Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tootsie

Bye Weiters

209 posts in this topic

2012 was MW's peak season, both offensively and defensively. Even in that peak season, he wasn't a $17M/yr player. If you could somehow guarantee that he'd give you that production, for each year of his contract extension, it would still be an overpay.  

You would have complained about that.

?????

The way some of you folks talk about Matt Wieters, you'd think he was Babe Ruth.

No, he's a catcher that hits .230.

I still think MWs lack of top flight conditioning hurt his production the last 4 years.  The elbow set him back for sure.  But I really expected to see a more fit MW in 2015 and 2016.  that's one thing we don't have to worry about with Crush.  The guy is a dedicated monster to being in top shape. That's why he can still play a decent RF.

?????

The way some of you folks talk about Matt Wieters, you'd think he was Babe Ruth.

Yet you somehow thought he was going to bring a king's ransom in a trade. Dude you're a riot. :D

?????

You're contradicting yourself. Before this, you said he was an all-star catcher who was supposed to be one of the best at his position. Now he's just a .230 hitting catcher.

I was listening to the Fan. A guy called in to praise MW for being an awesome player. He said he could name 8 times, at least, where MW scored the game winning run. And he could name 5 more where his D saved the other team from tying or winning the game. He went on to say he was an all around clutch hitter

I can remember 3 game winning hits, and I watched pretty much all 162. Maybe I missed the other 5 games. But there is no way MW can remotely be called "clutch". 

I agree overall Wieters wasn't that clutch.  I think he may have hit 2 walk off homers this year which kind of stand out.  But look back at his career and his best RBI total was 83 in 526ABs.  And he was always hitting in the middle of the line-up at 4-6 slot.  And I said before he only had 91 RBIs his last 681ABs.  That's very mediocre.  I'm telling you we won't miss this guy one bit now that we have Castillo with Joseph backing up.

I agree overall Wieters wasn't that clutch.  I think he may have hit 2 walk off homers this year which kind of stand out.  But look back at his career and his best RBI total was 83 in 526ABs.  And he was always hitting in the middle of the line-up at 4-6 slot.  And I said before he only had 91 RBIs his last 681ABs.  That's very mediocre.  I'm telling you we won't miss this guy one bit now that we have Castillo with Joseph backing up.

That's what I remember, and the 3rd walk off was a hit that scored the winning run from 2B. But there were many more times where he could have tied or taken the lead, and he choked. People develop an opinion, and it becomes fact to them. I like MW. For the right money, he's a solid player. But he wasn't an impact player. He was a nice complimentary type player. 

That's what I remember, and the 3rd walk off was a hit that scored the winning run from 2B. But there were many more times where he could have tied or taken the lead, and he choked. People develop an opinion, and it becomes fact to them. I like MW. For the right money, he's a solid player. But he wasn't an impact player. He was a nice complimentary type player. 

Definitely not the person you want at the plate with 2 outs and runners on. 

Yet you somehow thought he was going to bring a king's ransom in a trade. Dude you're a riot. :D

No, you're a riot. I never said that, so u must be thinking of something else. It would be nice to have legitimate discussions on this forum with people that know what they're talking about and avoid misinformation.

No one has mentioned that Castillo led MLB catchers in passed balls and errors.

No, you're a riot. I never said that, so u must be thinking of something else. It would be nice to have legitimate discussions on this forum with people that know what they're talking about and avoid misinformation.

A legitimate discussion? Explain how trading your starting catcher in the middle of a pennant race makes your team better is a legitimate discussion. Give me a break. Edited by bmore_ken

Catching when Ubaldo pitches should be interesting.  :o

In hindsight I'm sure glad DD declined to offer MW a QO.  Boras is no dummy he may have grabbed the 17.2 mil.  As it stands now MW may have trouble snagging more than 10mil/yr on a 3 year deal.

I've been hearing that stat mentioned on the radio. He's no D whiz, that's for sure, but it seems to be understood that MW got some favorable calls from the hometown score keeper. It's been repeatedly mentioned that there were 32 pitches in the dirt, and at least some of them were balls that Matty should have smothered, but didn't. The score keeper tacked them onto the pitcher, instead of Matt.

I wasn't too worried about those possible passed balls, until Ivan pointed out the Ubaldo factor. That might turn ugly.   

I've been hearing that stat mentioned on the radio. He's no D whiz, that's for sure, but it seems to be understood that MW got some favorable calls from the hometown score keeper. It's been repeatedly mentioned that there were 32 pitches in the dirt, and at least some of them were balls that Matty should have smothered, but didn't. The score keeper tacked them onto the pitcher, instead of Matt.

I wasn't too worried about those possible passed balls, until Ivan pointed out the Ubaldo factor. That might turn ugly.   

Yeah... that is an alarming thought.

If you were going to bring in a below average defensive catcher, why not just go with Joseph and Cisco?

A legitimate discussion? Explain how trading your starting catcher in the middle of a pennant race makes your team better is a legitimate discussion. Give me a break.

?????

So you think a .230-hitting catcher was the reason the Orioles clinched the big opportunity to play in a Wild Card game? Got it. SMH

You mean the all star catcher that is currently looking for a job? How do you know Dan didn't look for a trade and found no suitors? Oh wait, are you one of those guys who has a cousin, who's sister's nephew's girlfriend works in Duquette's office? :D

Hahahah. Yeah. I actually married a Duquette ;)

I don't think that Wieters or any other MLB catcher gets a favorable call when they don't handle a pitch that is in the dirt. If the pitch hits the dirt and the runner advances it is called a wild pitch more often than not. I do think that MW struggled quite a bit with pitches in the dirt after He injured his foot. ( particularly to this right.)

I don't think that there will be an appreciable drop off in defense from castillo. Showalter values defense from the position and 

I don;t think that they would have signed him if He was a butcher. 

I liked MW, but Castillo is a real good value signing.

Edited by russsnyder

?????

So you think a .230-hitting catcher was the reason the Orioles clinched the big opportunity to play in a Wild Card game? Got it. SMH

If he's nothing more than just a .230 hitting catcher, why do you think he would have been valuable in a trade?

I don't think that Wieters or any other MLB catcher gets a favorable call when they don't handle a pitch that is in the dirt. If the pitch hits the dirt and the runner advances it is called a wild pitch more often than not. I do think that MW struggled quite a bit with pitches in the dirt after He injured his foot. ( particularly to this right.)

I don't think that there will be an appreciable drop off in defense from castillo. Showalter values defense from the position and 

I think so as well. Six million for one year and a player option for a second year at $7 million. That's less than the Orioles paid Wieters for last year alone.

Of course, lest we not forget, the agreement is pending a team physical, which never seems to be a mere formality in Birdland.

If he's nothing more than just a .230 hitting catcher, why do you think he would have been valuable in a trade?

Is it just me that thinks he's a cartoon?  :D  :D

This point stood out for me too.