#41 alienrace

alienrace

Don't run - we are your friends!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,383 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:37 AM

What's the ceiling for this team?

Ceiling?  I gotta tell you, watching this team evolve and come together this season has been something to behold.  They went from a team that looked greener than a one-eyed bullfrog to a team that seems to have major talent, depth, and the heart of a lion(starts with Trimble).  The one thing they've had consistently all year long is the ability to reach down and win close games.  Aside from the slip-up early on against Nebraska, they've mowed through the B1G, and now they will get tested against Purdue and Wisconsin. 

Ceiling?  If they keep improving at this rate(they are a much better team already than I thought they'd be at the end of the year), there is no ceiling...there is no ceiling - they'd be a Final Four team, IMO.

The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

#42 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,939 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:25 AM

The nice thing to see (obviously) is more than one or two guys are showing the ability to step up and produce in crunch time virtually every single game.  It's not just waiting for Trimble alone, or Melo and maybe one other guy.  Melo might get on a roll, cool off, and Cowan makes some big plays / shots.  Or Jackson.  Or Huerter.  Or someone else... they're all contributing.  Truly a full team effort these days...

"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#43 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:40 AM

I'm not trying to make premature comparisons, but my all-time favorite Terp, maybe favorite sports figure of all, is Juan Dixon. What Dixon had was just plain heart, refuse to lose. Trimble probably has greater athletic gifts than Dixon, though I think Juan was a more consistent shooter. but what I'm seeing is that when the game is right down to it, Trimble wants the ball and he generally does the necessary thing and often something amazing. From this point the games in general get bigger and bigger until we get to elimination time. We'll just see if what Melo is showing now will continue, or even get better.

#44 Bawlmerian

Bawlmerian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 06:43 AM

I'm not trying to make premature comparisons, but my all-time favorite Terp, maybe favorite sports figure of all, is Juan Dixon. What Dixon had was just plain heart, refuse to lose. Trimble probably has greater athletic gifts than Dixon, though I think Juan was a more consistent shooter. but what I'm seeing is that when the game is right down to it, Trimble wants the ball and he generally does the necessary thing and often something amazing. From this point the games in general get bigger and bigger until we get to elimination time. We'll just see if what Melo is showing now will continue, or even get better.

Good call.  And I agree about that team and Juan being my all time favorite.  The thing Juan had that Trimble does not is Steve Blake.  Blake was a solid PG and allowed Juan to play 100% as the 2 guard for all those years.  Trimble has had to shoulder too much of the load some times (last year).  Cowan and Huerter have have taken a lot of the pressure off and allowed Melo to play more to his natural game this year.  But at this point Cowan is not anywhere close to the rock solid PG that Blake was. 

A warm sunspot Spring welcome to all of our new O'Malley sycophant posters. I guess the re-election campaign has begun. :)

#45 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,297 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 04 February 2017 - 02:16 PM

Terps just can't seem to finish games at home. Another late meltdown and another home conference loss. All 3 losses this year have been at Comcast. 

#46 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,383 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:12 PM

Terps just can't seem to finish games at home. Another late meltdown and another home conference loss. All 3 losses this year have been at Comcast. 

Very similar to the Nebraska meltdown.  One of the biggest problems with a young team are games like this. 

The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

#47 Fumes

Fumes

Sir

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,020 posts
  • LocationPerry Hall

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:38 PM

that final seven seconds was nuts

#48 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,006 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:03 PM

Fighting back, cut it to 4 minute and a half left .....

Don't lose to psu .....

Geeze ...
They've got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#49 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,006 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:15 PM

That one hurts .....

1st road loss. 1st loss to psu since 1990 ....

That one will knock them down a seed or 2 .....

Oh well, caps are winning ....
They've got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#50 Fumes

Fumes

Sir

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,020 posts
  • LocationPerry Hall

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:11 AM

beating the Buckeyes again helps. Nice game from Cowan

#51 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:55 PM

Trimble and co. played a whale of a game against Northwestern. Onto Wisconsin Sunday - huge game!

#52 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,383 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:46 AM

Trimble and co. played a whale of a game against Northwestern. Onto Wisconsin Sunday - huge game!

That was a really impressive display.  Trimble was a monster, the freshman played with icewater in their veins.  THIS is the team that looked like one that could make a deep March run, not the one that melted down against Purdue and got out-hustled by Penn State.  I really like that when NW started making a push at the end, the freshman, particularly Cowan, really helped contribute to that nice "stiffarm" to stop the bleeding.  You can see something in Cowan's eyes, he's got real competitive moxy.  Jackson hit a big shot, and Heurter made some great decisions. 

Sunday's game is pretty much for all of the B1G marbles.  Winner is going to take the B1G for sure.

#53 Pickle20

Pickle20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,442 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:49 AM

I've never seen Melo play like that, with some added pizz and vinegar. He was staring down NW players, the bench, the fans...I liked it. He needs to keep that going.

That said, I don't know what to expect from this team come March. They've played a very weak schedule. They're prone to letting games get away from them after building up decent leads. Once they face some decent competition in the second round, I think it's very possible they get bounced.

Playing well against, and beating Wisconsin, would be a big indicator of what this team is capable of.

Edited by Pickle20, 16 February 2017 - 09:49 AM.

#54 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,383 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:45 PM

Agreed on all counts.

#55 Fumes

Fumes

Sir

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,020 posts
  • LocationPerry Hall

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:18 PM

definitely liked how the Terps didn't crumble @NW.   B10 will be lucky if one of it's Dance teams gets as high as #4 seed.

#56 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,383 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:45 PM

Wisconsin took a horrible loss against Michigan.  Terps might get a win there, and Koenig is likely out, or not 100%.  It's ripe, but they gotta pick the low hanging fruit.  So far they've been pretty spectacular on the road for some reason.

Actually, if the Terps win against the Badgers, and win out, that would put them at what, 27-4 going into the tourney?  If they go 29-5, or thereabouts, they are gonna be in the top 10 national rankings, and it's going to be hard to keep them from getting a 2 or 3 seed, RPI/BPI be damned.

But, that's a lot of winning, starting with beating the vulnerable Badgers on the road.  Koenig or not, it will be really difficult.

#57 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 04:54 PM

Trimble looked like he was going to carry the team, but when it got to the crunch, he crumbled. Tough loss to a tough team.

#58 bawlmerbob

bawlmerbob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 05:34 PM

Melo is usually a sure thing on foul shots, but his back-to-back misses on those 1 and 1's really hurt.

#59 alienrace

alienrace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,383 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:19 AM

Melo is usually a sure thing on foul shots, but his back-to-back misses on those 1 and 1's really hurt.

They were back breakers, really turned the game when it looked like they had the momentum.  Then Turgeon sits him for the final four minutes because he was "tired"?  That's just odd to me.

#60 Fumes

Fumes

Sir

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,020 posts
  • LocationPerry Hall

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:59 AM

w/o Melo we'd have lost by more than twenty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users