Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AgentOrange

Gilmans drop off is as shocking as the elections

223 posts in this topic

GA,

What year was Gilman 4 and 5. I definitely don't remember that. Jennings, Countess and Cyrus were never on a team hurt or healthy that went 4 and 5. C'mon man. Just don't make stuff up. You are the worlds most renowned and greatest expert on this subject, was it a typo? Is having a lot of starters back from a 2-9 team a good thing? Normally it's not. Is Spanky definitely staying. Isn't he a MoCo guy that the DC schools are wooing?  I know you have ESP but I don't see it getting any better any time soon and 4 and 5 never happened.

GA, They did go 4 and 5 in 2007 but those guys at best were Freshman if they were even on that 2007 team. None of them were major contributors if they were even on the roster. But hey 4 and 5 is better than 2 and 9 and you're still a draw with the ladies so you got that going for you. A down year for Gilman isn't going to affect that.

Sorry, two INT's and a fumble in the red zone. Four bad turnovers. Like I said, they got yards.

They never got inside the 20 yd line and only made it inside the 30 once.

@GA.......When did a *** kicking become something other than a *** kicking....help me out man

McDonogh has the $ and it's not all need based like Gilman. Gilman will never compete with A teams again until they do what Biff was doing and pay kids to come play. Gilman loses a ton of good recruits now because it's 30k a year and they only want to give the dirt poor kids full rides. McDonogh has a ton of money and they use it to bring in all types of kids. They aren't deep but they are very selective. Gilman isn't even in the conversation anymore. They are with ranks for Loyola and Calvert Hall. Palotti beats all of those teams and will move to A soon. Look at John Carroll. 12-0 last year and 1-9 this year because they had head coach pay for talent for 2 years and had nothing left because no interest in being a power program. The money has to flow or your MIAA team is no go.

John Carroll still brought in a bunch of transfers this past year but also lost some important pieces because of the head coach

GA, They did go 4 and 5 in 2007 but those guys at best were Freshman if they were even on that 2007 team. None of them were major contributors if they were even on the roster. But hey 4 and 5 is better than 2 and 9 and you're still a draw with the ladies so you got that going for you. A down year for Gilman isn't going to affect that.

You do know that Darius Jennings started as a ninth grader right and made thee game saving INT against a much better McD team right? Cyrus wasn't on that team but was in the 6-4 team the next year. So the great Poggi Gilman teams went 10-9 in two years with probably 15 plus division 1 players and 3 NFl'ers on the roster. This Gilman team has two definitely Division 1 players and a couple borderline players.

McDonogh has the $ and it's not all need based like Gilman. Gilman will never compete with A teams again until they do what Biff was doing and pay kids to come play. Gilman loses a ton of good recruits now because it's 30k a year and they only want to give the dirt poor kids full rides. McDonogh has a ton of money and they use it to bring in all types of kids. They aren't deep but they are very selective. Gilman isn't even in the conversation anymore. They are with ranks for Loyola and Calvert Hall. Palotti beats all of those teams and will move to A soon. Look at John Carroll. 12-0 last year and 1-9 this year because they had head coach pay for talent for 2 years and had nothing left because no interest in being a power program. The money has to flow or your MIAA team is no go.

You probably should talk about what you know. Gilman did the exact same thing that Biff did. Biff paying a bunch of bills was also greatly exagerrated. The school gave plenty of money and picked up whatever supplemental tuition Biff picked up. An after this season(especially Saturday) I expect they will be giving even more money out than ever.

I also said that I was at the game with parents of some very big recruits. Not only did they not care that Gilman was being killed, they emunderstiof that the season would be like that. But said that if the money was there, they were coming if accepted. Money is not an issue at Gilman. There's dozens of Poggi like benfactors of need be. I promise you I know more about what's going on than you. The school has already reached out to some very wealthy Alums, there's a lot going on that you have no clue about.

GA,

I thought they had good teams those years. Loyola and Mt. St. Joe's were really good back then. I remember Jennings beating DeMatha in 2008 running away from a really fast CB on a long run. I thought they'd do better this year. I thought maybe 6-4 or 7-3. It's not the end of the world, still a great school. All the kids switching schools these days is kind of crazy but guess it is what is. Give me the DeMatha-SJC winner.

G,

I know the parents may have told you they don't care but what do you think they are going to say you. They know you are a big time alum. Getting 84-0 ok 84-6 put on you in the last two games and having a 7-50 game is going to leave an impression. They may not tell you, but be real, the keg is empty and the party is over. Sometimes it's hard to accept and trust me I'm not trying to be mean but I wouldn't bet $ 10K on them winning the league or even coming in 2nd next year.

GA,

I thought they had good teams those years. Loyola and Mt. St. Joe's were really good back then. I remember Jennings beating DeMatha in 2008 running away from a really fast CB on a long run. I thought they'd do better this year. I thought maybe 6-4 or 7-3. It's not the end of the world, still a great school. All the kids switching schools these days is kind of crazy but guess it is what is. Give me the DeMatha-SJC winner.

I thought hey would have a better record as well but most teams can't lose six starters and this team damn sure couldn't. Not the end of the world and honestly the best thing that happened to the program.

As far as SJC-DeMatha, SJC has more talent but haven't beaten DM since the first Bush was President. So hard to bet against DM and I'm rooting for them to win. Plus you add in the fact that SJC still has suspect coaching. But DM offensive play calling is atrocious. Something inside of me is saying SJC pulls it out.

G,

I know the parents may have told you they don't care but what do you think they are going to say you. They know you are a big time alum. Getting 84-0 ok 84-6 put on you in the last two games and having a 7-50 game is going to leave an impression. They may not tell you, but be real, the keg is empty and the party is over. Sometimes it's hard to accept and trust me I'm not trying to be mean but I wouldn't bet $ 10K on them winning the league or even coming in 2nd next year.

