7 replies to this topic

#1 flyboy56

flyboy56

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,796 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:40 PM

http://www.foxbusine...simulation.html

There is a growing school of thought in the scientific community that we are all livinginside a computer simulation designed by a super-advanced civilization. This is not some fringe idea dreamed up by a weed-smoking wackadoodle in a psychedelic VW van. This is mainstream scientific theory.

The debate moderator, famed astrophysicist Neil DeGrasse Tyson, said the likelihood that you, me and the universe we think we inhabit are not real “may be very high.” Cosmologist Max Tegmark of MIT suggested that what we perceive to be the laws of this universe are simply the rules of the program our virtual characters exist in.

#2 EL-FLIPPO

EL-FLIPPO

School & Street Educated

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Doodad Nebula

Posted 21 October 2016 - 08:13 PM

In a similar vein, check out the first episode of Black Mirror (Season 3). It just came out on Netflix today. The theme examines people obsessed with the virtual reality of internet users continually seeking the approval of literal strangers.

The "living inside a computer simulation" described above is addressed in a universal social system where everyone rates their daily social interactions with everyone else. Those who "merit" higher ratings receive more social privileges - i.e., "the rules of the program our virtual characters exist in."

Edited by EL-FLIPPO, 21 October 2016 - 08:14 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Give not that which is holy unto the dogs,
neither cast ye your pearls before swine,
lest they trample them under their feet
.â€
~
Matthew 7:6 ~

#3 dogstarman

dogstarman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,918 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:21 PM

It is in NO WAY a "mainstream scientific theory". 

It is a provocative idea that certainly deserves further discussion at scientist cocktail parties and perhaps some effort to keep an open mind to the possibility. 

But one of the most basic modus operandi of scientists is known as "Occam's razor". You focus on the most simple explanations FIRST before pursuing more elaborate, unlikely theories.

http://www.foxbusine...simulation.html

... This is mainstream scientific theory....

#4 zenwalk

zenwalk

Pundit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,828 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 08:34 PM

Existence is nuts about mathematics. Thomas Aquinas even used the existence of mathematics as proof of God. Seen from simulation theory one presumes this is a function of code. One of the points Musk made is the evidence of how fast computer simulations have evolved in just a few decades from Pong to whatever.  Consider also that AI is going to be with us in less than 20 years.  At some point it is not unreasonable to assume consciousness will be a functionable through programming. I have to agree with Musk. If humans can make it past our present crossroad into the far future it would seem pretty egotistic on humanity's part to think that our "greatness" couldn't play out in some advanced Sim City adaption. Besides, as the Buddhists and Hindus already know, life is an illusion.

"A screaming comes across the sky. . ." -- Thomas Pynchon

#5 EL-FLIPPO

EL-FLIPPO

School & Street Educated

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Doodad Nebula

Posted 22 October 2016 - 11:23 PM

Besides, as the Buddhists and Hindus already know, life is an illusion.

Eastworld... :o

Edited by EL-FLIPPO, 22 October 2016 - 11:27 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Give not that which is holy unto the dogs,
neither cast ye your pearls before swine,
lest they trample them under their feet
.â€
~
Matthew 7:6 ~

#6 Bartman

Bartman

General Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,727 posts
  • LocationBaltimore City

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:29 PM

Liked playing with Sim City 3K but it's older 16bit graphics won't run on my new PC. Didn't care for the Newer versions of the game after that one. Kinda liked Tyson at first but now I think he's a bit of a Blowhard on some things. I'd just as soon listen to/watch Scott Manley on YouTube.

Edited by Bartman, 24 October 2016 - 12:58 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Don't try to tell me that what I see with my own two eyes ISN'T what I'm seeing with my own two eyes!

#7 georjec2

georjec2

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,842 posts
  • LocationBaltimore Md

Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:43 AM

Y'all are scaring me.

:(

:)

#8 Bartman

Bartman

General Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,727 posts
  • LocationBaltimore City

Posted 08 November 2016 - 05:55 AM

Y'all are scaring me.
:(

:)

What was Scary but Funny was in Sim City 3K I had a Fusion power plant up in one corner that I overloaded and it Blew Up! The game put a whole bunch of Radiation Symbols up in that corner of the map and I couldn't use any of that area anymore. I thought it was kinda neat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Don't try to tell me that what I see with my own two eyes ISN'T what I'm seeing with my own two eyes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users