Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheGuru

Baltimore Area Basketball 2016-17

810 posts in this topic

Calvert Hall's Varsity Basketball schedule was released recently. The 30-game regular season includes the Sleepy Thompson Invitational at St. Stephen's & St. Agnes School, a four game Holiday Classic (teams TBA), games against Baltimore County powers Perry Hall & New Town and CHC rivals in the MIAA and BCL.

Calvert Hall returns standouts Brendan Adams (CG), Josh Cornish (SG), Cameron Briggs (SF), Peter Illardo (F) and Logan Curtis (G) and welcomes two new forwards in Justin Lewis (6'7") & Montez McNeil (6''6"). CHC also returns coaches Rodney Berry and David Gately.

On paper, MSJ will be considered league favorites with Darryl Morsell and Jalen Smith but CHC, Palotti and SFA will challenge the Gaels for league supremacy.

Calvert Hall's Varsity Basketball schedule was released recently. The 30-game regular season includes the Sleepy Thompson Invitational at St. Stephen's & St. Agnes School, a four game Holiday Classic (teams TBA), games against Baltimore County powers Perry Hall & New Town and CHC rivals in the MIAA and BCL.

Calvert Hall returns standouts Brendan Adams (CG), Josh Cornish (SG), Cameron Briggs (SF), Peter Illardo (F) and Logan Curtis (G) and welcomes two new forwards in Justin Lewis (6'7") & Montez McNeil (6''6"). CHC also returns coaches Rodney Berry and David Gately.

On paper, MSJ will be considered league favorites with Darryl Morsell and Jalen Smith but CHC, Palotti and SFA will challenge the Gaels for league supremacy.

So CHC got McNeil, I had heard he was going to Loyola.

Guru you left out John Carroll

Ok. Montez Mathis transferred in from Oak Hill to team up with Immanuel Quickley. Don't know what else they have.

What about Glenelg Country

Longpre returns. Any idea who else they have, JBMad?

Just found out that Myles Douglas left Paul VI and is back in MD at Aberdeen, Marvin Price is now at Patterson (from DeMatha) and Andre Rafus returned from NJ to play for Herman Harried at Lake Clifton.

SFA also got two transfers from Stephen Decatur and one from North Point but lost Gerard Mungo to Patterson. Finally, GIlman got a "real deal" wing from the U.K. named Ciaran Sandy. He has a chance to be the best ever at GIlman. Better than Evan Winchester and Tyler Foster. At least that's how GA will probably spin the addition of the British transfer.

Should be a very good year for Baltimore area basketball.

No that's why I was asking

I figured Loyola basketball won't be occupying your time so you could research GCS yourself. Lol!

Just found out that Myles Douglas left Paul VI and is back in MD at Aberdeen, Marvin Price is now at Patterson (from DeMatha) and Andre Rafus returned from NJ to play for Herman Harried at Lake Clifton.

SFA also got two transfers from Stephen Decatur and one from North Point but lost Gerard Mungo to Patterson. Finally, GIlman got a "real deal" wing from the U.K. named Ciaran Sandy. He has a chance to be the best ever at GIlman. Better than Evan Winchester and Tyler Foster. At least that's how GA will probably spin the addition of the British transfer.

Should be a very good year for Baltimore area basketball.

Did little Gerard even play last year at SFA? I know he was at the school but I don't know if he played. Good to see Patterson with Price and Mungo, kids are the real deal. Patterson is going to be TOUGH with them.

Shonuff would know better than I, but I believe Gilman has two really good ninth graders as well.

I figured Loyola basketball won't be occupying your time so you could research GCS yourself. Lol!

Man I gotta do everything myself, I got you your enrollment numbers you wanted

Did little Gerard even play last year at SFA? I know he was at the school but I don't know if he played. Good to see Patterson with Price and Mungo, kids are the real deal. Patterson is going to be TOUGH with them.

Shonuff would know better than I, but I believe Gilman has two really good ninth graders as well.

Rafus at LC is impressive, too.

Man I gotta do everything myself, I got you your enrollment numbers you wanted

I've seen you allude to this more than once, as if a decline in CHC's enrollment would make you happy, which is a bit odd. But, I was told from a pretty good source that CHC's Class of 2020 is north of 300 students. I'm curious if you've heard differently. From an athletics standpoint, I know CHC believes that they have strong freshman classes for football, soccer, basketball and the area's #1 class for lacrosse.

