Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mop

Loyola Blakefield Head Coaching Vacancy

144 posts in this topic

Heard Stickel from JC is the new OC, the option comes to the A conf.

I agree with the need to recruit in the A conference (due to the fact that everyone does it) but I think something is being overlooked in general. A really good coach, will create schemes that fit talent and it seems to me that too many of the MIAA coaches just try to recruit to a scheme they have used in the past and expect that to work all the time. Many of the large budget schools have this luxury of recruiting in this manner (think of McD getting a MLB 2 years ago, and a QB last year) but if you don't have that ability, you need to be able to adjust on the X and O's. This is where some of the publics really excel.  

The other thing to consider is what positions do you focus on for recruits? I think McD success came after more focus being added to the O and D line, coupled with a very good O line coach (who doubles as a strength coach). Some of the schools with limited budgets focus on skill players only and you win at the line position. Spalding in a perfect example (even if the line was not recruited) - tough lineman on both sides of the ball, with good but not great skill players (even though I thought the QB  was top end!). The B conference is full of this mistake, thinking that you will win because of a  RB or CB...but without lineman, that thought process does not work that well. Put your dollars in the trenches .    

I like Stichel as a coach, don't know if he will have the horse RB he had at Curley to run that offense. But it all comes down to Oline play in the end

I strongly recommend Greyhound alumni for the job...... The hounds def need the win and he would damn sure make sure they get it.....I couldn't resist

Posted (edited)

I think the offense helps level the playing field with teams that have lesser talent, just look at Navy beating teams they have no business beating based off of talent levels. If Loyola continues to not bring in kids on the same level as the other A conference schools Stichel and the triple option could be the perfect fit.

Edited by Dblock34

Hopefully, I was happy with the choice

I think the offense helps level the playing field with teams that have lesser talent, just look at Navy beating teams they have no business beating based off of talent levels. If Loyola continues to not bring in kids on the same level as the other A conference schools Stichel and the triple option could be the perfect fit.

If you think Navy is just beating people off scheme with less talent, idk. 1) navy brings in 60 per year in. All are very good players, preps like 45 of them, JVs another 45. Navy kids have more reps in games in that system before they play FBS football as juniors/seniors. Also, Navy typically takes QBs from similar systems. Let alone, those kids are playing not for themselves or draft stock, but to win for their school. That's tough to replicate.

If the Curley triple option is so good, how come they lost to Loyola last year 40-0?  The triple option requires corner speed and a quick running QB. Koras is a pure pocket passer and not meant to run the option. He didn't even run the QB draw last year which was always a bread and butter play for the Dons.  He got clobbered one time in the Turkey Bowl and had to leave the game for 2 possessions. Taking constant hits running the option means he might not even get to the Turkey Bowl game and very little passing will happen. His strength is to see the field and find receivers which is not the way a triple option pass scheme works. If Loyola is replacing him with a more nimble QB for the option, then they are throwing away 2 years of game experience for their veteran QB.

Watchfulreader80

Curley runs the double wing not the triple option. Two completely different offenses. Navy runs the triple, I believe the new OC is very good with it. I know he did well at JC a few years ago

18 hours ago, watchfulreader80 said:

If the Curley triple option is so good, how come they lost to Loyola last year 40-0?  The triple option requires corner speed and a quick running QB. Koras is a pure pocket passer and not meant to run the option. He didn't even run the QB draw last year which was always a bread and butter play for the Dons.  He got clobbered one time in the Turkey Bowl and had to leave the game for 2 possessions. Taking constant hits running the option means he might not even get to the Turkey Bowl game and very little passing will happen. His strength is to see the field and find receivers which is not the way a triple option pass scheme works. If Loyola is replacing him with a more nimble QB for the option, then they are throwing away 2 years of game experience for their veteran QB.

2 years of experience vs the potential to be successful...i think they'll take the opportunity to build upon a successful offense that translate to wins, rather than make one kid happy...maybe that kid will commit to the changes and prepare himself physically and mentally, maybe not...only time will tell 

Koras is more than talented enough to run the offense, he just has to buy into what the coaches are calling and teaching. He ran more as a sophomore than junior. 

Posted (edited)

On 5/8/2017 at 4:10 PM, watchfulreader80 said:

I saw Koras run a great set of option plays two years ago vs. MCD. He's smart and tough. That being said, he will need good linemen, a great tailback and a tough FB to keep defenses honest. That and he'll need to become an expert at the offense in one year. They should have recruited a TB last year, moved Smith to FB and run it last year as they had two deep threats outside to keep the DBs honest. 

Edited by mop

1 hour ago, mop said:

I saw Koras run a great set of option plays two years ago vs. MCD. He's smart and tough. That being said, he will need good linemen, a great tailback and a tough FB to keep defenses honest. That and he'll need to become an expert at the offense in one year. They should have recruited a TB last year, moved Smith to FB and run it last year as they had two deep threats outside to keep the DBs honest. 

Loyola has one of the best freshmen athletes in the MIAA is Ty Trinh. Best athlete Loyola has had since their Championship days a decades ago. He played WR last year, but he can easily be moved to RB. They should get him the ball as much as possible. 

On 5/11/2017 at 10:27 PM, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Loyola has one of the best freshmen athletes in the MIAA is Ty Trinh. Best athlete Loyola has had since their Championship days a decades ago. He played WR last year, but he can easily be moved to RB. They should get him the ball as much as possible. 

Ty has good speed but not true break away speed and I am not sure he has RB instincts. He is a great athlete that can play anywhere but WR is his best option.

58 minutes ago, fylde5 said:

Ty has good speed but not true break away speed and I am not sure he has RB instincts. He is a great athlete that can play anywhere but WR is his best option.

He was a ninth grader. He didn't have great speed but it's relative. Some of the things he's done on the track this spring, shows me he will be more than fast enough as his career progresses. Now, can't speak in his RB instincts. 

Actually have a RB coming up, the younger brother of Jason Smith who might actually be faster then Jason. Good instincts at the position