Bye Weiters

• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

#41 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,574 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:29 PM

No one has mentioned that Castillo led MLB catchers in passed balls and errors.

I've been hearing that stat mentioned on the radio. He's no D whiz, that's for sure, but it seems to be understood that MW got some favorable calls from the hometown score keeper. It's been repeatedly mentioned that there were 32 pitches in the dirt, and at least some of them were balls that Matty should have smothered, but didn't. The score keeper tacked them onto the pitcher, instead of Matt.

I wasn't too worried about those possible passed balls, until Ivan pointed out the Ubaldo factor. That might turn ugly.   

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#42 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,294 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:54 PM

I've been hearing that stat mentioned on the radio. He's no D whiz, that's for sure, but it seems to be understood that MW got some favorable calls from the hometown score keeper. It's been repeatedly mentioned that there were 32 pitches in the dirt, and at least some of them were balls that Matty should have smothered, but didn't. The score keeper tacked them onto the pitcher, instead of Matt.

I wasn't too worried about those possible passed balls, until Ivan pointed out the Ubaldo factor. That might turn ugly.   

Yeah... that is an alarming thought.

If you were going to bring in a below average defensive catcher, why not just go with Joseph and Cisco?

#43 pitbull

pitbull

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,382 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:25 PM

A legitimate discussion? Explain how trading your starting catcher in the middle of a pennant race makes your team better is a legitimate discussion. Give me a break.

?????

So you think a .230-hitting catcher was the reason the Orioles clinched the big opportunity to play in a Wild Card game? Got it. SMH

#44 pitbull

pitbull

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,382 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:26 PM

You mean the all star catcher that is currently looking for a job? How do you know Dan didn't look for a trade and found no suitors? Oh wait, are you one of those guys who has a cousin, who's sister's nephew's girlfriend works in Duquette's office? :D

Hahahah. Yeah. I actually married a Duquette ;)

#45 russsnyder

russsnyder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:55 PM

I don't think that Wieters or any other MLB catcher gets a favorable call when they don't handle a pitch that is in the dirt. If the pitch hits the dirt and the runner advances it is called a wild pitch more often than not. I do think that MW struggled quite a bit with pitches in the dirt after He injured his foot. ( particularly to this right.)

I don't think that there will be an appreciable drop off in defense from castillo. Showalter values defense from the position and 

I don;t think that they would have signed him if He was a butcher. 

I liked MW, but Castillo is a real good value signing.

Edited by russsnyder, 15 December 2016 - 09:54 PM.

#46 mdrunning

mdrunning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,558 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:57 PM

?????

So you think a .230-hitting catcher was the reason the Orioles clinched the big opportunity to play in a Wild Card game? Got it. SMH

If he's nothing more than just a .230 hitting catcher, why do you think he would have been valuable in a trade?

#47 mdrunning

mdrunning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,558 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:04 PM

I don't think that Wieters or any other MLB catcher gets a favorable call when they don't handle a pitch that is in the dirt. If the pitch hits the dirt and the runner advances it is called a wild pitch more often than not. I do think that MW struggled quite a bit with pitches in the dirt after He injured his foot. ( particularly to this right.)

I don't think that there will be an appreciable drop off in defense from castillo. Showalter values defense from the position and 

I think so as well. Six million for one year and a player option for a second year at $7 million. That's less than the Orioles paid Wieters for last year alone.

Of course, lest we not forget, the agreement is pending a team physical, which never seems to be a mere formality in Birdland.

#48 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,630 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:49 PM

If he's nothing more than just a .230 hitting catcher, why do you think he would have been valuable in a trade?

Is it just me that thinks he's a cartoon?  :D  :D

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#49 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,574 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:38 AM

This point stood out for me too. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#50 bleedingorangeandblack

bleedingorangeandblack

Proud Father of 4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,947 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:40 AM

He passed his physical
Whew
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] O's new slogan

#51 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,294 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 December 2016 - 03:14 PM

from ESPN:

New Orioles catcher Welington Castillo rates highly in pitch blocking. According to Baseball Info Solutions, Castillo blocked 775 pitches (preventing base runner movement), the most in MLB. Castillo's 94% block rate ranked 8th and helped him finish with 2 defensive runs saved, the 2nd time he's finished with a positive total.

Also:

CASTILLO SHOULD BE UPGRADE FOR ORIOLES

The O's agreed to a deal with free-agent catcher Welington Castillo on Wednesday. Castillo had a 2.4 WAR last season, while Baltimore's two main catchers -- Matt Wieters and Caleb Joseph -- combined for 0.7 WAR (1.7 for Wieters, -1.0 for Joseph), ESPN Stats & Info notes.

#52 Pickle20

Pickle20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,438 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 04:10 PM

Kinda sad to see MW go.

He wasn't very good -- not nearly as good as he was supposed to be -- but he seemed to come up big in crucial situations.

Oh well. Castillo seems like the same player, for probably much less.

No complaints.

#53 dshawg1

dshawg1

Let's Go O's!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,633 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 10:27 AM

Any thoughts on where MW ends up. Early favorites are probably Atlanta and DC. 

Coed Flag Football, Basketball, Dodgeball, Softball, Kickball & More!
http://www.PlayBaltimore.com

Free Real Estate/Financial Tips:
www.FinancialHangout.com

#54 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,637 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 03:52 PM

As a Braves fan I hope not! I like what we don't have rather than add MW. 

#55 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,553 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 17 December 2016 - 06:03 PM

Kinda sad to see MW go.

He wasn't very good -- not nearly as good as he was supposed to be -- but he seemed to come up big in crucial situations.

Oh well. Castillo seems like the same player, for probably much less.

No complaints.

For a couple of years there, he was one of the best offensive catchers in the game.

#56 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

Posting Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,630 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 06:06 PM

Hopefully wherever it is, I won't have to deal with two seasons of whining on this board about how we should have signed him like when Cruz and Miller left   :lol:  :lol:

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#57 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 07:03 PM

Hopefully wherever it is, I won't have to deal with two seasons of whining on this board about how we should have signed him like when Cruz and Miller left   :lol:  :lol:

I think you are pretty safe.  If anything, MW is sliding.  So those mediocre numbers and should keep coming if not be worse.  Thus no whining. People tend to have long memories when studs like Cruz and Miller get away and keep on being lights out. Just human nature.

#58 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,574 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:30 AM

I remember when DD came on board, one of his early moves, was an attempt to extend MW. The response from his camp was a flat out, "No thanks". He didn't want to be here, and the only reason he took the QO, was because it was a sound business decision. Boras told him to take the ridiculous money that came with the one year deal, prove to the league that he was 100% again, then take his 2012 self out to the market. The only problem is, it's not 2012, and MW isn't the player he was in 2012. I'm beyond relieved that he won't be coming back. 

#59 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:54 AM

Yeah Weird totally agree.  Apparently, Boras tried the end run again before we signed Castillo.  Called Petey direct trying to hornswaggle him like he did last year with Davis.  I guess Petey wised up this year.  Pretty ironic Boras and MW came back begging for a deal, and were told to hit the bricks.  Karma, baby, karma!!

#60 Pickle20

Pickle20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,438 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:23 AM

Atlanta has Flowers who is ~Wieters.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him go to DC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users