Don't care if CHC has more students, that's not what that was about. GURU saying that other schools have advantage was just saying CHC has the advantage of higher enrollment. I do believe that they have upper of 300 for the class of 2020 but I was told by someone in the know that enrollment was down for a couple of years

Don't care if CHC has more students, that's not what that was about. GURU saying that other schools have advantage was just saying CHC has the advantage of higher enrollment. I do believe that they have upper of 300 for the class of 2020 but I was told by someone in the know that enrollment was down for a couple of years

You're putting the cart before the horse. GA always makes the point that CHC should dominate the league because they have the highest enrollment. I counter that schools like GIlman, McDonogh and now SFA use money to take away a larger school's so-called advantage in population. Please get your facts straight, JBMad.

The best example of this is GIlman fading Into obscurity once top players left with Poggi's money and "25" transfers went to SFA and made them the prohibitive favorite to win the MIAA.

Edited by TheGuru

I hear Dulaney will win the title this year.  Friend of mine says they have the best player in the state.    

Back to basketball. Here's my way to early MIAA/BCL order of finish:

MSJ

JC

CHC

Pallotti

McDonogh

GCS

SFA

Mount Carmel

Goretti

Gilman

Spalding

Boys Latin

Loyola

Edited by TheGuru

I hear Dulaney will win the title this year. Friend of mine says they have the best player in the state.

It depends on who they put around 6-6 freshman G Che Evans. Definitely looking forward to seeing him.

Longpre committed to St Josephs 2 weeks ago, while Dre Perry (Poly) committed to Temple.

I agree with Guru, Dulaney will need to add pieces around the freshman, as he alone certainly won't guarantee a 4A title.

Rafus may have the biggest impact of all the transfers, and with him at Lake, the re-load at Patterson, the City League gets even more interesting. Poly, after getting side-swiped by Woodlawn in last years playoffs, looks to earn its first state title, having made its first and only Final 4 appearance in '13.

The North Point transfer to St Frances, Travis Williams, is a Howard commit. The 2 Decatur transfers doesn't include the Seahawks Wofford commit, Keve Aluma.

In HoCo, there will be no state favorites. Long Reach, who returns its top 2 players, and Centennial (3 Final 4's in the last 6 years - 3A state title in '15), should be the 2 slight favorites, with Glenelg and Reservoir filling in the top 4. Oakland Mills lost their entire starting 5 from a year ago, and will be a work in progress. Hammond also lost its top 4 players.

Back to basketball. Here's my way to early MIAA/BCL order of finish:

MSJ

JC

CHC

Pallotti

McDonogh

GCS

SFA

Mount Carmel

Goretti

Gilman

Spalding

Boys Latin

Loyola

Who is even coaching McD? They got some good young talent and can shoot the lights out but wonder if they can bring it together.

I inquired about the Gilman transfer(didn't even know he was there until you told me although I saw him at the CHC game) they said, watch out!! Apparently the kid is on the UK junior team and had everybody after him to play in the states. Picked Gilman because his Aunt is some doctor here in America and has one of her practices in the area. They said he will definitely be one of the best players in the state this year. Won't matter, because Gilman has Daly as a coach still. Why the hell didn't they hire Gately after McD let him go is mind boogling. Also heard Diego wanted to leave Dunbar and coach there.

Longpre committed to St Josephs 2 weeks ago, while Dre Perry (Poly) committed to Temple.

I agree with Guru, Dulaney will need to add pieces around the freshman, as he alone certainly won't guarantee a 4A title.

Rafus may have the biggest impact of all the transfers, and with him at Lake, the re-load at Patterson, the City League gets even more interesting. Poly, after getting side-swiped by Woodlawn in last years playoffs, looks to earn its first state title, having made its first and only Final 4 appearance in '13.

The North Point transfer to St Frances, Travis Williams, is a Howard commit. The 2 Decatur transfers doesn't include the Seahawks Wofford commit, Keve Aluma.

In HoCo, there will be no state favorites. Long Reach, who returns its top 2 players, and Centennial (3 Final 4's in the last 6 years - 3A state title in '15), should be the 2 slight favorites, with Glenelg and Reservoir filling in the top 4. Oakland Mills lost their entire starting 5 from a year ago, and will be a work in progress. Hammond also lost its top 4 players.

Well the one Decatur transfer to SFA is Henry, the football player who's hurt. He won't be playing for them this year.