Flu

Maryland Basketball 2016-2017

102 posts in this topic

I thought I saw Lunardi say last night that he thinks seven B1G teams get in.

If the Big 10 somehow manages to have 7 teams invited to the big dance, it should thank its lucky stars.

Because the conference is notably weak this year, particularly for upper tier teams.

Heard Izzo whing about the lack of respect for B10.Well, it doesn't deserve a lot of respect this season. Hoosiers took Iowa out of the picture and will have to win b10T to dance.

The downward slide continues ....

You are allowed to pass the ball fellows ....

If they had a big man that could dominate inside (boards and scoring) for stretches, I think a final four trip would be a strong possibility.

If they had a big man that could dominate inside (boards and scoring) for stretches, I think a final four trip would be a strong possibility.

Last night they were beat by a team with a scrappy little point guard that played like their coach used to play .....

For all his press clippinggs, melo should dominate games and make things happen but we play like a bunch of individuals,not a team like they did .....

So many bad possessions. What a difference between the two offenses last night. NW consistently moved the ball in closer to the basket and got good shots. Terps just passed the ball around around the perimeter looking for an open long shot or an occasional drive to the basket. Relying on outside shooting all night and not having an alternative plan when the shots aren't going in won't win many games. 

So many bad possessions. What a difference between the two offenses last night. NW consistently moved the ball in closer to the basket and got good shots. Terps just passed the ball around around the perimeter looking for an open long shot or an occasional drive to the basket. Relying on outside shooting all night and not having an alternative plan when the shots aren't going in won't win many games.

Yep, like I said, they don't have anyone out there running the offense .....

A 6 seed?

How? I don't get some of these.

Big Ten Seeds:

Purdue - 4

Minnesota - 5

Maryland - 6

Michigan - 7

Wisconsin & Northwestern - 8

Michigan State - 9

(NIT: Iowa 1, Illinois 2, Indiana 3)

The Terps should thank their lucky stars for that 6 seed.

I can't help but think the selection committee read their pick upside down.

The Terps should thank their lucky stars for that 6 seed.

I can't help but think the selection committee read their pick upside down.

They corrected their mistake by giving the Lady Terps a 3 seed in the same region as UConn.

A 3 seed for #4 ranked, 30 win, conference regular season and tournament winner.  Wow.

I thought the exact same thing, Thirteen. The committee did the Lady Terps zero favors.

Men got a gift and women got screwed .....

One and DONE!

Turgeon's teams keep collapsing down the stretch.

Posted (edited)

The Terps sucked tonight and for the last 2-3 week of the season. This is a terrible loss to a team that was struggling worse than Maryland. Too many missed layups. Huerter missed at least six layups. Dodd missed a couple. Bender 1 or two. Trimble missed at least 2. That's 36 points they could have had on and 1 shots. They shot free throws poorly.

The Terps season was a mirage. The Big10 was terrible this season. The Terps had not one big out of conference win. I think Melo comes back after this stinker. He needs Bruno Fernando or Fernando Bruno to be the second coming of Joe Smith next season! Darryl Morsell is not a difference maker from what I've seen over the last four seasons in HS. He won't be better than Dion Wiley and Wiley is trash.

I'm thankful for the three freshman. Justin Jackson redeemed himself tonight after struggling late in the season. Cowan was no where to be found tonight but has a bright future ahead of him. Huerter has greater potential but he has to hit the weight room and get stronger. Coach Turgeon needs to get better players in the class of 2018. Hopelfully, Cekovsky stays healthy all next season and provides a nice inside presence.

Now I can cheer for my alma mater, WVU. Let's go, Mountaineers!

Edited by TheGuru

Mount St. Mary's kept things interesting against Villanova for more than a half, but reality eventually set in. Still, they acquitted themselves pretty well.

Villanova didn't score a point for the first five minutes of the game, but even though the Mount had some good looks at the basket, they were only able to go up by five. Had they converted some of those early opportunities, they could have made things a lot more uncomfortable for the Wildcats.

Still no point guard .....

Pathetic......

They were really bad the last month .....

This team was picked to finish 10th in the conference.  Remember that.

Two good players coming in next year.  Melo probably staying I would think. 

The team's fortune's changed when Cheko got hurt.  They just didn't have enough inside presence to run their offense or defense. 

Turgeon's stock keeps dropping.

He can recruit but can't coach a lick.

Check out MD's second half point differential in the second half of this year. Pathetic.

Check out MD's second half point differential in the second half of this year. Pathetic.

I am definitely in the camp of Turgeon is a much better recruiter than coach. 

But, this team exceeded expectations, so it's hard to put a lot of blame on him, this was overall a good coaching job.  A lot of what went wrong, aside from not being able to effectively run their offense and defend inside due to personel, was that the freshman players were making freshman mistakes, especially in the second half, and especially when playing with leads.

The three starting freshmen are going to be great players for the program.  Heurter has serious star potential. 

I'm with Pickle and Alien on Turgeon recruits better than he coaches.

I'm with Pickle and Alien on Turgeon recruits better than he coaches.

Wasnt excited about the hire when the terps were in the ACC

This isnt A&M

I agree. He is not taking this program to the potential it has.

Turgeon's teams keep collapsing down the stretch.

For sure. It is a glaring problem