Flu

Maryland Basketball 2016-2017

102 posts in this topic

Trimble and co. played a whale of a game against Northwestern. Onto Wisconsin Sunday - huge game!

That was a really impressive display.  Trimble was a monster, the freshman played with icewater in their veins.  THIS is the team that looked like one that could make a deep March run, not the one that melted down against Purdue and got out-hustled by Penn State.  I really like that when NW started making a push at the end, the freshman, particularly Cowan, really helped contribute to that nice "stiffarm" to stop the bleeding.  You can see something in Cowan's eyes, he's got real competitive moxy.  Jackson hit a big shot, and Heurter made some great decisions. 

Sunday's game is pretty much for all of the B1G marbles.  Winner is going to take the B1G for sure.

I've never seen Melo play like that, with some added pizz and vinegar. He was staring down NW players, the bench, the fans...I liked it. He needs to keep that going.

That said, I don't know what to expect from this team come March. They've played a very weak schedule. They're prone to letting games get away from them after building up decent leads. Once they face some decent competition in the second round, I think it's very possible they get bounced.

Playing well against, and beating Wisconsin, would be a big indicator of what this team is capable of.

Edited by Pickle20

Wisconsin took a horrible loss against Michigan.  Terps might get a win there, and Koenig is likely out, or not 100%.  It's ripe, but they gotta pick the low hanging fruit.  So far they've been pretty spectacular on the road for some reason.

Actually, if the Terps win against the Badgers, and win out, that would put them at what, 27-4 going into the tourney?  If they go 29-5, or thereabouts, they are gonna be in the top 10 national rankings, and it's going to be hard to keep them from getting a 2 or 3 seed, RPI/BPI be damned.

But, that's a lot of winning, starting with beating the vulnerable Badgers on the road.  Koenig or not, it will be really difficult.

Melo is usually a sure thing on foul shots, but his back-to-back misses on those 1 and 1's really hurt.

They were back breakers, really turned the game when it looked like they had the momentum.  Then Turgeon sits him for the final four minutes because he was "tired"?  That's just odd to me.

Losing to Minnesota was bad.  Not that Minnesota was a bad team, they are pretty darn good, but the Terps weakness on inside defense was wide open.  Losing Cheko has really hurt them.  Also, the Terps just don't have a really reliable inside scoring threat. 

That said, if you shoot as poorly from 3 point land as the Terps did, you're gonna lose, period.

They look like a tired team that has hit a wall. Not surprising considering the freshman on this team.

They'll probably get into the dance as a 7-8 seed and get bounced in the first weekend.

Oh well. Try to get better next year but I am beginning to lose faith in Turgeon's ability to coach up his players.

I take the blame... pretty much as soon as I bought in to this being a team with massive upside that I expected to even improve down the stretch... they've gone the opposite direction.  That Michigan State finale will be telling I think... Izzo's teams always seem to noticeably improve as the season goes on.  Maryland's teams often seem to trend the opposite way. 

In great position for a double-bye in the conference tourney... with the tournament virtually in your own place... and they're on the verge of letting it all slip away. Could be brutal...

I take blame too, I was on the "sky's the limit" bandwagon too.  I'm pretty astonished at how quickly they've slid, but it's the same thing as last year, and a lot rests on Melo, as well as the freshmen seemingly hitting a wall physically.  Losing Chekovsky hurt bad too, real bad. 

Finished reg season ranked #25.  I guess my initial instincts of them being a fringe top 25 team with the potential to make a little deeper run were pretty damn spot on :D

That shot might have put Melo into the NBA, but ideally you'd like to see him stay another year.  I think at best he's a second round pick, and maybe he could play into the first round for his senior season.

Finished reg season ranked #25.  I guess my initial instincts of them being a fringe top 25 team with the potential to make a little deeper run were pretty damn spot on :D

That shot might have put Melo into the NBA, but ideally you'd like to see him stay another year.  I think at best he's a second round pick, and maybe he could play into the first round for his senior season.

Eh...I think he could go to Europe or Asia or something. Not good enough to even come off the bench in the NBA. My $0.02

Eh...I think he could go to Europe or Asia or something. Not good enough to even come off the bench in the NBA. My $0.02

Looks a little small to play the PG at the NBA level

If i were him stay get my name a little more out there wouldnt leave early