovsky gets hot. But the Caps beat them twice in the last couple of weeks, at home and away, and though the score was close in the first game, the second game was fairly dominated by the Caps(at Columbus). Pittsburgh just lost LeTang for the season, and Malkin has been banged up pretty good. They've been pretty average the last couple of weeks, and I think they get bounced in the first round quite possibly.

The Caps are the #1 defensive team, and the #3 offensive team(and that is pretty astonishing for a strong defensive team to also score that much given the style of play that you employ to get a high defensive ranking). There is a lot of firepower on this team, and it's pretty balanced(Ovie with 34, Oshie 33, Backstrom 23). Don't forget the other guys who can score too, especially Kuznetzov, who seems to be coming into his own age of stardom. This team is super deep, and 3rd and 4th lines are really good too. Also, Holtbeast. Best goalie in the NHL, and it's not that close. No question the Caps have the best goalie tandem.

Like I said, nothing ever surprises me in the NHL. You need literally half luck, half skill to get far in the playoffs. That said, if they lost in the second round, it wouldn't surprise me, but I'd definitely not bet against them. Not this year.

The depth failure is what killed them last year .....

Kuzy disappeared the last month ...
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#67 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,468 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:25 AM

The depth failure is what killed them last year .....

Kuzy disappeared the last month ...

Exactly.  They were talking about this on NHL Network.  Kuzy is on fire right now, he's becoming a superstar in his own right.  Also, TJ Oshie has really gelled and is playing the best hockey of his career.  The depth, and the defense is a huge, marked difference from last year.  The come into the playoffs on a roll, unlike last year where they wrapped things up so early that they just kind of lollygagged into the playoffs and never could find the fire from earlier in the season.  This year they are playing the best right now, and hopefully they don't run into a hot goalie.  Bobrovsky is the one goalie that worries me.  Not worried much about Rask or Fluery/Murray.  Murray is good, but at least last year, from what I saw, the Pens do a great job of protecting him. 

Edited by alienrace, 10 April 2017 - 08:36 AM.

#68 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,468 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:39 AM

Leafs in the first round.  Probably the best matchup they could have gotten, though they have dominated Boston the last few years as well.  Leafs are a nice story, and Babcock has a ton of playoff experience, but judging by the game last week in Toronto, the Leafs aren't in the same league as the Caps.  They're young, and have a great young play in Austin Mathews, but they don't have the defense to stop the Caps.  Caps are #2 in goals scored, #1 in goals allowed.  They are 4 lines deep and are going to likely light Anderson up.  I'd be shocked if it goes more than 5 games.

#69 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,136 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:26 AM

And so it begins.  All I ask is that they don't get eliminated by Pittsburgh.  I have a new boss who's a Penguins fan...

#70 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,468 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:22 AM

And so it begins.  All I ask is that they don't get eliminated by Pittsburgh.  I have a new boss who's a Penguins fan...

I'd rather them face Pittsburgh and beat them.  They are pretty beaten up, and while Murray is good, he's not Bobrovsky, and part of Murray's being good is that the Pens do a terrific job of protecting him. 

#71 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,180 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:33 PM

Tough 1st 10 minutes of the playoffs...
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

#72 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,180 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:21 PM

Game winner from the 4th line, no goals from the 1st ....

Good win but dodged a bullet today from a younger team that hustled more .....
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

#73 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,136 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:59 AM

Game winner from the 4th line, no goals from the 1st ....

Good win but dodged a bullet today from a younger team that hustled more .....

First period defense was horrible.  And I'm worried about the Caps ability to handle fast teams (like Pittsburgh in the playoffs last year).

But it was an awesome goal by Wilson.

#74 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,468 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:12 AM

Yeah, that first period was bad defense and puck handling in their own zone.  Couldn't tell if it was rust or jitters or both, but after that, they dominated.  Andersen kept them in it with some ridiculous saves(then again, Holtby had a few game savers of his own). 

Toronto is the youngest and one of the fastest in the league, and played with no fear.  Babcock threw some wrinkles at the Caps that took adjusting to.  They were really making it hard for the Caps to break out, but after the first period, the Caps looked much better and were starting to control the puck, tempo, and game.  Great adjustments by Trotz, and I hear Justin Williams laid into the team during the first intermission. 

I think the Caps can handle fast teams, they are pretty fast themselves, but they are also a heavy team, and sometimes they take some chances and push hard on the puck and miss the hit, or miss the puck, and things get behind them.  Seems like they can be dominating, and then one slip and the other team gets a breakaway.  But then again, they are the best defensive team in the NHL, so we might be expecting a bit much, lol. 

Last night was likely the best chance the Leafs had at stealing one, catching the Caps rusty and off guard, but I don't see them having a real chance in the series. (watch, having said that it goes six or seven, lol).

#75 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,180 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:08 PM

Toronto won't back down .....

20 minutes to tie it and hold home ice advantage .....
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

#76 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,180 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:06 PM

Exciting 3rd period and OT again ....
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

#77 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,180 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:11 PM

On to 2nd OT.....

Expending a lot of energy in 1st 2 games of what hopefully is a long playoff run ....

1st seed against the last seed is not supposed to be this tough but nobody told this young team that ......
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

#78 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,468 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:57 AM

Now they are in a fight.

#79 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,136 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 05:58 AM

On to 2nd OT.....

Expending a lot of energy in 1st 2 games of what hopefully is a long playoff run ....

1st seed against the last seed is not supposed to be this tough but nobody told this young team that ......

Meanwhile Pitt is up 3-0. 

#80 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,468 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:50 AM

Meanwhile Pitt is up 3-0. 

The one thing I've learned about hockey, especially playoff hockey is, things rarely go as expected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users