zenwalk

Who Goes Nazi: 1941 Harpers Profile of Who Goes Nazi and Who Doesn't

58 posts in this topic

Interesting character portraits of those disposed towards opportunistic fascism and those who aren't.   

It is an interesting and somewhat macabre parlor game to play at a large gathering of one’s acquaintances: to speculate who in a showdown would go Nazi. By now, I think I know. I have gone through the experience many times—in Germany, in Austria, and in France. I have come to know the types: the born Nazis, the Nazis whom democracy itself has created, the certain-to-be fellow-travelers. And I also know those who never, under any conceivable circumstances, would become Nazis.

It is preposterous to think that they are divided by any racial characteristics. Germans may be more susceptible to Nazism than most people, but I doubt it. Jews are barred out, but it is an arbitrary ruling. I know lots of Jews who are born Nazis and many others who would heil Hitler tomorrow morning if given a chance. There are Jews who have repudiated their own ancestors in order to become “Honorary Aryans and Nazis”; there are full-blooded Jews who have enthusiastically entered Hitler’s secret service. Nazism has nothing to do with race and nationality. It appeals to a certain type of mind.

It is also, to an immense extent, the disease of a generation—the generation which was either young or unborn at the end of the last war. This is as true of Englishmen, Frenchmen, and Americans as of Germans. It is the disease of the so-called “lost generation.”

http://harpers.org/archive/1941/08/who-goes-nazi/

I think you are suffering from a serious obsession with Hitler and Nazis. It's starting to taint everything you post.

I think you are suffering from a serious obsession with Hitler and Nazis. It's starting to taint everything you post.

Starting?????

Seriously. Godwin's law

Godwin has stated that he introduced Godwin's law in 1990 as an experiment in memetics.[2]

Godwin's law does not claim to articulate a fallacy; it is instead framed as a memetic tool to reduce the incidence of inappropriate hyperbolic comparisons. "Although deliberately framed as if it were a law of nature or of mathematics, its purpose has always been rhetorical and pedagogical: I wanted folks who glibly compared someone else to Hitler or to Nazis to think a bit harder about the Holocaust", Godwin has written.[12] In December 2015, Godwin commented on the Nazi and fascist comparisons being made by several articles on Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump, saying that "If you're thoughtful about it and show some real awareness of history, go ahead and refer to Hitler or Nazis when you talk about Trump. Or any other politician."[13]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

Whether you want to admit it or not, the banality of evil is the only pertinent post-election conversation or I wouldn't be posting this stuff. I'm sure there are other threads about how violent blacks are, or how Mexicans are rapists or how Muslims need to be thrown out or how how funny handicapped people look or how there's only a small percentage of racists make up the alt right; plenty to post on.  It pains me that this isn't obvious but making this stuff normal is wrong.

Good point sprightly, zen is being completely appropriate according to Godwin and shouldn't just be dismissed offhand. He's being thoughtful and showing an obvious real awareness of history. It's good to see rational posts from you defending someone against a personal attack pile on for once.

I read the article however and found it a little disappointing. Rather than give real personal characteristics (other than "nice.") that prevent or ensure the fall to nazism, it was mostly the authors musings about what he liked or disliked about others at one of his ancient parties. An interesting insight into 1920s passive aggressive behavior but not the sort of prescription I was hoping for from the title.

WASHINGTON — President-elect Donald J. Trump’s promise to deport two million to three million immigrants who have committed crimes suggested that he would dramatically step up removals of both people in the United States illegally and those with legal status. If carried out, the plan potentially would require raids by a vastly larger federal immigration force to hunt down these immigrants and send them out of the country...

...“If he wants to deport two to three million people, he’s got to rely on tactics that will divide communities and create fear throughout the country,” said Kevin Appleby, the senior director of international migration policy at the Center for Migration Studies of New York. “He would have to conduct a sweep, or raids or tactics such as those, to reach the numbers he wants to reach. It would create a police state, in which they would have to be aggressively looking for people.”

What Donald Trump's Vow to Deport Up To 3 Million Immigrants Would Mean

Whether you want to admit it or not, the banality of evil is the only pertinent post-election conversation or I wouldn't be posting this stuff. I'm sure there are other threads about how violent blacks are, or how Mexicans are rapists or how Muslims need to be thrown out or how how funny handicapped people look or how there's only a small percentage of racists make up the alt right; plenty to post on.  It pains me that this isn't obvious but making this stuff normal is wrong.

Haven't seen them. Where are these threads about how violent blacks are, how Mexicans are rapists, how Muslims need to be thrown out, or how funny handicapped people look?

Edited by Sprightly

Good point sprightly, zen is being completely appropriate according to Godwin and shouldn't just be dismissed offhand. He's being thoughtful and showing an obvious real awareness of history. It's good to see rational posts from you defending someone against a personal attack pile on for once.

I read the article however and found it a little disappointing. Rather than give real personal characteristics (other than "nice.") that prevent or ensure the fall to nazism, it was mostly the authors musings about what he liked or disliked about others at one of his ancient parties. An interesting insight into 1920s passive aggressive behavior but not the sort of prescription I was hoping for from the title.

I appreciate that you read the article. The author is making the point that the prosperity issue (either the hope or maintenance of) is the cheese that lures the nazi.  It's about hardening yourself to the plight of others and that any group can contain nazis.  America is especially vulnerable because we are cocooned in our own little lives with little thought for our fellow citizens. This is fertile ground for an autocrat. It's ultimately about lack of character. 

The current President boasts about deporting more illegal immigrants than his predecessors.  So what's the problem?

It is too hard to accuse Obama of engaging in white privilege. :)

The current President boasts about deporting more illegal immigrants than his predecessors.  So what's the problem?

First they ridiculed the handicapped as weak and pathetic . Then they came for the Mexicans, then they came for the Muslims then they came for me. 

He did it over 8 years.

Obama has run a very tight immigration ship contrary to republican lies.

Gotta admit the Germans have the Best looking Military Uniforms. The SS was just off the charts!

First they ridiculed the handicapped as weak and pathetic . Then they came for the Mexicans, then they came for the Muslims then they came for me. 

Oh please.

:rolleyes:

And?

The administration attempts not to break up families and they adjudicate the cases. Trump wants to deport 3 million immediately.  That's the difference. One is a rule of law method. The other is a boxcar method.

Oh please.

:rolleyes:

You really need to read the article my dear. 

Edited by zenwalk

Does he?

But even if Mr. Trump’s numbers are correct — and many immigration activists dispute them — it is not clear Mr. Trump could carry out those deportations quickly without violating due process.

In many cases, convicts would have to go through immigration courts before they could be deported. Those courts are overwhelmed with huge backlogs, so obtaining deportation orders from judges can take many months — if not many years. Thousands of immigrants are serving jail sentences that under current law cannot be curtailed. According to official figures, as of June only about 183,000 immigrants had been convicted of crimes and also had deportation orders so they could be detained and removed quickly.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/15/us/politics/donald-trump-deport-immigrants.html

Glad to know that the arbitrator of what is pertinent is "on the job".

I was worried you were going to shirk your responsibility as the only human capable of deciding what should be discussed. 

Edited by Rael

Your Hitler references are truly bordering on the psychotic side of reality. Please seek help.