• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 Flu

Flu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 08:30 PM

I'm looking forward to the new season. Hoping Melo gets back to his freshmen self and forgets about that sophomore year. Excited to see all the new guys and see how well they gel. Huerter is supposed to be lights out from the three. Want to see if Brantley and Nickens have improved. Praying that Dodd's hands have softened up and he's actually ready for the ball in the paint. 

Maybe since the expectations aren't so high this year we'll fly under the radar a little bit. 

:cool: 

Flu

What is a veteran? This is the best definition I've found:

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount 'up to and including my life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer can conceptualize it."

#2 alienrace

alienrace

Don't run - we are your friends!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,383 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 08:50 AM

I think they'll be in the mix in the B1G, maybe finish 3rd or 4th, and be a fringe Top 25 team.  They should get better towards the end of the season, and they should get a 3rd consecutive NCAA berth.  A LOT hinges on Melo returning to form though.

The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

#3 TheGuru

TheGuru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,678 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 01:09 PM

I think they'll be in the mix in the B1G, maybe finish 3rd or 4th, and be a fringe Top 25 team.  They should get better towards the end of the season, and they should get a 3rd consecutive NCAA berth.  A LOT hinges on Melo returning to form though.

Melo, by all reports, has lost weight which has increased his quickness and leaping ability.  He'll also be able to play off the ball with FR Anthony Cowan at the point.  Cowan has been said to have forced Melo and Jaylen Brantley to improve on their ball handling due to his defensive quickness.  I think this season's team will be a more cohesive unit than last year's squad.  Kevin Huerter, Ivan Bender and Justin Jackson will surprise, IMO.  Based on the word that's coming out of practice I think the starting lineup should be Cowan at the point, Melo at the 2, Dodd in the middle (until Checko is healthy), Gill at one forward and Huerter at the other with Bender as 6th man.  Bender's said to be the best passing Terps big man since Len Elmore.  The second unit would consist of Brantley, Wiley, Checko, Jackson and Nickens. 6-9 FR forwards Joshua Tomaic and Micah Thomas may only see the court in blowouts this year. 

Edited by TheGuru, 31 October 2016 - 01:10 PM.

#4 Stoneman

Stoneman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 01:19 PM

I cant put my finger on it, but for whatever reason I feel a little more excited for this season than I did the last.  I like the young talent Turgeon has brought in - and am perfectly willing to let it gel over the course of the year.

Guru - you really hearing that Cowan will start at the point?  I'm surprised to hear that, as I figured he'd be Melo's primary backup and also get some time at PG with Melo at the 2.  But, I'm not at practice every day and will trust that Turg and his staff know what they are doing.  Re: Cowan - i watched him play a few times last year for SJC - he single-handedly killed DM in one game - and looking forward to the speed, defense and scoring ability he brings to UMD.

Go Terps!

#5 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,383 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 09:05 AM

Ranked #21 in USA Today, #25 in AP.  Seems about right to me.

The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

#6 demopublican

demopublican

Putin's Cuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,397 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 November 2016 - 11:49 AM

I cant put my finger on it, but for whatever reason I feel a little more excited for this season than I did the last.  I like the young talent Turgeon has brought in - and am perfectly willing to let it gel over the course of the year.

Guru - you really hearing that Cowan will start at the point?  I'm surprised to hear that, as I figured he'd be Melo's primary backup and also get some time at PG with Melo at the 2.  But, I'm not at practice every day and will trust that Turg and his staff know what they are doing.  Re: Cowan - i watched him play a few times last year for SJC - he single-handedly killed DM in one game - and looking forward to the speed, defense and scoring ability he brings to UMD.

Go Terps!

Melo always seemed more like a natural 2 to me. Could be really good for the team.

"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#7 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,006 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:51 PM

Down by 6 to GTOWN 30 secs left ....
They've got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#8 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,006 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:56 PM

Down by 3 with the ball ....
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#9 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,006 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:58 PM

Down by 1 ....
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

#10 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,006 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:02 PM

Tied ....
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

#11 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,006 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:03 PM

Big win....

Wow ....
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

#12 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,668 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:58 AM

These young guys are good now, in two years they're going to be a powerhouse.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#13 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,383 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:18 AM

These young guys are good now, in two years they're going to be a powerhouse.

There is definitely some talent, but their offense is sort of a mess at the moment.  Turgeon still trying to figure out how he wants to run it with all of these new parts.  They are getting their mettle tested though in some tight games.  Getting Chekovsky back is huge though, but he's gotta learn to stay out of foul trouble.  He could be a real force inside this year if he can manage that...he's a great defender and with that size should be able to help build and inside out game.  Gill and Dodd need to play(shoot) better. 

Trimble though, has been a beast since the start of the season.  It's clear now that last year his injuries really hampered him.  This is probably his last year, so I hope that the new parts gel enough by March that they can make a run.

#14 Manny

Manny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,342 posts
  • LocationEastern Shore of Maryland

Posted 24 November 2016 - 05:55 PM

I goto 6-10 games a year. I had tickets to Towson, but I gave those to my nephew. I am going to the Oklahoma St game on December 3rd.

#15 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,006 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 08:27 PM

Terps getting spanked early by Pitt .....

Cut it from down 26 in second half to 15 with 8 left .....

Tough row to hoe but playing hard ....
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

#16 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,006 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 08:42 PM

Cut it to 8 and then missed front end ....

Urgg...
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

#17 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,383 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:49 AM

Kind of one of those games that despite losing, it'll help them later on.  First half, couldn't get anything to fall.  Second half, furious run to cut it to 8 and then went cold again in last couple of minutes.  You can see the potential of the freshmen though, this team will get better as the year goes on. 

#18 Manny

Manny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:52 AM

This team finds a way to win in the end.  OKST has a good team.  This was a fun one to watch.

#19 Bawlmerian

Bawlmerian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:40 AM

I thought that had that one lost. Amazing comeback. What would happen if these guys starting hitting some shots and didn't have to come back every time?
A warm sunspot Spring welcome to all of our new O'Malley sycophant posters. I guess the re-election campaign has begun. :)

#20 Manny

Manny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:29 PM

I thought that had that one lost. Amazing comeback. What would happen if these guys starting hitting some shots and didn't have to come back every time?

I am hoping this bunch clicks once conference play starts. I really think they will.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users