#21 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,630 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:55 AM

Next to nothing, eh?

An all-star catcher that is supposedly one of the best at his position?

I just find it surprising for an organization whose Farm System is barren, that Big Dan just didn't have the foresight or vision to explore a trade.

You mean the all star catcher that is currently looking for a job? How do you know Dan didn't look for a trade and found no suitors? Oh wait, are you one of those guys who has a cousin, who's sister's nephew's girlfriend works in Duquette's office? :D
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#22 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,630 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:57 AM

I don't know what is so surprising about the Orioles holding on to Wieters. That doesn't demonstrate a lack of vision; it's just baseball common sense.

Exactly!!!!!!

#23 alienrace

alienrace

Don't run - we are your friends!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,368 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:39 AM

Weiters never lived up to the hype.  He was ok, offensively, better than average defensively.  Sisco is the future, so this move makes some sense. 

The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

#24 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:47 AM

Wieters is water under the bridge.  Its like talking about why we didn't hold on to Markakis and Cruz.  Fact is, I think we have a solid catching duo with Castillo and Joseph.  With 450 ABs, I could see Castillo hitting 20 dingers at the Yard next year. The number that jumps out with me on Castillo is his ability to drive in runs.  With a crappy AZ offense the last 2 years he managed to drive in 118 runs in 717ABs.  By comparison, Wieters drove in 91 the last 2 years in 681 ABs.  He could bat 6th if need be. 

As the saying goes, thanks for the memories Matt, but don't let the door hit you in the rear end on your way out. 

#25 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:49 AM

I'm hopeful on Sisco, but I'm not banking on him as a ML catcher.  A full year at AAA next year will help fill in the story.  I think his bat plays in the big leagues regardless.

#26 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,574 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:50 AM

2012 was MW's peak season, both offensively and defensively. Even in that peak season, he wasn't a $17M/yr player. If you could somehow guarantee that he'd give you that production, for each year of his contract extension, it would still be an overpay.  

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#27 pitbull

pitbull

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,382 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:18 AM

You would have complained about that.

?????

The way some of you folks talk about Matt Wieters, you'd think he was Babe Ruth.

No, he's a catcher that hits .230.

#28 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:36 AM

I still think MWs lack of top flight conditioning hurt his production the last 4 years.  The elbow set him back for sure.  But I really expected to see a more fit MW in 2015 and 2016.  that's one thing we don't have to worry about with Crush.  The guy is a dedicated monster to being in top shape. That's why he can still play a decent RF.

#29 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,630 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:20 AM

?????

The way some of you folks talk about Matt Wieters, you'd think he was Babe Ruth.

Yet you somehow thought he was going to bring a king's ransom in a trade. Dude you're a riot. :D

#30 mdrunning

mdrunning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,558 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:29 AM

?????

You're contradicting yourself. Before this, you said he was an all-star catcher who was supposed to be one of the best at his position. Now he's just a .230 hitting catcher.

#31 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,574 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:34 PM

I was listening to the Fan. A guy called in to praise MW for being an awesome player. He said he could name 8 times, at least, where MW scored the game winning run. And he could name 5 more where his D saved the other team from tying or winning the game. He went on to say he was an all around clutch hitter

I can remember 3 game winning hits, and I watched pretty much all 162. Maybe I missed the other 5 games. But there is no way MW can remotely be called "clutch". 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#32 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:04 PM

I agree overall Wieters wasn't that clutch.  I think he may have hit 2 walk off homers this year which kind of stand out.  But look back at his career and his best RBI total was 83 in 526ABs.  And he was always hitting in the middle of the line-up at 4-6 slot.  And I said before he only had 91 RBIs his last 681ABs.  That's very mediocre.  I'm telling you we won't miss this guy one bit now that we have Castillo with Joseph backing up.

#33 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,574 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:07 PM

I agree overall Wieters wasn't that clutch.  I think he may have hit 2 walk off homers this year which kind of stand out.  But look back at his career and his best RBI total was 83 in 526ABs.  And he was always hitting in the middle of the line-up at 4-6 slot.  And I said before he only had 91 RBIs his last 681ABs.  That's very mediocre.  I'm telling you we won't miss this guy one bit now that we have Castillo with Joseph backing up.

That's what I remember, and the 3rd walk off was a hit that scored the winning run from 2B. But there were many more times where he could have tied or taken the lead, and he choked. People develop an opinion, and it becomes fact to them. I like MW. For the right money, he's a solid player. But he wasn't an impact player. He was a nice complimentary type player. 

#34 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,849 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:39 PM

That's what I remember, and the 3rd walk off was a hit that scored the winning run from 2B. But there were many more times where he could have tied or taken the lead, and he choked. People develop an opinion, and it becomes fact to them. I like MW. For the right money, he's a solid player. But he wasn't an impact player. He was a nice complimentary type player. 

Definitely not the person you want at the plate with 2 outs and runners on. 

#35 pitbull

pitbull

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,382 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:49 PM

Yet you somehow thought he was going to bring a king's ransom in a trade. Dude you're a riot. :D

No, you're a riot. I never said that, so u must be thinking of something else. It would be nice to have legitimate discussions on this forum with people that know what they're talking about and avoid misinformation.

#36 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,294 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:56 PM

No one has mentioned that Castillo led MLB catchers in passed balls and errors.

#37 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,630 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:00 PM

No, you're a riot. I never said that, so u must be thinking of something else. It would be nice to have legitimate discussions on this forum with people that know what they're talking about and avoid misinformation.

A legitimate discussion? Explain how trading your starting catcher in the middle of a pennant race makes your team better is a legitimate discussion. Give me a break.

Edited by bmore_ken, 15 December 2016 - 03:01 PM.

#38 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:02 PM

Yeah Rob, not great defensively last year except throwing guys out.

#39 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,849 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:04 PM

No one has mentioned that Castillo led MLB catchers in passed balls and errors.

Catching when Ubaldo pitches should be interesting.  :o

#40 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:18 PM

In hindsight I'm sure glad DD declined to offer MW a QO.  Boras is no dummy he may have grabbed the 17.2 mil.  As it stands now MW may have trouble snagging more than 10mil/yr on a 3 year deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users