Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tootsie

Bye Weiters

209 posts in this topic

Other teams should have been so 'unlucky' to have him as part of their organization.

I agree. Injuries happens, it's part of the game and he just wasn't the same after the injury and subsequent TJ surgery.

Agree.  He could dip even farther in the NL.  He is a .230-240 hitter as it is now.

I suspect his power numbers will drop, now that he isn't playing 81 games in a bandbox. Unless I'm mistaken, Nationals park isn't as homer friendly. 

weirdo posted:
ChippewaJoe, on 24 Feb 2017 - 8:59 PM, said:
"Other teams should have been so 'unlucky' to have him as part of their organization."

I think you're combining multiple comments into one final assessment that O's fans hated the guy. That's not true at all. The harshest criticism on MW, is that he was a bust, because he didn't live up to the hype. And that's an opinion that is shared by a small percentage of the O's fan base. As I've said before, I never judged him by how well he lived up to the hype. He was a very good catcher, for a few years. But he isn't that same All Star caliber player any longer. And that's why most of us are glad to see him go. It's not about what he did in the past. It's what he does, going forward. And going forward in Baltimore meant giving him a minimum of $120M for 7 years. If you think he's a $17M+/yr player worthy of a long term commitment, then I can understand your disappointment that he wasn't drafted by the Tigers. But the baseball industry obviously feels differently. He's a $10M/yr player, and no one wanted to be anchored to him for multiple years.

So it's not just O's fans who didn't share Matt's opinion of his worth on the open market

Of course, I was commenting on those O's fans who dissed Matt.  And I stated that he might well have been 'the' missing piece for Detroit, had he come up in that organization at that time, instead of here with the overblown hype.  Look at Alex Avila's numbers (other than 2011), and you'll understand that opinion. I never said anything about him staying, or 'going forward' or thinking he's worth x amount or y amount.

I did get a chuckle when reading about his comment that 'God led him to where he is now'.  I always read that as 'In God We Trust', i.e., how many greenbacks a player was offered.

You think there would have been a sizeable return for that .230 hitting catcher?.

I never said that and I would challenge anyone to prove me wrong.

Just don't understand why the Front Office wouldn't unload an overpaid veteran for prospects, if that person is supposedly so valuable.

Just don't understand why the Front Office wouldn't unload an overpaid veteran for prospects, if that person is supposedly so valuable.

You dont get prospects for a guy nobody wants

weirdo posted:

ChippewaJoe, on 24 Feb 2017 - 8:59 PM, said:

"Other teams should have been so 'unlucky' to have him as part of their organization."

I think you're combining multiple comments into one final assessment that O's fans hated the guy. That's not true at all. The harshest criticism on MW, is that he was a bust, because he didn't live up to the hype. And that's an opinion that is shared by a small percentage of the O's fan base. As I've said before, I never judged him by how well he lived up to the hype. He was a very good catcher, for a few years. But he isn't that same All Star caliber player any longer. And that's why most of us are glad to see him go. It's not about what he did in the past. It's what he does, going forward. And going forward in Baltimore meant giving him a minimum of $120M for 7 years. If you think he's a $17M+/yr player worthy of a long term commitment, then I can understand your disappointment that he wasn't drafted by the Tigers. But the baseball industry obviously feels differently. He's a $10M/yr player, and no one wanted to be anchored to him for multiple years.

So it's not just O's fans who didn't share Matt's opinion of his worth on the open market

Of course, I was commenting on those O's fans who dissed Matt.  And I stated that he might well have been 'the' missing piece for Detroit, had he come up in that organization at that time, instead of here with the overblown hype.  Look at Alex Avila's numbers (other than 2011), and you'll understand that opinion. I never said anything about him staying, or 'going forward' or thinking he's worth x amount or y amount.

I did get a chuckle when reading about his comment that 'God led him to where he is now'.  I always read that as 'In God We Trust', i.e., how many greenbacks a player was offered.

Just to clarify, what I was saying is that your post makes it sound like you're taking the "MW was a bust" comment, and attributing it as the opinion held by the broader fan base. And that's not the case. Most fan's appreciated his talents and his contributions. Personally, I haven't heard anyone say, "good riddance".

Ha, me too. Isn't it amazing how God always leads these guys to the most money? My favorite "God brought me here" comment was when Josh Hamilton went to Anaheim. He really took it to a new level, in his press conference.  

And no one said he was valuable. Look at what happened this offseason with him.

He wasn't as bad as you said and no one would have traded for him, much less given up prospects of any value.

Ha, me too. Isn't it amazing how God always leads these guys to the most money? My favorite "God brought me here" comment was when Josh Hamilton went to Anaheim. He really took it to a new level, in his press conference.  

What church do these guys attend? I may need to join.