Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tootsie

Bye Weiters

209 posts in this topic

Seems like a good deal for them, now on to RF

A 1 year deal with a player option? They must think Cisco is just about there.

The Baltimore Orioles have agreed to a one-year deal with free-agent catcher Welington Castillo, sources confirmed to ESPN's Eddie Matz on Wednesday.

Sources told ESPN that the $6 million deal is pending a physical and also features a $7 million player option for 2018.'

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18279549/baltimore-orioles-catcher-welington-castillo-agree-1-year-deal

Seems like a good deal for them, now on to RF

They say the O's are in on Dyson, which could move Jones to RF

Thanks was looking for link

Just getting myself ready

Tends to happen to us

LOL-that's awesome.

I like this move and contract.  It was time to move on from Matty and Boras.  Allocate those dollars elsewhere.  I think we get the same production from Castillo as would from Wieters so this is an absolute no brainer.  Yeah DD.  You moved on something before Xmas.

It's a shame we didn't trade MW at the deadline :) now we'll get nothing. Oh well, we all know Big Dan lacks foresight and vision.

It's a shame we didn't trade MW at the deadline :) now we'll get nothing. Oh well, we all know Big Dan lacks foresight and vision.

Ain't that the truth!!

We would have gotten next to nothing then. Wieters wasn't bringing much in trade. And you don't trade starters in the midst of a pennant race. 

Edited by bmore_ken

Lol

We would have gotten next to nothing then. Wieters wasn't bringing much in trade. And you don't trade starters in the midst of a pennant race.

Next to nothing, eh?

An all-star catcher that is supposedly one of the best at his position?

I just find it surprising for an organization whose Farm System is barren, that Big Dan just didn't have the foresight or vision to explore a trade.

Next to nothing, eh?

I just find it surprising for an organization whose Farm System is barren, that Big Dan just didn't have the foresight or vision to explore a trade.

Detroit's farm system is largely barren. Why didn't they attempt to trade Ian Kinsler or J.D. Martinez? Toronto emptied its farm system out the past several years so why didn't they try and trade Bautista or Encarnacion, both of whom are now free agents?  Either team could have gotten a helluva lot more for those guys than the Orioles would have for Wieters.

Wouldn't it make more sense to keep "an all-star catcher who is supposedly one of the best at his position" in the fold if you're trying to win now (and in first place at the time)? How does trading him make you any better down the stretch? I don't know what is so surprising about the Orioles holding on to Wieters. That doesn't demonstrate a lack of vision; it's just baseball common sense.

Edited by mdrunning

Detroit's farm system is largely barren. Why didn't they attempt to trade Ian Kinsler or J.D. Martinez? Toronto emptied its farm system out the past several years so why didn't they try and trade Bautista or Encarnacion, both of whom are now free agents? Either team could have gotten a helluva lot more for those guys than the Orioles would have for Wieters.

Wouldn't it make more sense to keep "an all-star catcher who is supposedly one of the best at his position" in the fold if you're trying to win now (and in first place at the time)? How does trading him make you any better down the stretch? I don't know what is so surprising about the Orioles holding on to Wieters. That doesn't demonstrate a lack of vision; it's just baseball common sense.

You do realize that you won't get a response to this logic response

Word around the Warehouse campfire, is that Sisco's bat is MLB ready, but his D needs some seasoning. It was only last season, when his scouting report said he couldn't hit lefty pitchers. I guess he had a great November. :huh:   

You would have complained about that.

Next to nothing, eh?

You mean the all star catcher that is currently looking for a job? How do you know Dan didn't look for a trade and found no suitors? Oh wait, are you one of those guys who has a cousin, who's sister's nephew's girlfriend works in Duquette's office? :D

I don't know what is so surprising about the Orioles holding on to Wieters. That doesn't demonstrate a lack of vision; it's just baseball common sense.

Exactly!!!!!!

Weiters never lived up to the hype.  He was ok, offensively, better than average defensively.  Sisco is the future, so this move makes some sense. 

Wieters is water under the bridge.  Its like talking about why we didn't hold on to Markakis and Cruz.  Fact is, I think we have a solid catching duo with Castillo and Joseph.  With 450 ABs, I could see Castillo hitting 20 dingers at the Yard next year. The number that jumps out with me on Castillo is his ability to drive in runs.  With a crappy AZ offense the last 2 years he managed to drive in 118 runs in 717ABs.  By comparison, Wieters drove in 91 the last 2 years in 681 ABs.  He could bat 6th if need be. 

As the saying goes, thanks for the memories Matt, but don't let the door hit you in the rear end on your way out. 

I'm hopeful on Sisco, but I'm not banking on him as a ML catcher.  A full year at AAA next year will help fill in the story.  I think his bat plays in the big leagues regardless.