133 replies to this topic

#21 jbmad

jbmad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 05:27 PM

I dont really think the top dogs at LB really care if if the football, baseball, basketball programs have winning records. I have seen this over the past four years. First it was getting rid of the freshman football and baseball teams, quite a few kids quit the football program after this because they figured they would get little opportunity for playing time

#22 mop

mop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 05:57 PM

I dont really think the top dogs at LB really care if if the football, baseball, basketball programs have winning records. I have seen this over the past four years. First it was getting rid of the freshman football and baseball teams, quite a few kids quit the football program after this because they figured they would get little opportunity for playing time

I would agree that some don't care but several Board members do in that they understand it impacts admissions overall. This is failure of management plain and simple. When you see Spalding thriving despite having a less storied (shorter history) alumni base and a smaller endowment, you know it can be done. It takes good executive management and vision, a great coaching staff and enough scale (numbers of students and players) to turn it around. Strategic vision has been lacking at LB. Loyola will never be what is once was because the cost of teachers exploded when the Jesuits retired and the School didn't adjust accordingly. They have a campus (athletic facilities and infrastructure) that can handle 1,100 to 1,200 students but chose instead to try a progressive taxation scheme (tuition hikes ad nauseum). By doing this, they priced out one of their most important and core constituencies. the working class Catholic family. They turned into SP or Georgetown Prep while CHC and Gonzaga adopted more nimbly and held onto their core audience. By losing their working class constituency, they lost their best source of solid tough football players.   

Edited by mop, 02 December 2016 - 05:59 PM.

#23 jbmad

jbmad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:09 PM

Gonzaga Tuition is about the same as LB

#24 mop

mop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:23 PM

Yes but the per capita income in DC is significantly higher. A widow's mite......

#25 mop

mop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:26 PM

Rank County State Median Household Income 1 Loudoun County Virginia $117,876 2 Fairfax County Virginia $112,436 3 Howard County Maryland $108,844 4 Hunterdon County New Jersey $105,186 5 Arlington County Virginia $100,474 6 Stafford County Virginia $97,606 7 Putnam County New York $96,223 8 Somerset County New Jersey $95,825 9 Douglas County Colorado $95,324 10 Morris County New Jersey $95,294 11 Montgomery County Maryland $94,965 12 Prince William County Virginia $93,744 13 Nassau County New York $93,214 14 Santa Clara County California $91,425 15 Charles County Maryland $90,880 16 Williamson County Tennessee $90,759 17 Marin County California $90,535 18 Anne Arundel County Maryland $89,179 19 Calvert County Maryland $87,449 20 Sussex County New Jersey $86,625 21 St. Mary's County Maryland $86,358 22 Suffolk County New York $86,334 23 Fort Bend County Texas $86,256 24 Oakland County Michigan $86,567 25 Forsyth County Georgia $85,494 [show]2011 2010 Census[edit]

#26 mop

mop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:28 PM

9 Carroll $85,532 10 St. Mary's $88,190 11 Harford $81,016 12 Baltimore $66,940, 

I'm a numbers guy: The full pay students at Gonzaga are primarily from rich DC neighborhoods, rich MD suburbs and northern VA. As you can see, the per capita income in these counties is signifcantly higher than LB's base of full pay students (Bmore Co, Northern part of City, Carroll and Harford). Only overlap is Howard. 

Edited by mop, 02 December 2016 - 06:30 PM.

#27 jbmad

jbmad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:33 PM

True, as long as the heads at the school dont show that athletics matter nothing will change. I cant complain about the education at all and the college opportunities that my son has, but the football could have been better

#28 mop

mop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:40 PM

True, as long as the heads at the school dont show that athletics matter nothing will change. I cant complain about the education at all and the college opportunities that my son has, but the football could have been better

No arguments on the education front although I can assure you the new lay teachers couldn't touch the old Jesuits (most of them rotated back and forth between being college professors and secondary school teachers). Too much intellectual firepower and rigor. 

