Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EL-FLIPPO

Yahoo Confirms Second Hack - The Largest In Internet History

2 posts in this topic

We believe an unauthorized third party, in August 2013, stole data associated with more than 1 billion user accounts. The latest breach means a large swath of the technology giant’s customers have had their emails, passwords, dates of birth, encrypted and de-encrypted security questions, telephone numbers and names made vulnerable by an unknown third party.

The New York Times reported in early November that 29 separate lawsuits have been filed against Yahoo, with claims almost universally centering on whether the company acted sufficiently to protect its clients’ personal data. “Yahoo was so grossly negligent in securing its users’ personal information that it says that it did not even discover the incident until the summer of 2016,” plaintiff Ronald Schwartz said in a lawsuit filed in federal court in San Jose.

I had a Yahoo email account and had joined several Yahoo Groups 4 or 5 years ago. But I left the Groups and deleted my email account after receiving 5-6 spam emails daily over a span of 6 months, plus regular updates from the groups I had previously opted out of. Wouldn't be surprised if this was fallout from one or both Yahoo hacks.

Now when I register with a website, I ALWAYS use a fake name, fake birthdate, and throwaway email address. And with few exceptions, my online purchases go through PayPal or a temporary debit-card account set up for a one-off transaction. Then it's deactivated.

I messed with Yahoo a little way way back but I never really liked it. My Fav search engine was WebCrawler for years and I used AltaVista for a little till I finally caved to Google. Use Bing right in my browser bar mostly now. Thought Yahoo was all but dead with their financial woes. Surprised anyone really uses them at all anymore. For Email my 1st was of course my AOL acct and I can't even remember what that was anymore but I dumped them when I got on DSL and off 56K and had a bellatlantic.net address. That went when I switched to MSN.com and have been with them ever since. Now on Comcast I have an email acct with them but I never use it. I like my MSN Premium suite even though it costs extra. Briefly had a Gmail acct for my phone but I dropped out of Google except for YouTube and I can sign in to some stuff with G+ but I don't use Email on my phone at all. I keep my mail on my PC & Laptops. At least a dozen apps I wish I could delete from the phone. I'd get them and the Email app off the phone entirely if I could but I can't. I'd like to Root my phone and get rid of the Junk like FB and all I don't use but it's too complicated and risky.

Edited by Bartman