Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tootsie

Bye Weiters

209 posts in this topic

from ESPN:

New Orioles catcher Welington Castillo rates highly in pitch blocking. According to Baseball Info Solutions, Castillo blocked 775 pitches (preventing base runner movement), the most in MLB. Castillo's 94% block rate ranked 8th and helped him finish with 2 defensive runs saved, the 2nd time he's finished with a positive total.

Also:

CASTILLO SHOULD BE UPGRADE FOR ORIOLES

The O's agreed to a deal with free-agent catcher Welington Castillo on Wednesday. Castillo had a 2.4 WAR last season, while Baltimore's two main catchers -- Matt Wieters and Caleb Joseph -- combined for 0.7 WAR (1.7 for Wieters, -1.0 for Joseph), ESPN Stats & Info notes.

Kinda sad to see MW go.

He wasn't very good -- not nearly as good as he was supposed to be -- but he seemed to come up big in crucial situations.

Oh well. Castillo seems like the same player, for probably much less.

No complaints.

Kinda sad to see MW go.

He wasn't very good -- not nearly as good as he was supposed to be -- but he seemed to come up big in crucial situations.

Oh well. Castillo seems like the same player, for probably much less.

No complaints.

For a couple of years there, he was one of the best offensive catchers in the game.

Any thoughts on where MW ends up. Early favorites are probably Atlanta and DC. 

Hopefully wherever it is, I won't have to deal with two seasons of whining on this board about how we should have signed him like when Cruz and Miller left   :lol:  :lol:

Hopefully wherever it is, I won't have to deal with two seasons of whining on this board about how we should have signed him like when Cruz and Miller left   :lol:  :lol:

I think you are pretty safe.  If anything, MW is sliding.  So those mediocre numbers and should keep coming if not be worse.  Thus no whining. People tend to have long memories when studs like Cruz and Miller get away and keep on being lights out. Just human nature.

I remember when DD came on board, one of his early moves, was an attempt to extend MW. The response from his camp was a flat out, "No thanks". He didn't want to be here, and the only reason he took the QO, was because it was a sound business decision. Boras told him to take the ridiculous money that came with the one year deal, prove to the league that he was 100% again, then take his 2012 self out to the market. The only problem is, it's not 2012, and MW isn't the player he was in 2012. I'm beyond relieved that he won't be coming back. 

Yeah Weird totally agree.  Apparently, Boras tried the end run again before we signed Castillo.  Called Petey direct trying to hornswaggle him like he did last year with Davis.  I guess Petey wised up this year.  Pretty ironic Boras and MW came back begging for a deal, and were told to hit the bricks.  Karma, baby, karma!!

Agree DC looks like one of the last available landing spots for MW.  It appears Boras is having trouble drumming up other teams into the bidding process.  Seems like the Braves really liked Castillo, so not sure if they even have interest in MW.  Unless at a deep discount.  MW may have to settle for a 3 yr/30mil deal which is about what he is worth. 

?????

The way some of you folks talk about Matt Wieters, you'd think he was Babe Ruth.

No, he's a catcher that hits .230.

So you are berating Dan for being unable to move a .230 17 million dollar a year catcher at the break? You are arguing out of both sides of your mouth.

A legitimate discussion? Explain how trading your starting catcher in the middle of a pennant race makes your team better is a legitimate discussion. Give me a break.

Especially when his backup had, wait, what was Joseph's RBI total for the year again? 

Agree DC looks like one of the last available landing spots for MW.  It appears Boras is having trouble drumming up other teams into the bidding process.  Seems like the Braves really liked Castillo, so not sure if they even have interest in MW.  Unless at a deep discount.  MW may have to settle for a 3 yr/30mil deal which is about what he is worth. 

Atlanta will give Wieters 3 years if they offered it to Castillo. Its probably the best spot for Wieters, aside from not getting what he felt he's worth. . 

Edited by jabba2

MW may have to settle for a 3 yr/30mil deal which is about what he is worth. 

If he gets anywhere near such an offer, he'd better jump and take it before the GM sobers up the next morning.

Especially when his backup had, wait, what was Joseph's RBI total for the year again? 

Never mind, I looked it up. That would be ZERO. ZERO RBI, ZERO HR, ZERO 3B, a WHOPPING 3 doubles. and a .174 AVERAGE. Yep, we would have been better with him as the everyday starter. 