Edited by mop, 02 December 2016 - 06:40 PM.

#29 pmore108

pmore108

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:57 PM

Why do the jesuits not do any teaching any more? Simply a numbers thing with lack of priests in general?

#30 SunnyLyles

SunnyLyles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:29 AM

As a LB alum I totally agree.  No one really cares at LB if the basketball program or football programs are successful.  Year in and year out I tune into the Turkey Bowl and see a lackluster product.  Same with the basketball program.  No idea how Davalli is still the basketball coach after countless losing seasons.  LB has to do a better job from a recruiting standpoint.  I remember in HS when we were a football power winning MIAA titles and never losing a Turkey Bowl in my 4 years at LB.  Hoping to see a better product in the near future on the field and court.

#31 Murph

Murph

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 11:15 AM

HOPE is no strategy

#32 fylde5

fylde5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  • LocationJacobus, PA

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:41 AM

None of this will change until Keeney is done as AD. The lackluster program is a reflecktion of the lackluster AD. I also think the loss of jesuits on campus is a crime, it is one of the things that made LB special.

#33 mop

mop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 01:25 PM

Position posted on 11-30:

Job Description:

Loyola Blakefield is seeking a dynamic and accomplished individual to become the school’s next head football coach. Loyola Blakefield is a member of the MIAA “A” Conference football league, a competitive athletic division.

Duties and Responsibilities:

·         Lead and direct all aspects of the program

·         Head varsity coach

·         Work with Admissions in attracting and recruiting well-rounded, qualified admission candidates who

will contribute to the life of the school in the classroom, in mission-based activities, and on the

football field

·         Work with the Director of Athletics in hiring assistants and under squad coaches, scheduling non-

league games, managing field usage, ordering supplies, equipment and uniforms, and in making

travel arrangements

·         Work with the Principal and the Director of Athletics to live out and promote the school’s mission

Qualifications:

·         Prior coaching experience within a highly competitive setting at the high school or collegiate level

either as a head coach or in a coordinator capacity

·         An understanding, respect and commitment to the academic, spiritual, social, and athletic formation

of young men

·         An ability to articulate coaching philosophy and a proven record of successful implementation

·         Positive, creative, solution-oriented temperament

·         A clear understanding of and commitment to Loyola Blakefield’s mission of graduating young men

who are religious, loving, intellectually ambitious, open to growth, and committed to diversity and

doing justice.

·         Commitment to preparing student-athletes for post-high school life through personal, academic, and

athletic successes, including assisting football players in the college search process

#34 city40blast

city40blast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 01:27 PM

Lol at the recruiting part in the job description

#35 jbmad

jbmad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 01:45 PM

Who is doing the interview process for this position?

#36 mop

mop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:24 PM

Great question, big test for the new administration.

#37 jbmad

jbmad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:39 PM

Dont Really Think Its Going To Matter, Until The Upper Administration Guys Get On Board It Will Be The Same Stuff

#38 mop

mop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:45 PM

Sadly probably true

#39 agentorange

agentorange

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,691 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:54 PM

The big myth about Loyola is they have no talent and no investment in winning.....I was not fond of Abbotts but the guy won titles without a major recruitment  campaign. Any school with as many boys as Loyola will pretty much have what it needs to win right in its hallways.....however, a Pawgs like regional/national power mission is a horse of another color......but Loyola has what is required to compete for a conference title.  

#40 Maroontiger419

Maroontiger419

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:40 PM

The big myth about Loyola is they have no talent and no investment in winning.....I was not fond of Abbotts but the guy won titles without a major recruitment campaign. Any school with as many boys as Loyola will pretty much have what it needs to win right in its hallways.....however, a Pawgs like regional/national power mission is a horse of another color......but Loyola has what is required to compete for a conference title.

That's not true. In this league you need FBS/FCS talent in each class to win the title.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users