$30,000 of free education to the top boys school in the state is something that you just can't so no to, sorry. Believe Gilman was blown out by Boys Latin the year before Poggi took over. McD was a doormat for years before opening up their paycheck. One year isn't stopping Gilman from being very good again. I don't think Gilman will be as good as they were with Poggi but nobody will as long as Poggi's boys are over at SFA. But as we saw with Gonzaga against the highest paid program in the area last week, all the stars and money means nothing if you can't coach.

@GA.....GILMAN HAS A MUCH BIGGER PROBLEM IN WHICH I'M SHOCKED YOU HAVE NOT CAUGHT ON TO........UHHHHHH...IT APPEARS THAT POGGI WAS ACTUALLY AN ELITE COACH......this is what I was trying to get at......

Edited by agentorange

@58Colts...in a very indirect and empathetic fashion, I have been trying to tell GA the truth......THE PARTY IS OVER....its done man....its all over.... 

A big name coach would be foolish to take the Gilman job, literally a year after Gilman deemphasized their football program.

A big name coach would be foolish to take the Gilman job, literally a year after Gilman deemphasized their football program.

Obviously if they hired a big name coach, they wouldn't be de-emphasizing football would they? Theyre recruiting at their highest levels in sports like basketball,where they have brought over a kid from England and a kid from Jamaica. And basketball means nothing to Gilman. Football is everything at the school and if you didn't go(or have a kid who did) or work there, would be hard to actually know or understand. Never seen a sideline react like they did this weekend. Something that just won't be allowed at the school. Just like how McD had to up their game Because of getting beat down for so long by Gilman, Gilman will not allow another year like this year.

Obviously if they hired a big name coach, they wouldn't be de-emphasizing football would they? Theyre recruiting at their highest levels in sports like basketball,where they have brought over a kid from England and a kid from Jamaica. And basketball means nothing to Gilman. Football is everything at the school and if you didn't go(or have a kid who did) or work there, would be hard to actually know or understand. Never seen a sideline react like they did this weekend. Something that just won't be allowed at the school. Just like how McD had to up their game Because of getting beat down for so long by Gilman, Gilman will not allow another year like this year.

Hate to break it to you but lacrosse Is held

In higher regard by the full paying parents at Gilman than football. This is Bmore not Tx, FL or Pa. The Board expected this market correction and will give the current staff several years to right the ship. It's Gilman high school football not IMG.

Edited by mop

Hate to break it to you but lacrosse Is held

In higher regard by the full paying parents at Gilman than football. This is Bmore not Tx, FL or Pa.

Again, unless you went to the school, have a kid there(which unless you're an Alum you don't know how much) or work at the school, you don't know how important football is at the school. Lacrosse is very important to Gilman but has been a clear number two in the last 15--20 years. Tim Holley got the AD job because of football. The last lacrosse guy to be AD was Jody Martin and that didn't end well.

And if they're bringing in international players in basketball, you idiots actually think they're just going to let the football program go down the drain?

Edited by GREYHOUND ALUM

Again, unless you went to the school, have a kid there(which unless you're an Alum you don't know how much) or work at the school, you don't know how important football is at the school. Lacrosse is very important to Gilman but has been a clear number two in the last 15--20 years. Tim Holley got the AD job because of football. The last lacrosse guy to be AD was Jody Martin and that didn't end well.

And if they're bringing in international players in basketball, you idiots actually think they're just going to let the football program go down the drain?

I got it second hand from a reliable source that the U.K. import is not very good. The Jamaican is reportedly better but you never know if my second-hand source knows talent when he sees it.

I got it second hand from a reliable source that the U.K. import is not very good. The Jamaican is reportedly better but you never know if my second-hand source knows talent when he sees it.

Yeah that's the word. Although I was told the U.K. Kid is solid but not great. The Jamaican is supposedly very very good and 6'9. Something that's needed immensely. Doesn't matter as long as they have a lacrosse coach masquerading as a basketball coach.

No one said anything about going down the drain, just coming back to the pack (Loyola, CHC, etc.). It was a wonderful ride. I for one will enjoy the return of parity to A Conference football. It's not about D1 football but getting into a great college (via schoolwork) and having fun playing high school football.

MOP I have to agree with you 100% on that statement. IMO making high school football about getting a D1 offer has taken the fun aspect away from some kids who love playing the game but don't really want to play in college

No one said anything about going down the drain, just coming back to the pack (Loyola, CHC, etc.). It was a wonderful ride. I for one will enjoy the return of parity to A Conference football. It's not about D1 football but getting into a great college (via schoolwork) and having fun playing high school football.

They've already come back to the pack. They're ramping up recruiting in a sport like Basketball, a sport no one cares about at the school except Holley.

Holley was the reason why Gilman football became what it became as much as Poggi and people don't get this. Holley will never let Gilman be a cellar dwelling team. Best thing that happened was the season they had and Holley to be the Coach to go through it. He's a football guy. An All Metro and college football player. Like I said, I know a lot more about what's going on than any of you. I can tell you personally that the school is reaching out to wealthy Alums who were former athletes about the program.

What parity? Didn't Gilman East(SFA) just run through the league? And this was just their first year. They will continue to do so.

Edited by GREYHOUND ALUM

@GA.....IT APPEARS THAT POGGI WAS ACTUALLY AN ELITE COACH......this is what I was trying to get at......

AO I'm not sure what the case is anymore. GA's statement "So the great Poggi Gilman teams went 10-9 in two years with probably 15 plus division 1 players and 3 NFl'ers on the roster." would seem to say otherwise. I don't know of another local team that has had kind of talent ever.