Thanks for everything Matt but I'm personally not gonna miss that slow looping swing, slow dribblers/ bouncers to 2B, pop-ups/ lazy fly balls and (like watching Hardy) literally pains me to watch him run the bases. Especially at $17+ million a year. I like Wieters but agree, time to move on.

Matt and his agent really over estimated his value on the open market. I just read the rumor page about him. And no one is interested in giving him a long term contract, or the kind of money he's asking for. All the DC speculation seems to have been overblown, since they have two solid catchers, and really value pitch framing. Matt is terrible at that aspect of the game. The Angels have been talking to themselves about him, but they to, are waiting for him to come back down to earth and reality, in his asking price. Right about now, he's probably realizing that the grass isn't greener in free agency. 

30+ year old catchers, with rapidly deteriorating defensive skills, and a one dimensional bat, just aren't that valuable. You'd think an agent like Boras would have recognized this. 

The O's look like they'll be a boring team this year, but no MW will make them a little more interesting for me to watch. 

I downloaded Chris Crawford's MLB top 20 prospects by team for a few bucks earlier this AM. He's done work for ESPN, Baseball Prospectus among others.

Here's his writeup on Cisco:

1. Chance Sisco

Position: C

Bats/Throws: L/R

Acquired: Draft, 61st overall, 2013 

Height/Weight:  6’2” 195 lbs. 

D.O.B.: 02/24/1995

Scouting Report

Hit: Sisco is a smart hitter; one with superb hand-eye coordination and an advanced feel for the strike zone. His swing is quick with little wasted movement, and it allows him to make hard contact up the middle and to the opposite field.

Power: Sisco’s swing is geared toward contact, as there isn’t much leverage or loft in his stroke. Having said that, he is a strong hitter, and we saw him hit a bomb the opposite way in the Futures Game that suggested there’s more power here than anticipated. It’s one moment, but it does say 12 to 15 homer seasons are possible.

Speed: Sisco is not a plodder, but he won’t steal many bases or get first to third very often.

Glove/Arm: There’s still work to be done before Sisco is a big-league ready catcher, but the progress he’s made since he was a prep is impressive. The hands are softer, he’s quicker out of his crotch, and that makes his average arm play better. He still has a tendency to stab at the ball, but it’s less frequent, and he no longer is a lock to move off the position.

Future Grades:

Hit: 60

Power: 40

Speed: 30

Glove: 50

Arm: 50

Summary: This is not a good system, but Sisco is not a consolation prize as the best player in the system. Catchers who can get on base and hit for average are not terribly common, so if Sisco can stay behind the plate, he’s going to be very valuable. If he was to move off the position he’d still have a chance to play everyday because of the hit tool, but the value would drop precipitously. It doesn’t look like that’s going to be necessary, however, and Sisco could be the Orioles everyday backstop as soon as this summer. 

Matt and his agent really over estimated his value on the open market. I just read the rumor page about him. And no one is interested in giving him a long term contract, or the kind of money he's asking for. All the DC speculation seems to have been overblown, since they have two solid catchers, and really value pitch framing. Matt is terrible at that aspect of the game. The Angels have been talking to themselves about him, but they to, are waiting for him to come back down to earth and reality, in his asking price. Right about now, he's probably realizing that the grass isn't greener in free agency. 

30+ year old catchers, with rapidly deteriorating defensive skills, and a one dimensional bat, just aren't that valuable. You'd think an agent like Boras would have recognized this. 

The O's look like they'll be a boring team this year, but no MW will make them a little more interesting for me to watch. 

You should of sent this to Boras a couple months ago.  Nailed it.  Well Matt scooped 24mil from the O's the last 2 years for minimal production, so we cant feel too bad for him.  Love seeing that tool Boras get stiffed. 

He's fast out of his crotch?   ;)

Yeah, he's a noted MLB draft and prospect guru, but probably could've proofread it somewhat more closely than he apparently did. 

Thanks Enoch

You can buy each league's division's team write-ups for $1.99/ea, Or all of MLB for $9.99. Though the NL teams won't be made available until later this week. Also, there's a link to a MLB 2017 draft guide for $3.99 on that page as well. 

(I've preordered Baseball Prospectus, and plan on picking up The Hardball Times (Fangraphs) Baseball Annual 2017, and Ron Shandler's Baseball Forecaster as well. 

This stuff is arguably 51% of why I love baseball.  B)

Edited by EnochRoot